DVB World USB Box...Easy Transfer to DVD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
For those who have the DVB World USB box, I'm curious as to the complexity or ease of transferring any recorded standard definition video to DVD. Is there any type of lengthy re-encoding process that must be run as part of the process, or is it a pretty straightforward procedure? Also, in terms of re-encoding and transferring, are there any differences between burning 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 to DVD?

Finally, has anyone had any luck down-convering any HD transmissions to SD and transferring them to DVD as down-converted 16:9 SD video?

IA6Newspath said:
For those who have the DVB World USB box, I'm curious as to the complexity or ease of transferring any recorded standard definition video to DVD. Is there any type of lengthy re-encoding process that must be run as part of the process, or is it a pretty straightforward procedure? Also, in terms of re-encoding and transferring, are there any differences between burning 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 to DVD?

Finally, has anyone had any luck down-convering any HD transmissions to SD and transferring them to DVD as down-converted 16:9 SD video?

I've been recording Movie Central HD movies using my DVB card (SkyStar2) and then using either HDTV2DVD if I recorded a ".ts" file or Nero Express (if ".mpg") to recompress them down to a single layer DVD-R playable on a standalone DVD player. It generally takes 3-5 hours on my Athlon 64 3200 to reencode a 2 hour movie and it is close to a one click procedure. The quality is acceptable to me for my purposes using the default settings. Compression "blockiness" is apparent in dark and fast moving scenes. Most software like MyTheatre etc. (I use DVBViewer Pro) should be able to record in a suitable format for these.

I've never tried reencoding 4:2:2 as all I've ever watched in 4:2:2 is sports and if it isn't live i'm not interested in watching:D . It would be an interesting test.

Thanks for the replies. What format does DVB World use for recording SD programming...720 x 480 .mpg?

IA6Newspath said:
Thanks for the replies. What format does DVB World use for recording SD programming...720 x 480 .mpg?

It will likely be in whatever format the source is in as it should just write the "raw" DVB mpeg data to the disk. It is only when you display or reencode the data that mpeg decoding takes place via your PC's software (MyTheatre, ProgDVB, VLC etc.).

I record the programs with MyTheatre, then edit them with VideoReDo. I save the edited files to DVD with NERO and play them with a DVD player that playes MPEG files. This way I do not have to re-encode the files and loose any quality. The files are very small and can fit a few on each disc. If you do re-encode the files, you will loose some quality and they will generally be much bigger in size. VideReDo is great for editing the MPEG files and fixing some of the MPEG stream errors.
You can also try using DVD patcher to patch the first frame of the file to be a DVD standard, then load the file in TMPGENC DVD Author to create a quasi DVD from non-standard files. Once loaded in DVD Author, patch the file back to it original settings, and when you burn the DVD it will not have to re-encode the file. This will add the menus and allow the MPEG file to play on a lot, but not all of the DVD players, as the file is still not true DVD format. To re-encode to a true DVD format will take quite some time and computer power.
I have not tried recording any HDTV shows as of yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)