Dual Tuners missing cables...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
By way of introduction, let me just say that I hate Dishnetwork.

Lately they have been failing to include the 6' coax RG59 jumper(s) that come with dual tuners (namely, the 322 and 625). They are a bunch of cheap elitest nazis. For a while it went from TWO of these jumpers down to ONE. Which is bad enough. But now they have NONE!? WHAT GIVES?! It costs me $0.50 to make a jumper, times four TVs on an average install, times 3 installs a day, times 5 days a week, times four weeks in a month... That's $120 a month. That PISSES ME OFF. I bet the same cables cost them AT MOST $0.20 at the quantities they purchase. Not to mention the extra 2-3 minutes it takes to make the jumper...

Any installers with me on this?

Oh, I totally agree with you on this one. I think Dish's reasons are two-fold. First of all, it does save them some $$ in the long run. And secondly, how often have you found those very same RG-59 cables to be defective, eh? In my personal experience I've found almost 8 or 10 percent of them to be junk.

No offense dude, but if you're paying $.50 in materials for a jumper, then you're paying too much for in-door fittings. Get some cheap-o Gilberts or off-brand compression fittings for the inside work. Save the good (and more expensive) fittings for the LNB, groundblock, diplexer, etc.

Lately they have been failing to include the 6' coax RG59 jumper(s) that come with dual tuners (namely, the 322 and 625). They are a bunch of cheap elitest nazis. For a while it went from TWO of these jumpers down to ONE. Which is bad enough. But now they have NONE!? WHAT GIVES?! It costs me $0.50 to make a jumper, times four TVs on an average install, times 3 installs a day, times 5 days a week, times four weeks in a month... That's $120 a month. That PISSES ME OFF. I bet the same cables cost them AT MOST $0.20 at the quantities they purchase. Not to mention the extra 2-3 minutes it takes to make the jumper...

If you go off like this over a 1.00$ maybe you need to look for a new line of work.

By the opening statement, I would say don't do their jobs anymore. I for one, as a customer, hearing that an installer is going to be coming to my house and he hates the group he is installing for, I would prefer he turn is ass around and have a nice day.

I feel for you!

Last edited:
as usual the customer doesnt understand what the first guy was trying to say and all . If he was the installer then he might hav a diferent take on it hmm hey why dont ya just take 120 dollars once a month and toss it out the window and tell me what ya think then

as usual the customer doesnt understand what the first guy was trying to say and all . If he was the installer then he might hav a diferent take on it hmm hey why dont ya just take 120 dollars once a month and toss it out the window and tell me what ya think then

No the customer understands completely. The installer says he hates the company I have asked him to install into my home.
You do the job correctly and show me that you believe in the product you are installing, the tip you get will far exceed (and it did) the $1.00 extra you spent to put the system in, in fact, you would have received enough of a tip to install 25 of them.
But you come into my house hating the company I have hired you to install and conveying thata to me, then I am more than happy to ask you to go somewhere else and try and get that dollar back! :rolleyes:

My 622 installed 1 week ago had 1 6ft coax in the box and my tech did not like it so went to truck and made 2 new ones with blue compression fittings and never said a word about Dish being cheap. He did say he liked to do the best job possible even though it might cost him in the end. I think my tip covered it plus. My tip for the first poster would have been "Have a nice day" see ya latter.

Unfortunately, squeezing pennies is a business practice at dish network. So much so that it effects its employees even. Lowering health insurance coverage for example.. Its sad. Everyone suffers in the end just so charlie can have a little more money.

That's not a fight you want to start on these forums...

I never said that I didnt like my job I actually do like what I do ery much BUT when I started all that was included in the box even with D* they are doing the same thing and yes it is a lil aggrevating that they take some things out like that and you have to put what they take away from your pocket and lets see lets say you work in a office environment and you pay for all your paper and pens and whatever you use in your everyday job and just have them take it out of your check every week and then see what you think about that and he didnt say he does a terrible job he was just aggrevated that they are taking this away and he has to put it back on his dime

My 622 installed 1 week ago had 1 6ft coax in the box and my tech did not like it so went to truck and made 2 new ones with blue compression fittings and never said a word about Dish being cheap. He did say he liked to do the best job possible even though it might cost him in the end. I think my tip covered it plus. My tip for the first poster would have been "Have a nice day" see ya latter.

The OP wasn't referring to the jumper cable coming into the receiver. Most techs won't use RG-59 to supply signal. :p

He was referring to the jumper cable feeding the television. The 622 is a moot point. You'll either use components or HDMI.

And yes, it does become a bit aggravating to make a few cables for each house. Granted, it's only an extra five minutes per install. Over the course of a week...or a month...it does add up. Much like the actual costs of said supplies. Not to reiterate, but $100/month out of your paycheck is a bummer, wouldn't you agree?

By the opening statement, I would say don't do their jobs anymore. I for one, as a customer, hearing that an installer is going to be coming to my house and he hates the group he is installing for, I would prefer he turn is ass around and have a nice day.

OOOH buddy. I understand where you're coming from and the attitude you're afraid of, but you don't know the half of it. Did you read my sig? I don't own a TV by CHOICE. I'd love to get out of this line of work, and I'm planning on it. Just not in the near future. (I don't hate the retailer I get most of my work from. He's a fairly smooth operator, and I'm happy enough with his performance. I'll be giving him a two month notice MINIMALLY if and WHEN I decide to move on to work that's easier on the conscience.)

I don't sell these systems. I can't. I simply can't SELL a product I believe so strongly against. (Ironcially I'd probably be the best salesman because almost every sales complaint has to do with promises made by sales personel that went unfufilled - HD Locals in all markets; quoted a certain price without explaining need for phone lines; etc. All these... 'deceptions' stem from a strong desire to make the sale. I have a desire to kill the sale, so I'd give AAALLLLL the negatives first. I dunno, maybe it's just me. If I were bying something I'd want THAT kind of salesman.) Also note that I'm not saying Dish is terrible specifically in relation to their competition. Dish is actually the best (IMHO) at what they do. Best prices, best HD offerings, best picture quality, etc. It's the overwhelmingly vast majority of what is brodcast that I don't like (regardless of the carrier - Dish, OTA, Direct, Cable).

But I can and do INSTALL the systems. It's just grunt work. It doesn't take any passion or belief in Dish Network. I could do this for Direct TV or Time Warner or whoever. I don't like those companies either. But yeah, you really WOULD like me to do your installation very much so. Not because of my belief in Dish but because of my belief in Another. Hey, some people even appreciate my ability to seperate my fealty from a particulary company who gives me most my work. I'm able to tell them with no internal hesitation at all that Time Warner does internet faster, and that lots of people hate Dish HD Lite.

I do get tips from time to time (just got one yesterday, in fact) but it's rare. I don't go out of my way to earn an extra $10-$20. It's just a matter of personal experience and financial common sense. I've found the extra 30 to 60 min I'd have to spend at a job site trying to impress a customer for a SMALL CHANCE (not many people tip) to get $20 just isn't worth it when I could get a job done efficiently, and go do another service call for a guaranteed $35 (minimally) in the same amount of time.

Having said all that, keep in mind I do NOT attempt to kill sales that dishnetwork has already made! When I go to a customer's house, I go out of my way to NOT discuss prices and promises made by Dish. I want to get jobs DONE, not downed. I tell the customer what I know but remind them I'm only a tech. I don't know product info like the CSRs. I remind them that they have a window in which to cancel completely with no penalties if they find they must but I do what I can get MY end of the work done and keep the customer happy.

No offense dude, but if you're paying $.50 in materials for a jumper, then you're paying too much for in-door fittings. Get some cheap-o Gilberts or off-brand compression fittings for the inside work. Save the good (and more expensive) fittings for the LNB, groundblock, diplexer, etc.

Are you talking about the hex type crimper ones? I do use those for short (6") jumpers that I can prepair before hand (at home)... But I don't think its practical to try to lug around another type of fitting with another crimper tool. Besides, technically, we aren't allowed to use them even in doors! Despite the fact that the jumpers that Dish includes (like, with the DPP Sperator) are exactly those kind of fittings! :(

I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the entire installation now must have RG-6. That and save a few buck a roo's.

4 room, figure 15 minutes extra to make jumpers * 3 / day 45 minutes added to each day, it adds up.

Makes me wonder why the DPP Seperator has the hex type. Next thing you know.....

Are you talking about the hex type crimper ones? I do use those for short (6") jumpers that I can prepair before hand (at home)... But I don't think its practical to try to lug around another type of fitting with another crimper tool. Besides, technically, we aren't allowed to use them even in doors! Despite the fact that the jumpers that Dish includes (like, with the DPP Sperator) are exactly those kind of fittings! :(

Actually, I'm talking about THESE fittings...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gilbert-RG-6-Fi...ryZ39803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The RSP I contract with has an "approved DNS" list. It seems PPC is the winner. But with that said, the Gilberts will also work with standard compression crimpers.

As far as being "allowed"....I think as long as you're comfortable with the install, then there shouldn't be any issue. Most QC guys don't go indoors :cool:

Actually, I'm talking about THESE fittings...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gilbert-RG-6-Fi...ryZ39803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The RSP I contract with has an "approved DNS" list. It seems PPC is the winner. But with that said, the Gilberts will also work with standard compression crimpers.

As far as being "allowed"....I think as long as you're comfortable with the install, then there shouldn't be any issue. Most QC guys don't go indoors :cool:

Nice price. I'd have to hold them in my hand to see exactly how they seal. Right now I get about $0.20 a pop on my lock N seals, and about $0.14 a pop on the cheapy hex crimp type. Those Gilberts LOOK better than the hex type and in the end that's what matters most for QCs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)