DVB-S/S2 and ATSC Combo Cards

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I went to town today and picked up a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 PCIe card mainly because it was fairly reasonable, it was local, and CC has a 14 day return policy. I paid $59.00 plus tax for it, and it seems to have a pretty nice sensitive tuner. It picked up my weaker stations with no trouble, and the display nicely. Like I said, I have 14 days to return it if I want to try something else. :cool:

It came with BDA drivers on the CD and a separate installation utility to install the drivers only. :)

Fired up MyTheatre 4.0 Beta 3, and figured out how to scan for channels, and yes, it took a whopping 2224 seconds to scan the spectrum, but I ended up with my 12 channels and it works fine. No audio, because Beta 3 doesn't utilize my AC3 codec just yet, and the NVidia Purevideo Audio codec which is supposed to provide sound, doesn't work for me. The copy I have is a trial, so the sound doesn't work with it either.

I copied the channel list to MT 3.38, and everything works great including sound. Hopefully when 4.0 is finished you will be able to have both cards work in one instance of MT.

Haven't tried it in DVBViewer yet, but I will. I didn't even install the software that came with it. :)

As to DVBViewer, there seems to be a problem with trying to use diseqc switches and diseqc positioners at the same time. Unless I can figure that out and make it work, DVBViewer will be relegated to a second program for me only using it by moving the dish with the GBox and then tune channels. :(

I use DVBViewer and Transedit strictly for DVB-S2 stuff on Ku band. That means very limited use. I much prefer the skywalker-1 ( but as we know, it doesn't tune dvb-s2) with Dvbdream for regular viewing and Tsreader/VLC for feeds. I slave the skywalker-1 to my Merc II, so it doesn't have any responsibility for dish moving. I also bought ProgDVB, but it's tempermental enough that I'd never recommend it to anyone new to DVB PCI .
I figure I've got about $200 invested in DVB-s2, and so far I've seen one feed. Pretty pathetic, but that's how life is sometime. We're on the bleeding edge of the dvb-s2 evolution in North America.

:(

I use DVBViewer and Transedit strictly for DVB-S2 stuff on Ku band. That means very limited use. I much prefer the skywalker-1 ( but as we know, it doesn't tune dvb-s2) with Dvbdream for regular viewing and Tsreader/VLC for feeds. I slave the skywalker-1 to my Merc II, so it doesn't have any responsibility for dish moving. I also bought ProgDVB, but it's tempermental enough that I'd never recommend it to anyone new to DVB PCI .
I figure I've got about $200 invested in DVB-s2, and so far I've seen one feed. Pretty pathetic, but that's how life is sometime. We're on the bleeding edge of the dvb-s2 evolution in North America.

:(
There are several more S2 channels on C-Band than Ku, but I just don't think DVBViewer was made for complicated setups.

Haven't tried it in DVBViewer yet, but I will. I didn't even install the software that came with it.
I was referring to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 PCIe card here.

This morning I did try it with DVBViewer Pro. I tried scanning the channels with Transedit, but they wouldn't scan in. I could analyze them, but really nothing in the analyzer except PAT and signal strength.

I did get the channels scanned in through the Channel List editor window using the scan option at the bottom.

The channels display fine, but no sound. I tried different codecs, but nothing as yet. Most of the channels are AC3 according to what scanned in. Just another problem in the long list trying to get DVBViewer to work for me. :(

They all work in MT 3.38 fine with sound, so I don't think it is the card or driver.

Well came back in from town a while ago, and thought I would spend a little more time getting the sound to work in DVBViewer. Turned it on, and it still didn't work.

The only thing I did was to shut the computer completely off for about 10 seconds. Started the computer, let it boot up. Turned on DVBViewer, and now all the ATSC channels have sound. :)

Very strange!

Now if I can just get the other major obstacle to using this program figured out, I'll have it working.

Here is my dish/lnb setup.

Twinhan > GBox> Ecoda 22Khz off> diseqc1 > LNB1-Ku LNB2-C LNB3-DBS LNB4-KuS-123W
Same TW> GBox> Ecoda 22Khz on> diseqc2 > LNB1-KuU LNB2-KUU LNB3-Kuu LNB4-KuU

The settings seem to only allow for diseqc switches or diseqc motor, but not both.

If any of you know how to make DVBViewer use even a diseqc positioner or motor and a diseqc switch at the same time, please let me know how you are doing it!

Hi Linuxman, did you see this?
Dvbviewer Pro- Usals work with 4 port diseqc switch? - DVBViewer community forum

If that doesn't work you could try the command string way.

Well the goto angular didn't work with the GBox.

I tried the Use Positioner and put in the number, but that didn't work either.

The good news is that the diseqc switch settings didn't get changed.

So I'll have to learn how to input the diseq command strings. I think I know where to put them in, but don't know exactly what to put in the box. I'll try a couple of things in the morning.

I made some progress this morning. :)

I actually got the program to send the commands that moved the dish with the GBox. :D

The positions are already saved in the GBox, so I just need to get from satellite to satellite.

Unfortunately that wipes out the diseqc settings for the channels.

I think that I will have to get rid of my channel list and start from scratch, set the positioner for the satellite first, then use Transedit to scan the channels and send them to DVBViewer hoping that will assign the diseeqc switch properly and allow everything to work.

More later!

I think that I will have to get rid of my channel list and start from scratch, set the positioner for the satellite first, then use Transedit to scan the channels and send them to DVBViewer hoping that will assign the diseeqc switch properly and allow everything to work.
You can't wipe out the channel list, because then you don't have any channels to work with. :(

Spent some more time on it, and have come to the conclusion that it can't be made to work with the GBox and diseqc switches at the same time.

I can get it to move the dish, but then no channels are displayed.

I will live with it for scanning by moving my dish with the GBox remote, my fixed dishes, and OTA, but until this is fixed, it can't become my main program for watching HD TV.

Well I decided to take the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 PCIe back to Circuit City.

I opted to go with the HDHomerun instead because it will allow all the computers on my network to access OTA HDTV without it actually running on the computer in my room. :) I manged to get one ordered this morning for $152.69 shipped from geektonics I think through Amazon.

I also purchased the Technotrend S2-3200 this morning, so I should be all set here in a few days. :)

Now we wait. :(

EDIT: I was going to buy a DVBWorld S2 USB, but tweaksystems.com, the NA dealer is out of stock and won't have any for a few weeks. I will still buy one, and will use it with my BLSA setup and will finally have a use for DVBViewer. :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts