Dumb questions about Dish

adamevans

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
So, I'm seriously thinking about switching from Directv to Dish for the abundance of HD channels (even though I only got it a week ago--I screwed up and didn't do my homework!). However, I'm not really familiar with Dish, and I'm very uncomfortable with change as it is. I'm finding their website to be hard to decipher, so I have some dumb questions.

The Dish HD-DVR... I can record two channels at once like with my current DVR, yes? Dish seems to have two HD-DVRs, and I wasn't clear if you could do it on either model.

With Dish's DVR, can I still record only new shows, record shows automatically, etc?

Also, I happened to live in one of the areas where Directv was going to give Local HD channels by the end of the year (Springfield, MO). Is it likely that Dish will be doing that not long afterwards?

There are only two kinds of dumb questions.

1. The question not asked.
2. The question asked, for which there are plenty of answers sitting right in front of you.

ViP622 DVR has two satellite and one OTA tuner. You can record three things at once.

Many advanced features on how to schedule recordings.

As far as future HD locals rollout, I don't know that answer but it's already answered here somewhere.

Dish only has 1 HD DVR - the ViP 622. Any other model is obsolete and unavailable from Dish. You can record all episodes, new episodes, or set up a "Dish Pass". Someone else can explain the Dish Pass as I never use it. I find the recording capabilities very flexible although I've never owned a Tivo so I can't compare.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Thought of another question. With my Directv, to get HD and locals I had to have one 5-LNB dish and then a second 1-LNB dish. I'm guessing I won't require such a massive setup if I go to Dish? Like are we talking a huge dish for Dish or multiple dishes?

Depends on your location, but you should get by with a Dish1000 (3LNB Dish). Unless you need another single LNB dish for locals.

Yeah Dish blows Direct out of the water! Anyway most likely you will just need one Dish..

Okay. You guys have swayed me. I'm gonna call up Dish and see what I can get them to bribe me with to switch. :)

Yeah, you know what, though? I've called Dish three times today already (to try and finagle a good switching deal out of them), and each time I've ended up hanging up on the operator because they either CLEARLY didn't know what they were talking about with the packages and/or hardware, or they didn't speak English. Very frustrating.

Okay, now I got another question because one of the (I think misinformed) operators told me that with Dish's HD-DVR I can't watch HD while recording an HD program on another channel. Is that true?

Dude... I'm still determined to switch, but their customer service people really suck.

Okay, now I got another question because one of the (I think misinformed) operators told me that with Dish's HD-DVR I can't watch HD while recording an HD program on another channel. Is that true?

Dude... I'm still determined to switch, but their customer service people really suck.

You can record on one tuner and watch on the other. You can even be recording three programs, tv1, tv2, OTA, and be watching something pre-recorded...

You can record on one tuner and watch on the other. You can even be recording three programs, tv1, tv2, OTA, and be watching something pre-recorded...

Even if TV1 and TV2 are both on HD channels? Because the rep I was talking to was trying to tell me that the second tuner didn't do HD, so if I was recording something in HD, I wouldn't be able to watch another HD channel.

So, that rep was wrong, yeah?

they are always wrong about that.

All tuners are HD capable. The incoming signal is processed at native resolution, conversion to HD or SD is done at output time.

Even if TV1 and TV2 are both on HD channels? Because the rep I was talking to was trying to tell me that the second tuner didn't do HD, so if I was recording something in HD, I wouldn't be able to watch another HD channel.

So, that rep was wrong, yeah?

Before I wrote that I tested it on the 622, believe me it works....

Another one. I was looking at the specs for the 622, and I was looking at the back of it. For the TV2 out, it has RCA jacks. So, if you do the 622 with two TVs, you have to run RCAs all the way into the other room?

I feel like I'm missing something on that one, but maybe not.

Another one. I was looking at the specs for the 622, and I was looking at the back of it. For the TV2 out, it has RCA jacks. So, if you do the 622 with two TVs, you have to run RCAs all the way into the other room?

I feel like I'm missing something on that one, but maybe not.

It also has a coax out where you can run RG-6 to the other tv.

Yeah, you know what, though? I've called Dish three times today already (to try and finagle a good switching deal out of them), and each time I've ended up hanging up on the operator because they either CLEARLY didn't know what they were talking about with the packages and/or hardware, or they didn't speak English. Very frustrating.

First thing you should do is contact D* to see what the cost is going to be to get out of your commitment with them. Let us know what they say please!

First thing you should do is contact D* to see what the cost is going to be to get out of your commitment with them. Let us know what they say please!

Over $100. But since THEY broke their commitment by jerking TNT-HD off every Sunday, they've already said I wouldn't have to pay it. They refuse, however, to refund the $199 upgrade fee for the HD-DVR. For that, I'm taking it to the BBB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)