Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stevemo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Canada
Hi again,
I am pondering getting a tuner card for my HTPC and putting my MicroHD in the living room as the wife isn't fond of watching TV in the basement unless we are watching a movie. That being said, can I get the ease of use of the microHD in Windows with a Tuner card?

If so, what would you recommend based on the following requirements:
  • Full operation in Windows
  • LNB in/out (microHD would be 2nd in line, only 1 would be in service at a time)
  • PCI-E
  • Blind Scan
  • DVB-S2
  • Motor Control (preferably USALS)
  • 4:2:2
  • Remote Control (preferably registered with Logitech Harmony Remotes)
  • 1080 resolution, this is up to the computer for the most part but I want HD

I have read up a bit on the Prof and TBS cards, not sure if there is anything else. The outrageously priced TBS card doesn't even indicate why it has two coax ports on it...I'd hate to guess it is an LNB in/out and be wrong.

What I do know is that I don't want to fool around with Linux. I have and will run it if I need to hack something using specialized boot images but I don't want to use it for day to day stuff. I always get the feeling that I've gotten the store brand cereal instead of the real deal when I use Linux. :p

Cheers, Steve

TBS has alot of affordable cards, the 5925/6925 are expensive because they offer things no other card on the market does. But they may be of no interest to you, so dont buy those cards then ;)

4:2:2 and 1080p are requirements of your computer, not the dvb card.

Motor control is done via diseqc cmd's, I would think that pretty much any card made in the last 15 years would support diseqc. USALS support is a feature of the software you use.

I dont use windows at all so I wont comment about what cards I like in linux as the two OS's arent comparable.

UDL

I always get the feeling that I've gotten the store brand cereal instead of the real deal when I use Linux. :p
quote!

LOL, I feel the same way about Windows Steve. I don't have any dvb cards in my computer-never messed with them, but I believe if you checked the linux forums you'd be surprised. I've seen programs for dvb for several years now, just never had a need to try them as I prefer the set-top box receivers. Now, that said, I don't know how EASY they would be to learn, haha.

edit: Here's a link to one program for Windows, if you do decide to go with a pci-card setup:
http://www.progdvb.com/download_progdvb.html
There's a free version, but looks like if you want diseqc control you gotta pay for that "professional" version. There's versions for 64bit computers with Windows listed there too..

Last edited:
I enjoy writing my own applications and fixing bugs in the kernel, so to me where you see store brand cereal vs brand name cereal, I see home made cereal :)

UDL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)