Dumb question

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
What are those little hand held thingy scopes called that installers use to find where their satellites are? Are they expensive? Accurate? Where can they be bought? Price? Worth getting, or just point and tweak on your own?

Thanks.

-k

klen said:
What are those little hand held thingy scopes called that installers use to find where their satellites are? Are they expensive? Accurate? Where can they be bought? Price? Worth getting, or just point and tweak on your own?

Thanks.

-k
Some are expensive and some are not... Here is a link that carries a broad selection of equipment, but there maybe several other companies out there that are more competitive. A cheap one may be the way to go if you are doing a self-install or just want to tweak since they are around 20 bucks or so.

http://www.merchantamerica.com/utahsatellite/index.php?ba=view_category&category=2807

jbphoenix said:
Some are expensive and some are not... Here is a link that carries a broad selection of equipment, but there maybe several other companies out there that are more competitive. A cheap one may be the way to go if you are doing a self-install or just want to tweak since they are around 20 bucks or so.

http://www.merchantamerica.com/utahsatellite/index.php?ba=view_category&category=2807

A "Satellite Finder"! Great name for it. I can probably find one at Radio Shack or somehwere else that suits my needs. Thanks for the info.

-k

I bought one for $200.

It is metal, has a compass and inclinometer, both see through, so you can see exact obstructions.

I take my little 13" TV outside with me and connect it to the stb so I can hear the pitch of the signal strength and see the color of the bar. The cheap signal finders do just that, find a signal but they don't tell you what sat it is. Positioning a dish is a breeze if you have a compass, just set the azimuth, making sure your post is dead straight vertical, thing slowly swing the sat until you find a beep then fine tune it, peice of cake.

A buddy of mine moved and wanted help putting up his dishes and he thought I'd never find 61.5 at his new house. I had it tuned in within 5 minutes of mounting the mast.

DarrellP said:
I take my little 13" TV outside with me and connect it to the stb so I can hear the pitch of the signal strength and see the color of the bar. The cheap signal finders do just that, find a signal but they don't tell you what sat it is. Positioning a dish is a breeze if you have a compass, just set the azimuth, making sure your post is dead straight vertical, thing slowly swing the sat until you find a beep then fine tune it, peice of cake.

A buddy of mine moved and wanted help putting up his dishes and he thought I'd never find 61.5 at his new house. I had it tuned in within 5 minutes of mounting the mast.

When you see some of the installers, they make it look hard. But then, many installers make some amazing basic mistakes......

-k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts