DVB-S or DVB-S2 for Galaxy 18?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Siberian29

Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Illinois
Hi I am looking at purchasing a FTA card for my PC and had a few questions. First off I was wondering if DVB-S2 is the way to go or if DVB-S is still sufficient? Would I be able to pull in HD with either S or S2 on Galaxy 18? It is my first FTA setup so I am only planning on doing a stationary setup pointed at Galaxy 18 as I am trying to get some out of market sports and all the sport highlights from ftalist seem to be on the Galaxy 18 satellite. My other concern is global-cm which I linked to from here states Galaxy 18 may be going down soon. If it will be around at least another year I would consider it worth it but does anyone know what is going on with Equity and their bankruptcy? I figure after a year I will be more comfortable with FTA and would start playing around with moving it for other satellites. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A dvb-s only card would be cheaper but for the extra money you would be getting any existing dvb-s2 signals plus the ones that will be going dvb-s2 in the future. Either would get HD channels. High definition really has nothing to do with the card, it just passes the signal to the computer where the processing is done so don't worry about getting a non-hd card, they all will do it. I've noticed several of them now have HD included in their name, but its just a marketing gimmick, the ones without it in the name do HD also.

There is currently no high definition programming on G-18 Ku-Band. In fact, the only Ku-Band HD that is always there (not just a feed) is the HD PBS content on AMC-21.

We did not state that "Galaxy 18 is going down". It's an almost brand new satellite. What is of concern is that Equity Broadcasting has had to do bankruptcy sales of most of their broadcast properties. Once they are transferred to the new owners, there will be no reason to transmit existing signals on the existing 11720 and 11799-V transponders. Satellite time costs money, and I forsee a large contraction on the number of channels transmitted in FTA mode by Equity for this reason. Unless they get some contracts to supply signals to other customers via this satellite link coming out of their Little Rock facility.

Thanks for the answers guys, since there is no HD on Galaxy 18 it looks like I will go with a DVB-S setup and hope that the Fox affiliates stay on there for a bit.

An original Twinhan 1020a would let you run TSReader. I bought one on eBay for a decent price. It depends on what software you plan on running, but I really wanted TSReader support and my old wasn't supported.

I agree with Gillham's suggestion. If you just want dvb-s for now the Twinhan 1020a is a good choice. Its been around for a long time and has interface support in most dvb applications. I've had mine for around 7 years now and its still going.

I was looking at the Twinhan 1020 but I also liked their PCI Express model since I have a fan in place of my open PCI slots. Can anyone else recommend a setup that would provide some good out of market locals that does not require a c band dish? I see some info on Denver locals but they appear to be on a dish owned by Dish Network so I am not sure if they are FTA. I have Dish Network but I am not in the Colorado area and so they are not available on my package however lyngsat lists these on their free tv page as being on ciel 2(129). I still have an old dish network dish on my roof from when it was pointed at 61.5 before I received the dish 1000. The dish 1000 is already pointed at 129 so is it possible to tune these in somehow or do I have to get a FTA receiver and point the other dish at 129?

The Dish 1000 won't work for Ku-Band, only DBS (what the pay providers use). None of the locals uplinked by Dish are available FTA, they are all encrypted :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)