DVB World USB Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
For the people who picked up this little gem, I noticed that DVB World released a new version of the software available here:

http://www.worlddvb.com/html/softdown.htm

The also have an add-in with very basic instructions to get the box to work with ProgDVB:

http://www.worlddvb.com/html/dvb software.htm

The new software's description says:
This software add support DVB-S2 playing HDTV(H.264/MPEG2&MPEG4) and playing SDTV. add Via satellite Internet Server function. and add DiSEqC1.2 exclusive function.

H264/MPEG2&MPEG4 is what peaked my intrest. I've got the new software running now and on the surface it doesn't look much different than what came with the unit aside from a big 'DVB World' splash screen instead of a blank screen in the video window.

Using the ProgDVB .device download I was also able to get ProgDVB running with the box and I'll continue to experiment with it. ProgDVB has already crashed a few times too many for me to commit to ditching the included software in favor of it. I'm hoping that it's part of the learning curve :).

I'm going to host a copy of the new software on my website. I'll put it in the more common .zip format vs the .rar format that DVB World seems to like. It should also be MUCH faster to download than grabbing it from the other side of the planet.

On a related note... I believe that the Nextorm NBS240 is the 'original' flavor of this box. I couldn't get the Nextorm specific software / drivers to work though. Check out this review from Telesat Magazine of the Nextorm unit.

the statement "This software add support DVB-S2 playing HDTV(H.264/MPEG2&MPEG4) and playing SDTV" does NOT mean that USB2.0 DVBWorld Sat is DVB-S2 :)

Actually, it's very hard to make sense from their statement at all, cause they don't have any DVB-S2 device in the product list on their web-site.
So, what they meant under "DVB-S2 support" ??

Last edited:
I got to play with the new software some tonight. Some improvements I noticed:

Channel changing is MUCH faster.
All scanned in channels automatically go to your favorites list.
The satellite channel list now shows the satellite name as well as the East Long postion number.
The config screen is re-arranged and makes more sense.
The Transponders that you enter have the significant info in the name instead of just TP4 etc. Now it'll say 'TP4_3800_V_27000.

I'm still sorting out the DiSEqC stuff. I hope to try driving my SG2100 with it. The new config screen has a lot of detail around the diSEqC motor controls. It looks like it might even do USALS as it asks for site lat / long.

I just tried the new DVB World software and when I try to open Nextorm it says "Device not right". Any ideas ?

john green said:
I just tried the new DVB World software and when I try to open Nextorm it says "Device not right". Any ideas ?
I went around and around with that problem. If I installed it all clean I was fine. Luckily I have a half dozen computers to experiment with :).

Try updating the driver for the box with the one in the new software. It is a pain. Make sure you choose the 'DVBS2101 USB' option when installing the software and the driver.

Last edited:
I find the box to be a little tricky to use.I should say that the software is a little touchy.I will try your suggestion and see what happens.Thanks.

john green said:
I find the box to be a little tricky to use.I should say that the software is a little touchy.I will try your suggestion and see what happens.Thanks.
The new software makes using it a bit more intuative. It is also seems a lot more responsive. The info in the TP number is the handiest change so far. I also like seeing the satellite names in the Channel list. I wish the favs showed the sat name too but that's ok. In my favorites I added the 4DTV tile for the sat in the channel name.

This is my first exposure to PC DVB so I don't know if this box is any better or worse than the typical PCI card. It is nice to not have to go digging for codecs / graphs. This thing just works.

I'm looking forward to running this box on a computer with more processor. HD playback has been choppy at best and I'm sure it's because the CPU just pegs. Even watching SD the CPU is at around 60% on the two 1.4 Ghz laptops I tried it with.

Got it working.I dumped all the old software and started from scratch.I will play around with it tomorrow and let you know what I think.It already looks a bit more user friendly.Thanks for your help Shawn.

I noticed that while this '06' build seems to do a better job scanning in the AC3 PIDs, I don't get any AC3 audio. Hopefully isn't just a checkbox I missed someplace.

In ProbDVB the AC3 works fine on the same system.

I have determined so far that this new sofware does not do the scan function as well.I have had to do a manual input of all frequencies & symbol rates.

Are you talking about the transponders? Yeah they are terribly out of date. I put those in (as far as I can tell, this is the norm for PC DVB) and scan the transponders. Have you had any luck with AC3 audio?

Yes.I have not tried any with AC3 audio yet.I have been trying to scan in IRL race in Homestead that my Nephew is working the broadcast.

Shawn, No problems getting the AC3 audio on AMC 3.I don't recall a checkbox for that when loading the software.
Seems to be doing a better job scanning now also.

john green said:
Shawn, No problems getting the AC3 audio on AMC 3.I don't recall a checkbox for that when loading the software.
Seems to be doing a better job scanning now also.
Excellent. I think it has to do with the particular laptop I used. I might not have had the sound drivers isntalled when I installed the software.

FWIW, as of build 42 TSReader now supports this box. The current build is 43. I think I'm going to give it a look.

Played with this thing for quite a few hours today.I have to say the new software is much better.My only complaint at this time is I can't enter IA8 or Amozonas.They are not in the satellite list.Any ideas on how to get around this ?

john green said:
Played with this thing for quite a few hours today.I have to say the new software is much better.My only complaint at this time is I can't enter IA8 or Amozonas.They are not in the satellite list.Any ideas on how to get around this ?

Will this box run off of MyTheatre ?

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Will this box run off of MyTheatre ?

Wyr
I haven't tried it yet, but I believe there is a driver for it.

John-

I just use one of the Atlantic sats and delete all the existing transponders. Not being able to edit the satellite list kind of sucks but it isn't the end of the world.

ProgDVB has a more up-to-date list but still lacks IA 13 (121W). I just use chinasat or something like that because it reminds me on ImagineAsian on that sat :D .

If I could edit the sat names I'd have real name and the 4DTV tiles for all of 'em.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts