Duplicate Channels

Dishusercan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
US
I have a VIP 222k receiver and i am getting duplicate hd channels is there a way to put priority hd then sd so I don't have duplicates?

Thanks

Yes. The way to change the settings for this is Menu-6-9 and then Chan Display. There is options for the HD priority in there which makes the locals list only the HD channel if HD and SD are available. As far as the best way to prevent duplicates on the rest of the guide, building a favorites list is the only way I know of, which allows you to weed out the duplicates.

That does work, and then you can hide the locked. Make sure you hide locked or you will run into screens asking for the code.

And the entry of the code is often cumbersome, even an easy code. Since Dish already has this feature for the LIL's, and I LOVE and use that feature (one box show sat and OTA while I have another set to show only OTA at 2-69) with its great options, it would seem natural for Dish to offer the same feature for the rest of the channels. Tony, is Dish planning to add the LIL like display feature for all Dish channels some time soon? That would be a MAJOR feature upgrade and one that shows Dish is on the ball. I understand DirecTV has such a feature already, and I do tire of having to enter the code just to erase my locked DVR events (unlocking also requires a code entry). Thanks.

Alright. So here is where I can learn something. What exactly is LIL as I do not hear it ever here (boy am I ashamed for asking)? If it is something simple, I will feel twice as bad as I do already! Sad but true, we were actually banned for using "slang" or technical jargon, so the art is lost here.

Alright. So here is where I can learn something. What exactly is LIL as I do not hear it ever here (boy am I ashamed for asking)? If it is something simple, I will feel twice as bad as I do already! Sad but true, we were actually banned for using "slang" or technical jargon, so the art is lost here.

LIL stands for "Local into Local". Basically it is YOUR local network channels, not a distant market.

I go with the channel locks and hiding locked channels. It is easiest since you still see the SD channels of channels without an HD feed. It is a pain and takes probably 30 minutes to setup by going through the guide and locking out the dups, but once it is done you have a nice clean guide.

I go with the channel locks and hiding locked channels. It is easiest since you still see the SD channels of channels without an HD feed. It is a pain and takes probably 30 minutes to setup by going through the guide and locking out the dups, but once it is done you have a nice clean guide.

That's my solution for now, as well, but it is frustrating to deal with the "Locked Event" when that recording was from a now locked channel, and the "Locked Event" as every single entry on the Timer History page--ALL the entries no matter how recent. Then when unlocking the system to see the "Locked Events" (and a few other features), I forgot to "re-" lock the system, causing havoc with my timers as they accessed the duplicated channels. It took me over 20 minutes to clean that up. Just pointing out why the LIL like feature would be great for the rest of the channels.

"LIL" is used here as an abbreviation. I apologize. I thought you had seen the abbreviation on this board and discovered its meaning. I didn't intend to confuse you, for I would have put a parenthetical clarification.

I believe the programming department use the whole phrase "Local into Local." Charlie Ergan has often used the whole phrase on several Charlie Chats, but it is abbreviated here on this forum for typing sake. I have never seen the abbreviation on any official documents nor heard it used on a Tech Forum or Charlie Chat: always the full phrase "Local into Local." So, don't feel bad. It's like D* and E* used here, but not elsewhere. Feel no shame.

One of the advantages of locking and hiding locked channels is that they don't show up in searches or in the dish remote access. It really makes a cleaner channel lineup. I then use the favorites list to whittle down to only the channels I tend to watch. It makes it a lot easier to find what you are looking for and not even see the junk channels that you'll never watch. Thanks for the reminder all!

Thanks to those who suggested using the lock and hide approach. Much better than the manual custom list I built that I had to keep checking when channels were added or moved around.

I do have one question though. I have a 622. The locked channels don't appear on TV1 (which is a HD TV) but they still show up on the guide on TV2 (a SD TV). Do I need to go through the same setup on TV2 or is there an easier way? I assumed once I did it on the first TV both TVs would get the same guide since it is the same receiver.

Thanks to those who suggested using the lock and hide approach. Much better than the manual custom list I built that I had to keep checking when channels were added or moved around.

I do have one question though. I have a 622. The locked channels don't appear on TV1 (which is a HD TV) but they still show up on the guide on TV2 (a SD TV). Do I need to go through the same setup on TV2 or is there an easier way? I assumed once I did it on the first TV both TVs would get the same guide since it is the same receiver.

In dual mode, the TV1 and TV2 are treated as separate experiences for 2 different people. So, yes, you will have to go through the process on TV2. This is they way it was designed so that whatever preferences the TV1 person likes, it won't interfere with the preferences of the TV2 person. In Single Mode, you should see the exact same things on both of your TV's.

Also, using locks prevent the timers from duplicating on the duplicated channels and when one needs to "SKIP" as in cancel a timer, it won't go to the next channel and instance requiring several "SKIPS" especially if it is a channel for both East and West.

loubon said:

Yes. There are two receivers.

I usually swap the connections in the back of the receiver so I can set up TV2 instead of going to the other room to do it. Easier than running back and forth to compare settings between TV1 and TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)