Dumb question about spotbeams

LLodge2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2003
Happy holidays, all!

I have a dumb question regarding spotbeams. How precise are they? I may be relocating from mid-Iowa to the Minneapolis area. Both locals are on the same spotbeam. Would I still be able to pick up the Iowa locals?

(The reason why I'm not keen on just calling Dish and changing my address would be because I would then lose the six MLB teams that I currently get. They would downgrade me only to the Twins. Sure I could go to Direct for MLB, but they don't have the superstations. KTLA, WPIX, etc.) I got spoiled with C-band...

Thanks!

Happy holidays, all!

I have a dumb question regarding spotbeams. How precise are they? I may be relocating from mid-Iowa to the Minneapolis area. Both locals are on the same spotbeam. Would I still be able to pick up the Iowa locals?

(The reason why I'm not keen on just calling Dish and changing my address would be because I would then lose the six MLB teams that I currently get. They would downgrade me only to the Twins. Sure I could go to Direct for MLB, but they don't have the superstations. KTLA, WPIX, etc.) I got spoiled with C-band...

Thanks!

2 to 300 miles around center of the spot generally. The subscription list above can help some with finding spots. They aren't perfect though so it can be hit or miss sometimes depending on which sat.

Some spot beams also had problems hitting the area they were supposed to. Ask the guys outside Williamsport.

Happy holidays, all!

Thanks!

What Iowa locals are you getting today? Looking at the Minneapolis locals both HD and SD, they are not on the same spotbeams at all with any of the Iowa spots. The closest you come is the same satellite, but the transponders and spots are different.

What market in Iowa?

Mason City/Rochester will work
Des Moines & Cedar Rapids HD is real close. They're on the same spotbeam and the coverage should reach Minneapolis
Quad CIties HD is on 77W Conus so it works anywhere in the US...no SD though

Thank you! I am looking at Des Moines SD locals.

Appreciate all the help. :)

You can always go into the point dish screen and see which transponders you can get a signal on. Go to "The List" (link at top of page) see what satellite/transponder your "new" locals exist on, then see if you can get a good signal on those transponders. If the levels are low and flux in and out you are too far away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts