Dumping DVR recordings to DVD via my PC...

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
Okay, I admit it...I need the Idiots Guide to DVD creation (from my PVR)

I finally upgraded to HD and am getting the Dish 622. The thing is, I currently have a 501 and 508 with some recordings that I'd like to keep. I can easily record them to VHS, but these days it doesn't seem quite worth putting anything on tape.

So, what is the easiest way to burn these on to DVD using my PC?

I have a relatively new Dell XPS 400 PC, but I do not have a video input card. It does have two DVD drives, one being a burner.

I'm guessing I need to buy an input card. I'm open to any you recommend.

I don't need PC TV or PC DVR functionality. If it has it great, but note that my main concern is to preserve the image quality and dump to DVD.

Appreciate any info or pointers to information. :wave
Thank you!

-todd

Do either of those DVRs have ethernet connectivity?

I think another user here (dfergie) does this like I do, but we use ReplayTV. I can't remember if he does Dish as well.

Last edited:
Since the only way (currently) to dump DVR events is to record them in real-time, I just went ahead and got a DVD recorder. The Pinnacle USB dongles in the stores were about $75-145, and would require the PC be powered up for the entire time.

I got a Panasonic recorder which had a VBR feature. If your DVR event is 2h35m (like the auto races I was archiving), the recorder records the exact time, adjusting the encoding rate to fit on the DVD instead of settling for 4 hour (lower) quality mode. I could start the DVD recording and walk away, no need to baby sit. Of course, this records the commercials. If you really want, I guess you could rip the DVD on your PC and edit them out and make a new DVD. Using DVD-RWs to record the material from the DVR and burning DVD-Rs for the final result would minimize the number of coasters made :D

Hmmm...yeah, I would expect I'd dump it out the standard Video connection or the S-Video port. It is nothing that I need super high quality, I just don't want it to degrade noticeably.

So, looking for a tip on a good video input card to buy. Another post mentioned the WinTV card (i think) which mentions DVD authoring software in the features. I really only care about that and don't care about the remote, tuner, PVR functions, etc...I wasn't sure if this was the best solution or not.

Heck, I'd buy a DVD recorder if they have 'em for a good price, but figured I'd probably want the video input capability sooner or later anyway.

Thanks for the tips thus far. Any other suggestions are of course welcome!

For the same or less money as a plain video capture card, you might as well get a "TV/DVR" based card. They are 99% the same card with an added tuner and comes with "free" DVR software. Just view the guides of each to verify the use of s-video (needs separate L/R audio too)

Also see: http://www.plextor.com/english/products/M402U.htm

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_impactvcb.html

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150mcelp.html

Thanks. I ended up walking through Best Buy today (looking for video cards and DVD Recorders) and I came across the "Dazzle DVD Recorder." For $50 it plugs into my USB port, includes and S-Video input, and allegedly can dump directly to the DVD.

If that works, its a cheaper/easier solution than the recorder or the card.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post here if it works as advertised as I'm sure someone else will be looking for a simple solution.

-todd

For the same or less money as a plain video capture card, you might as well get a "TV/DVR" based card.
Except the tuner will be rendered useless for OTA reception in another couple of years... If you have cable, though, this won't be a problem.

Figured I'd post a follow-up;

The red Dazzle Video Recorder thingy works fine. I was able to easily connect this to my USB port, run S-Video and audio from my out of service 501 and record directly to DVD.

The software leads a bit to be desired, as if you record two shows, for instance, there is no way to set up a menu item for each show. It just automatically makes new chapters at whatever interval you specify.

I'm sure I can rip it to hard drive and then make neat DVD menus, but I was looking for something I can do quickly in one shot.

It works.

I used to use the dazzle for the inputs but different software. WinDVD PVR is a pretty good one with a lot of better features and encode that to avi and use a program like ConvertXtoDVD to encode your dvd. If you want a quick and easy way theres a program out there called DVDitPE which will do menus and encoding for you. If you search the net you could probably get demos or cracked versions.

I am trying to archive a non-copy protected program from my vip722 to a dvd. I would like to do it using a computer with a video capture card. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)