Dumped cable today...YEA!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bownze

Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Harrisburg, PA
Hello forum! I discovered this thing called fta tv several months ago. I read up on it and was intrigued. Just like the title says, I dumped cable today. I usually pay my bill annually and get a very meager discount for doing so, like 3% or something. Last year the annual bill was just under $1000 and there was absolutely nothing they would do for me as far as discounting it further. So I let them know if there was a rate hike this year (there always is, and this year was no different) they were GONE. Went to local office to pay the annual payment and of course there was a rate increase they never notified me about and the bill was $1000+. So I told 'em to make TV go bye-bye. Which of course caused my internet to double in price, but that was $450 less than both combined. So I paid up my internet for the year and come Monday...several TV's in my home will have pretty blue screens. Which brings me back to the fta tv. I have read on several message boards this is kinda like a hobby. I don't need any more hobbies. I just need a small variety of QUALITY channels. I have seen the channel list for N. America. There is some interesting stuff there, but there is a lot of stuff I would never tune into e.g. foreign language stuff, religious tv, etc. My son and I watch about a half dozen channels regularly. Discovery, NatGeo, Cartoon Network, Disney, sometimes Nickelodeon, sometimes Spike and 1 local channel for news and weather (yeah, I paid a boatload of money to watch 1/2 dozen channels, and one of them is OTA). I'm sure I could find another 1/2 dozen interesting channels using an fta setup, my main concern is I just want to "set it and forget it". Once it's installed I don't want to have to constantly fiddle with it. I know I have read stationary systems are recommended for newbies (as opposed to motorized dishes) and I am fine with locating a sat with a motorized dish but thats about all I want to do. I wanted to ask for recommendations on a system as well, likely I will be doing the instalation so I need something that is fairly easy to intall and can be upgraded in the future. I am fairly handy, I have tools, but pulling wires and attaching stuff to my homes exterior I'm not to keen on (I'm thinking dig hole, put pole in, put cement in, attach dish kinda thing). I have also read some stuff on systems becoming obsolete as technology moves forward. I'd rather have something that won't be yesterdays tech next month e.g. upgradeable. Also, a reputable online dealer would be a nice recommendation as I have read stuff about clones out there. I do most of my incidentials shopping on eBay, so if you have a user name or eBay store name I'd appreciate it. From what I have posted, does it sound like fta tv is for me, or should I look into other options because fta is a hassle and more work than it's worth? Oh yeah, also wanted to ask if an fta system can be "spliced" into the existing coax cable even if it has DSL through the cable co. Thank you in advance for any replies.

My son and I watch about a half dozen channels regularly. Discovery, NatGeo, Cartoon Network, Disney, sometimes Nickelodeon, sometimes Spike and 1 local channel for news and weather.

To my knowledge none of these channels are FTA. So if you really want to watch these channels you're going to have to subscribe to some sort of service.

Maybe you should have checked the channel offerings before taking your dump.
Did you price equipment,cable,dishes,receivers(one for each tv) lnbs.
Do you think you can install a system yourself? Installer cost?
I'd hate to think you jumped off a boat that wasn't sinking.
I'm a subscriber to dishnetwork for my most watched channels -- since the history channel disappeared.

I considered all the things that southofi-10 mentioned, and as I said earlier, I have checked out the N. American channels. I am aware the channels I mentioned are not available on fta, at least English-speaking channels. I know what is available to N. America. I have been considering dumping cable since I paid almost $1000 last year for my annual subscription. Seriously, did you guys even read my post? I was asking for advice on a system that is low maintenance and easy to install, and a reputable dealer to buy from. I am aware this is not "for everybody". However, can it be set up to be user friendly?

... I don't need any more hobbies. I just need a small variety of QUALITY channels...
Your post is difficult to respond to. What sounds like a simple request is not so simple. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that FTA is what you need based on what you have said. The only requirement that FTA seems to meet is that it's free. You want free, quality channels, no hassle, no foreign language, no religion, no hobby, it sounds like you want channels similar to pay TV for which you won't pay. I am familiar only with what you can get on Ku band; I'll leave others to comment on C-band which requires you to install an 8- to 10-foot diameter dish. For what you've said, you must have a motorized system for Ku. Here are the only FTA stations I think you would be interested in on Ku: Tuff, RTV, PBS (several), BYU, Ebru, NBC, ABC, Fox. There may be a few more on Galaxy 19 at 97W: there are so many (hundreds) on that one satellite.

Have you considered a very minimal pay TV package combined with OTA? For $324/year I have all networks in both Canada and USA in standard and high definition. Perhaps if you're near a large city, you could have all American networks for free via OTA. Would that work for you? I also have FTA since my requirements are different than yours.

A reputable dealer is the sponsor of this site. You will find few on here who are not waiting for their new receiver next month. That's the receiver you should consider: rich feature set for low expected price. Installing a motorized system by yourself takes time and effort: lots to learn. If you won't invest that, you should pay somebody to do it.

Added: I don't want to give you any ideas but, if you receive your Internet via cable (as I do), you might consider exploring what else is on that cable...you may be surprised what a modern HDTV can find on a cable even for a non-subscriber: I am referring to digital QAM TV channels.

Last edited:
I haven't kept track of my spending on fta, but I'd guess it is close to what I would be spending on subscriptions. The difference is that I don't have to spend the money if I don't have it and I don't have to budget every month for it. Last year's purchase of an AZBox receiver and HD TV more than equaled subscription costs. This year there is a new 6ft dish and mount with actuator. Before this year is out, I expect to have a larger dish and mount with actuator as well as acquire the GeoSat Pro micro HD receiver.

I subscribed to D!recTV until 2008. I spent about $65/mo or $780/yr. In the 20 years that I purchased from them, never once did they upgrade my receiver or equipment but they regularly increased their rates.

In my estimation, FTA is NOT more work than it is worth. I wouldn't even call it work since I enjoy it so much!

I don't think 'set it and forget it' is much of an option. These dishes are much bigger and subject to the whims of the wind and the weather as well as weaker signals all around. If you are not willing to do the time, you should reconsider taking the plunge.

It is nice that you want to go with the latest equipment that can be upgraded. Many of us started with basic low-cost equipment and have upgraded continuously. Others have donated their excess equipment to households that have no other means of obtaining television signals. You will find a host of knowledgeable and helpful people at SatelliteGuys.

I think you will have trouble 'splicing' into an existing DSL cable.

Best wishes!

Seriously, did you guys even read my post?

Yes I read your post and I came away with the feeling that you wanted a very easy system that gave you a small variety of QUALITY channels. Then you listed a few of the channels you and your son enjoy watching. You also just want to "set it and forget it". All that you said you wanted does not describe a FTA system. Using a FTA system channels come and go, get moved, get scrambled, the settings get changed, etc.... And FTA is a hobby, not kinda like a hobby. We are constantly searching for new channels, tweeking our gear, on the hunt for better dishes, looking at new products, drooling over the new receivers, etc... That's why I advised a service provider. A service provider is exactly what you described that you wanted..... easy, quality channels, set it and forget it, and provides the channels you want to watch.

Yes,I read the post.That's why I responded.Hope I did come off too harsh.
I got to agree with the other responses.
But to answer your question directly,you can go to the top of this page and find sponsors who would be more than glad to help.
I'm also more than glad to help.Just don't want you to be disappointed when you find a channel you like and it suddenly disappears.That happens almost daily.Especially the english channels.Somethimes they just move,sometimes they disappear without a trace.
There is more than a ton of channels up there,most are encrypted.
I'd also entertain the idea of getting a fairly nice over the air antenna.I get somewhere around 20 channel,and there is absolutely nothing south of me since I live in south Louisiana,LOL
But you can get several movie channels free,like THIS TV,Bounce,MeTV and several others.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
And keep coming back.We are here to help.Sometimes we need answers before we can determine what to suggest.
1000.00 is way to much for any TV service.Have you considered some of the cheaper dishnetwork packages?I think I pay about 30.00 a month and I also have the Encore movie package.
It's alway good to have back up TV

I am an installer/tech for a cable company here and even if you are getting internet only, if it is trapped out for data only depending on what your data channels are on your system, you will still receive a few channels. Usually the data traps especially the Arcom brand block channels 3 to 76. Anything above 80 are usually the digital carriers which on a basic HDTV it can do a channel search and will pick up some channels here and there. Not 100% sure what your system carries up on those high freqs, but you may get a handful of cable channels, some barker/preview channels, music, etc. I scan mine every now and then to see whats there, but since I am employed through them I get full cable greatly discounted.

Now for a set and forget FTA system, its never set and forget. You set a dish and as things come and go, you find yourself out there moving it to another satellite. Even though I work for a cable company, I have FTA myself and currently sitting on 6 dishes in the yard ranging from primestar to C band. There isnt just one satellite that will get you what you want, for what you want to do you will need multiple dishes at multiple sats and at least 1 C band dish of at least 6ft in diameter. But to watch the major network feeds listed above, it isnt going to happen unless you sub with a provider

And yes I beg and plead to grab dishes from them since the headends are slowly going to fiber and no longer satellite content. About all of the Ku stuff has been removed but I REALLY want one of the C band dishes from the headend when it is taken offline. One I really want I think its a 3.8 meter Prodelin

Last edited:
I have three first thoughts. 1. I'm not so sure (as others are seem to be saying) that FTA is what you really want. Maybe I misread.
2. Since you are paying $450 for Internet, make use of it, did you consider a device like a Roku? It has a wide range of free programming, though not all of the particular ones you listed, I don't think you find those for free anywhere.
But in combination with Amazon as just one example, if you are Prime member of Amazon you get a whole host of channels on Roku using the Amazon portal, for free. That's only one of hundreds of examples, The picture from the Roku is outstanding, of course you to have a reasonably fast Internet service. If you don't need National Geographic or the others mentioned anymore, the Roku would be my suggestion.
3. Did you look into Dish Network? For alot less a year than the $1000 + you can alot of that programming you mentioned I'd estimate around $500 including taxes and non DVR receiver for the Top100 and less the first year or so depending on the promotion. Even less with a smaller package.
Cable will virtually always be more expensive than Satellite not including their new subscriber promotions.

Last edited:
I dumped my Dish subscription over a year ago due to cost. Saved about 1500 bux since I shut it off. Since you are in Harrisburg I would setup a decent antenna to get all of your local networks that you can. I have a couple receivers that you can connect your antenna to and it puts those channels in the list. If you don't need your antenna to be plugged into your receiver you could just hook it up to the TV or whatever and just switch inputs.
Then find a good receiver that will get most of the signals available.There are a handful of good boxes that work with DVB-S2 signals(there are a lot of channels that use this so you will get more with a box that has this option) I have an Openbox S9 which has a few shortcomings but is a great box to scan in channels for what it costs. You can record shows with it too but it is tricky sometimes.

Depending on how much room you have I would start out with a 3 foot or so Ku dish. There are a few PBS hd channels that come in great and a ton of foreign/ news channels on 97(I watch probably 5 or so on 97). Tuff TV and RTV are on 83 KU. If you have room for a C-band dish there are a lot of good channels and master feeds that have an above average picture than what you may be used to. There are a few channels that would be worth having on Cband like RTV, ThisTV, Metv along with CW, LWN, MYTV, ION, to name a few. The channels come and go sometimes but Lyngsat or Sathint are pretty good at showing what channels are available at what satellite. Just look at Lyngsat or Sathint or the List on this site and see what channels you would like and then you can figure out what equipment you need. If you like sports there are a lot of live feeds that you can scan in randomly. Hope this helps.

As far as I know you will want to run a separate cable for your Dish to your home. Coaxial is cheap and you can just tack it to your house. I mounted my motorized Ku dish to the side of my house and it functions flawlessly(for the most part) in very low temperatures so it is fairly reliable. I am scanning 61w to 125w Ku with this dish and get well over 300 channels granted over 2/3 of them are on 97w but there is a lot of programming available for free. Most shows you can't live without could be had streaming on the internet so that helps with the missing network stations. My biggest problem is no TNT or ESPN because I watch sports. I just go to a restaurant to catch the big games now.

A lot of us have been where the OP is, I guess. I dumped Dishnetwork several years ago because of the prices, the devious way they take one channel that most providers have in basic packages , and put it in a higher priced programming package, forcing you to spend spend spend, plus a host of other reasons. Don't blame anybody for wanting to spend less, it's only tv , after all. ESPN is driving the price of pay-tv higher and higher because of the demands they make to 'provide' content to the sports-hungry. I believe once people have a couple of hours with a motorized FTA system, they will begin to lose the addiction to pay-somebody-programming. I almost never have to say "there's nothing to watch" on tv! And if I do, then I get outdoors and do something.

The fact that you have multiple TVs in the house will not make FTA satellite as easy as you want especially if you are going the motorized route. I can tell you right now there is not one single satellite on Ku that will make you happy after reading your first post. There are gems like the American movies with spanish subtitles on Cubavision(30w) but most of what is free on Ku band will just not fill the void after cable. If you really want to go this route then you have to accept older TV shows, foreign english news, and what ever religious channels you can tolerate. There are plenty of free channels on C band but you have to be sure you can handle a 6 foot or larger dish and the greater "hobby" aspect of FTA.

My recomendation to you is to pick up a cheap FTA satellite box off of ebay for around $30 and then look around locally for a free dish that can be converted for FTA. There are plenty out there if you just ask on Freecycle or Craigslist. You might even see a nice 3 or 4 foot dish no longer being used at a business. Install this dish and learn how to move it manually between satellites and see what is up there that you like. If you are not happy with what is there then you can resell the box and you are only out a few dollars at most. After that I would look at the Dish Network Welcome Pack for $15 a month.

Setting up a FTA system is not a hobby, at first, it's a job...Once you learn how, then it becomes a hobby. There are lots of good channels that pretty much stay put. But when you come home from work and "your channel" is gone you have to hit the net and hope someone knows where it went.

I'd say start with a motorized Ku dish & a HD (DVB-S2) receiver. DVB-S2 are not always HD, but you need those S2 signals. Also some channels have AC3 audio...most HD receivers do this.

Someone mentioned a Roku. This sounds like what you need to get you going while you learn to tune the FTA rig and you can get Netflix for under $10 a month, mostly movies but it does have some (quite a bit) Natgeo programming. Hulu is also under $10 a month and has a lot more TV.

Ku band is the smaller dish (30-40 inches) and C band is the big dish (6-10 foot). The big dish can receive C band and Ku band.

If, after you learn how to point a dish (small one), then the big one is the same principle. If you then installed a big dish you could watch different channels on different TV's, different dish, but you need a receiver for each TV.

You can feed two TV's with one receiver and one dish, but you have to watch the same channel.

I say get a motorized Ku dish, study, study, study! Get a Roku to give you something to watch for $10-$20 a month.

Cost is:
Roku $49-$99 (Depending on model and watch for a special)
Motorized Ku dish $150-$250 depending on dish size including wire (shop around).
One HD receiver $75-$125+ and $75 is if someone gives you a good deal on a used one.

So $100+$200+125=about $425 and that is for the best Roku, a decent Ku dish and a decent HD receiver.

You should get the Roku last because you'll never get the dish installed with so much to watch!!!

If you ever do get a good Ku rig going, you'll be hooked like the rest of us and on the hunt for a Big dish!

Sign up for the free month of Netflix and look at their content and Natgeo programming on your computer. I don't know if you can buy a book on FTA or not because there is so much info on the net you don't need a book!

Also, the middle of winter is not a good time to try and aim a dish at something you can't see!

I would like to encourage you that FTA is very possible for you. I have several suggestions similar to what others have said. Since you have cable for internet - - NetFlix streaming only would be about 8 dollars a month. We have that and like it very much.

When I started FTA, I started with a fixed KU dish on one satellite, but now I have a motorized setup - - - which is a bit of a challenge to setup up - - - but you could do it with some help. My dish spends a lot of time on 125W for PBS - - - which if you start fix - - - might be where I suggest you start.

Now to equipment, I would wait for the new receiver from SatelliteAV which comes out in a few months (looks like the receiver to have!). As to a dish, if you can find a old PrimeStar dish or a old HughesNet dishes - - - these make excellent dishes for FTA. Craigslist can be your friend.

Lastly, if you can go to at least a 6 foot C-Band fixed on 105W you could get some of the channels you want. Someone else also suggested this. Skyvision Satellite Equipment

Many folks here are more than willing to help with assistance. Best of Success!

Last edited:
i didnt read the whole thread, but going by your original post i really think you are going to be disappointed with FTA, especially if you are only going ku-band (4 foot dish or smaller)....i think the only way FTA is going to satisfy your wants and needs is if you get yourself a large (10 foot+) c-band motorized dish and an HD receiver....

good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)