Dumb 811 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Martimus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I've been away from this site for quite a while so please forgive me if this is the 1000th time this question has been posted!!

A friend just gave me a free Dish 811 receiver. :cool: I swapped this receiver for my existing ancient 4900 receiver a couple of weeks ago. This is a second receiver on my account. The primary is a 721. Yes I do have a couple of archaic receivers but, thankfully, they both work! :D

Earlier today I got the crazy idea to call Dish Network to see if I could add BASIC HD programming to my account. The rep told me that the 811 is not compatible with Dish Network's current HD programming. WTF? :eek: To be sure I connected to Dish Live Chat and asked the question again... same response!

Is there any way around this? Or am I going to have to replace the 811 with a newer HD receiver? Thanks in advance for your responses! :up

The 811 is a MPEG2 HD receiver and all the new channels are MPEG4

There was (is?) a HD pack that is for the 811/921/942 but you had to be grandfathered on it. It was like 10 bucks for 5 channels (edit: it was ESPNHD, TNTHD, HDNET, HDMovies, HD theatre in that pack)

reason you cant get the new HD is the box isnt compatible with the new channels

I use a 811 mainly for OTA digital channels...works awesome :)

Ahh... well that explains it! Guess its a good thing that the 811 was a freebee! ;)

Guess I'll just have to start shopping for a new 211 or something similar.... :D

Ahh... well that explains it! Guess its a good thing that the 811 was a freebee! ;)

Guess I'll just have to start shopping for a new 211 or something similar.... :D

A 211 is a much better receiver than an 811.

If you do get a 211 and subscribe to the current complete HD package, you may be able to add the 811 and get the MPEG 2 channels, for at least a little longer.

As Iceberg says it works as an OTA tuner if connected (not activated) to a satellite. I found it didn't handle multipath very well, but in a good location, is a solid OTA tuner.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts