DVB-S/S2 and ATSC Combo Cards

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
I know this has been asked before, but with hardware changing rapidly, I wanted to ask it again.

I am anticipating a change here, and hopefully will give my Diamond 9000HD to the family before Christmas, and I will probably go back to my PC using primarily MyTheatre for a while again.

What cards do you guys like for DVB-S/S2?

And, what cards do you like for ATSC?

I need a combo of cards that will work together inside MyTheatre, DVBDream, DVBViewer Pro, and possibly with TSReader.

The new MyTheatre has a lot of promise, but want to be able to fall back on the others if need be.

I will look forward to hearing about the new hardware you guys have tried recently. :)

Well, this thread has certainly taken off, just tons of people using dvb cards;) I like the Dvbworld cards, the 2104 usb version particularly, not because it is any different than its sister 2004 pci version but just because it is portable, I can take it with me and use it with my laptop; also, it has a very nice tuner, very sensitive. The drawback with the 2104 and most of the other newer dvb-s2 cards is drivers, or more specifically the various dvb software applications not supporting the cards. The exception is Dvbviewer Pro, the 2104 works great with that and that is pretty much all I use now for both my C and Ku band systems, Transedit, a separate program by itself, written by one of the dvbviewer developers is a fantastic tool for scanning for feeds, even blind scanning(although software only), and there is an analyze option that gives an indepth overview of the transponder you are looking at, it looks very much like Tsreader, it even has a preview mode. Have I gone on enough about Transedit?:D
Another 2104 drawback is availability, no one in NA deals in them, at least that I know of, I got mine from Ebay, a Canadian seller but I don't see him there anymore. Did I mention they are cheap? I think I paid $115 delivered. I saw a used one on Ebay last week, you might find one there if you decide to buy that card.
Can't say anything about atsc cards, never owned one.:)

Hey Starman,

Thanks for replying, and I hope others will too. I just finished reading the marathon thread about the DVBWorld S2 USB and PCI cards, and was impressed.
Well, this thread has certainly taken off, just tons of people using dvb cards;) I like the Dvbworld cards, the 2104 usb version particularly, not because it is any different than its sister 2004 pci version but just because it is portable, I can take it with me and use it with my laptop; also, it has a very nice tuner, very sensitive.
That's good to know.
The drawback with the 2104 and most of the other newer dvb-s2 cards is drivers, or more specifically the various dvb software applications not supporting the cards. The exception is Dvbviewer Pro, the 2104 works great with that and that is pretty much all I use now for both my C and Ku band systems,
So am I understanding correctly that DVBViewer Pro and the OEM software are all that works with the DVBWorld devices?

I had thought I had read in the marathon thread that TSReader works with it, and what about MyTheatre?
Transedit, a separate program by itself, written by one of the dvbviewer developers is a fantastic tool for scanning for feeds, even blind scanning(although software only), and there is an analyze option that gives an indepth overview of the transponder you are looking at, it looks very much like Tsreader, it even has a preview mode. Have I gone on enough about Transedit?:D
I haven't used DVBViewer Pro in several months, but I have used Transedit, but didn't know it had software blind-scanning capabilities until just recently. Please tell me more. :)
Another 2104 drawback is availability, no one in NA deals in them, at least that I know of, I got mine from Ebay, a Canadian seller but I don't see him there anymore. Did I mention they are cheap? I think I paid $115 delivered. I saw a used one on Ebay last week, you might find one there if you decide to buy that card.
Maybe someone else will chime in with a place to purchase them.
Can't say anything about atsc cards, never owned one.:)
I'm like you, I thought others would have jumped in by now, but maybe those with ATSC cards haven't seen it yet. :rolleyes:

I have the registered versions of DVBViewer Pro and MyTheatre, so I would hope it would work in both of those programs. I also need it to work well with an ATSC card installed in the same machine.

What about the TT S2-3200s? Are they still as popular as they were a few months ago?

So am I understanding correctly that DVBViewer Pro and the OEM software are all that works with the DVBWorld devices?

No, the dvbworld dvb-s2 devices will work (although not well) with MyTheatre, Dvbdream, and Altdvb......but will only lock dvb-s signals, no dvb-s2, at least I haven't been able to. Maybe the new Mytheatre 4.0 is capable I haven't tried the new beta. But really, I think the only reason they are recognized in those applications is because of the older dvb-s only drivers for older Dvbworld cards. I think they are close enough to get them recognized but they don't work very well, a lot of freezing, slow response times to change channels, etc.
Tsreader will not recongnize the Dvbworld dvb-s2 devices at all. Rod said many months ago he was working on bda drivers but he must be having problems or other things are taking up his time.

I haven't used DVBViewer Pro in several months, but I have used Transedit, but didn't know it had software blind-scanning capabilities until just recently. Please tell me more. :)

I got discouraged with Dvbviewer early on after I bought it mainly because most of their forum is in German, but I have been using a translator lately and am gradually learning about its ins and outs. Both Dvbviewer and Transedit are regularly updated and they are mature softwares, the forum dates to around 2002 and it is very active, many posts every day and the development guys are in there answering questions themselves.
As a registered owner of Dvbviewer you can go to the members area and read the Transedit manual, it gives a pretty good idea what it is capable of.....and its in ENGLISH!!!!:up

Maybe someone else will chime in with a place to purchase them.
I'd be interested in that myself.

What about the TT S2-3200s? Are they still as popular as they were a few months ago?

Lots of people seem to have them, I hope someone who has one will jump in here and give you some idea how they work with the different dvb applications. I'm always interested in hearing about other cards and how they perform too.

Thanks again Starman!

Lot's to think about and further research required. :)

Thanks to you brentb636.

I started reading that review a while back, but never got past the first post, and have never gotten back to it. I guess I need to spend some time to read that thread too. :)

Still hoping to use both DVB-S2 card/USB and ATSC HD cards in the same machine, and hopefully the same program. :eek:

Anyone using an ATAC HD card they are real proud of? :)

I'm not as happy with the s2-3200 and my skywalker-1, but the skywalker doesn't DO dvb-s2.
The question is software. I like Dvbdream and Tsreader, and the skywalker works really well with both applications.
I'm using DvbViewer and ProgDVB with the s2-3200, and the combination of those apps doesn't work as well as my skywalker-1 setup. The problem is that all these applications are immature. They only work with certain drivers, and certain PCI cards . You can't "mix and match" your software and hardware.
I had disastrous early results when I tried to use a USB based s2-3600 box in conjunction with my skywalker-1. The firmware in the skywalker ( over a year in service ) was corrupted by the other usb drivers.
If I try to use the "old" WDM drivers for my current s2-3200 card ( so the card will work with TSreader ) , Windows somehow associates Progdvb with Tsreader on Tsreader startup and both applications launch , regardless of which is the default PCI card in Tsreader.
I've settled into the idea of using the s2-3200 card only with BDA drivers, using Progdvb, Dvbviewer, and Transedit strictly for trying to work with dvb-s2 feeds, and the skywalker-1 setup for all other "special feeds " .
My feeling is that the skywalker works better with it's applications, than the s2-3200 works with it's applications. I suspect it's a driver/software issue, and someday will be resolved. At the moment, though, I only use the s2-3200 to chase a reported Ku band dvb-s2 feed . Everything else can be done by some of my other hardware.

:)

Thanks Brent for a frank and honest opinion.

ACRadio did emphasize that everything had to be just right with the combo of drivers, codecs, and equipment to make everything work well.

One other thing I wanted to ask about both the DVBWorld and TT S2-3200, does the remote control work in the applications that you use them with?

Thanks!

One other thing I wanted to ask about both the DVBWorld and TT S2-3200, does the remote control work in the applications that you use them with?
Thanks!

Thanks Linuxman, I didn't even know I had a remote for the Dvbworld. Sure enough, it was in the box, I put batteries in it and it works fine in the Dvbworld software, starts the app, changes channel, but does nothing in Dvbviewer. Perhaps it could be made to work, I'm not sure. I almost never use remotes, everything is with cordless keyboard and mouse with my htpc so I'm remote challenged.:) I just checked the dvbviewer home page for a remote plugin for the dvbworld but nothing there. There is a plugin there for Technotrend remotes which might help with the TT S2-3200.

"One other thing I wanted to ask about both the DVBWorld and TT S2-3200, does the remote control work in the applications that you use them with?
"

My experience with the remote is much the same as Starman. I can't get it to work with any app, except those furnished by technotrend with the card. DVBviewer, which has a driver for the remote, doesn't seem to recognize mine, although the top and right arrow keys DO control the volume ( that's not how it's supposed to work ! ) .

Thanks Linuxman, I didn't even know I had a remote for the Dvbworld. Sure enough, it was in the box, I put batteries in it and it works fine in the Dvbworld software, starts the app, changes channel, but does nothing in Dvbviewer. Perhaps it could be made to work, I'm not sure. I almost never use remotes, everything is with cordless keyboard and mouse with my htpc so I'm remote challenged.:) I just checked the dvbviewer home page for a remote plugin for the dvbworld but nothing there. There is a plugin there for Technotrend remotes which might help with the TT S2-3200.

Thank you Starman for all your help.

That is one of the things I like about MyTheatre and my Twinhan 1020a. The remote works very well, and I can set the software so that when the computer boots up, it is almost like having an STB. I don't do it that way most of the time, but it can work that way.

The Twinhans don't yet work with MT 4.0 beta as far as I know but I think that will get worked out.

I like working with the remote, and only use the keyboard and mouse when making changes inside the program.

Course, if there is support for the TT S2-3200 in MT 4.0, that would be great for me. I could then use DVBViewer/Transedit to hunt for feeds, and use MT for viewing. :)

I also want ATSC to work in one of those programs.

Still haven't heard from anyone about ATSC cards and these programs yet?

My experience with the remote is much the same as Starman. I can't get it to work with any app, except those furnished by technotrend with the card. DVBviewer, which has a driver for the remote, doesn't seem to recognize mine, although the top and right arrow keys DO control the volume ( that's not how it's supposed to work ! ) .

Thanks Brent!

I'll have to check on the DVBViewer forum about the remote for the TT S2-3200. :)

I also need to read up on MT and the TT S2-3200 support and remote.

I'm using the S2-3200 with the MT 4 beta. It works pretty well. I've got both dvb-s2 and dvbs channels working. I've had a few odd issues with changing channels from an dvb to dvb-s2 channel and also when my dish moves from one sat to another. Usually, just retuning to another channel on the same sat and then going back to the first fixes the problem though. I think both cases are issues with the MT beta and not the s2-3200. I've used the s2-3200 with MT, DVBViewer and DVBDream. The only problem is with controlling a motor. With MT 3.38 you have to use the WDM driver, however MT4 can use BDA. DVBViewer supports motor control with BDA and DVBDream doesn't support it with any drivers I've tried.

In answer to your original question. I've taken a little different tack towards combining FTA and OTA. I use SageTV. I've got an HDHomerun for ATSC signals which works quite well. In Sage, I just see one guide and when I change channels, Sage determines which source to pull the programming from. It's pretty cool having guide info for the RTN's. One nice thing about Sage is you can have any number of tuners on any number of PC's. I've got one PCI card for KU sats, one for all the Cband sats, and the HDHomerun as sources. I've tried the network encoders for MT, DVBDream and DVBViewer with Sage, and have had the most success with the MT one. The other nice thing about Sage is the media extender options. I've got an HD extender in my living room and a standard def one in my bedroom tied to the server in my office. The place shifting capability is pretty handy when I want to watch from work or to schedule a recording when I'm away from home.

Hope this helps.
Mike

thinking out loud

The Twinhans don't yet work with MT 4.0 beta as far as I know but I think that will get worked out.
Isn't that a lot like saying, "Fords don't work with my new kind of gasoline"?
In this country, Twinhans must be the most common card.
May not be true world wide (obviously), but still . . .
I like working with the remote, and only use the keyboard and mouse when making changes inside the program.
I've got to think remote control makes for a mature enduser-friendly application.
Nothing less will make it from my computer room to my living room. - :cool:
I also want ATSC to work in one of those programs.

Still haven't heard from anyone about ATSC cards and these programs yet?
Buddy of mine got an ATSC card last year, but did little more than see it worked quite well.
I've tried to steer him back to experimenting more with it, but he seems burned out by the whole FTA/ATSC/Windows-media-PC situation.

I could have probably borrowed his ATSC card to play with.
It'd probably have given me what the dumb Diamond 9000 won't.
And maybe for less money.
. . . hrmmmm . . . now you've got me thinking! - :up

More I think about it, maybe trying to run all those apps and cards in one computer may be counter productive.
Just as most of us have multiple STBs, maybe multiple optimized computer-based receivers may be a way to go . . . for now... :confused:

Mike,

"I've used the s2-3200 with MT, DVBViewer and DVBDream. " What driver are you using in Dvbdream ? I haven't been able to get mine to work in that app, at all.
:)

Brent, It's been a while but I believe I was using the BDA driver. I think I could tune channels okay as long as I was already pointing at the right sat, but was SOL whenever I tried moving the dish. Until the MT Beta came out, the only app that I could get to move the dish with BDA was DVBViewer.

I'm using the S2-3200 with the MT 4 beta. It works pretty well. I've got both dvb-s2 and dvbs channels working. I've had a few odd issues with changing channels from an dvb to dvb-s2 channel and also when my dish moves from one sat to another. Usually, just retuning to another channel on the same sat and then going back to the first fixes the problem though. I think both cases are issues with the MT beta and not the s2-3200. I've used the s2-3200 with MT, DVBViewer and DVBDream. The only problem is with controlling a motor. With MT 3.38 you have to use the WDM driver, however MT4 can use BDA. DVBViewer supports motor control with BDA and DVBDream doesn't support it with any drivers I've tried.

In answer to your original question. I've taken a little different tack towards combining FTA and OTA. I use SageTV. I've got an HDHomerun for ATSC signals which works quite well. In Sage, I just see one guide and when I change channels, Sage determines which source to pull the programming from. It's pretty cool having guide info for the RTN's. One nice thing about Sage is you can have any number of tuners on any number of PC's. I've got one PCI card for KU sats, one for all the Cband sats, and the HDHomerun as sources. I've tried the network encoders for MT, DVBDream and DVBViewer with Sage, and have had the most success with the MT one. The other nice thing about Sage is the media extender options. I've got an HD extender in my living room and a standard def one in my bedroom tied to the server in my office. The place shifting capability is pretty handy when I want to watch from work or to schedule a recording when I'm away from home.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Thanks Mike!

It helps a lot. I've never tried Sage, but I will give it a look.

I do have a couple of questions:
Is the HDHomerun card expensive?
Is it difficult to find and buy?

Thanks for the information on the TT S2-3200 and the different apps and how each one works with the card.

Hey Anole.
Isn't that a lot like saying, "Fords don't work with my new kind of gasoline"?
In this country, Twinhans must be the most common card.
May not be true world wide (obviously), but still . . .
The beta still needs some work and in the end, I think it will work fine with the Twinhan cards. Maybe not, we'll just have to see.

I've got to think remote control makes for a mature enduser-friendly application.
Nothing less will make it from my computer room to my living room.
I have to agree, the remote working or not is a great advantage to using the programs. :eek:

Buddy of mine got an ATSC card last year, but did little more than see it worked quite well.
I've tried to steer him back to experimenting more with it, but he seems burned out by the whole FTA/ATSC/Windows-media-PC situation.

I could have probably borrowed his ATSC card to play with.
It'd probably have given me what the dumb Diamond 9000 won't.
And maybe for less money.
. . . hrmmmm . . . now you've got me thinking! -

More I think about it, maybe trying to run all those apps and cards in one computer may be counter productive.
Just as most of us have multiple STBs, maybe multiple optimized computer-based receivers may be a way to go . . . for now...
Find out what kind of card your buddy has, if it is HD ATSC, and if he wants to sell it?

I don't think there should be a problem running everything on one computer provided it has enough horse-power to start with.

Again thanks for everyone's opinions and suggestions. I'll look forward to more. :D

Well I looked at SageTV, and the HDHomerun box, and while they both might be quite good, they are a little on the pricey side for me just now especially with the money I have wrapped up in my computer right now.

I would rather just have the cards or USB devices in the one computer and use the software I have already paid for. Do I sound tight? :yikes:

I read in another couple of threads about the MyHD-130 and the FusionHDTV5 express. Anyone still using these, and what programs do you use with them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts