Dumb ?: Why doesn't Dish build wifi into receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The reason its not built in is because they dont want to support people who can't figure out their wireless networks in their house.

I have seen wireless adapters made for Echostar and they have never been released due to this reason.

I am sure that at least some of the Indians answering the phones at Dish have vast experience at Dell and the other related industry companies that have moved some of their customer support to India.

Shucks, Jim, that ain't what I wanted to hear.

Could you suggest some of the cheaper options for the equipment needed to facilitate the simple function of communicating with Dish's Remote Access for simple scheduling tasks through one's satellite modem/router setup?

Many thanks for your input.

I like dahenny's answer best. I don't believe it's Dish's responsibility to wire up the Ethernet jack when they do (i.e. pay for) an installation. They certainly don't supply a HomePlug bridge to your wired network, nor do they fish cat5 cable through attic, walls, or crawl space to get to your router that way. So why should it suddenly be Dish's responsibility to set up a wireless link correctly, when they don't hook it up at all via any means?

I can't contradict anybody's explanation of the support problem from Dish's point of view. I'm just saying it's a bogus reason for not adding dirt-cheap wifi adapters inside current generation receivers. The HomePlug adapter costs more.

Because there are customers who will make it DISH Networks problem that the WIFI adaptor does not work in their receiver. I can see certain customers I know calling tech support and making a big stink over something like this...

Other issue is that people do not know how to setup and configure a wireless network. If they take it out of the box and it doesn't work, they are on the phone with tech support for a few hours. This is generally not an issue for a company like Linksys or Netgear because if they don't get a solution for you then they tell you too bad. If Dish can't get a solution, then the customer expects a free technician visit.

The Home Plugs are pretty much idiot proof, and I think should be included with every VIP receiver.

Why doesn't a broadband connected RCVR have an internet browser with a IR keyboard and mouse? Maybe I'd like to not get up and go over to my laptop to surf for a few minutes to check on something short and simple.

Before we worry about wifi on a Dish receiver, how about we get them to put a heatsink on the Broadcom chipset inside the dvr. That thing can fry eggs and does fry the hard drive it sits right underneath of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts