DVB World USB Satellite Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
WOW!

I hate to start a review with the word WOW! But its the only word that sums up this wee box:D

I FINALLY got round to installing it (Took 2 minutes) after having it sitting here for MANY months, I deeply regret now not installing it sooner.

I watched the Super Bowl yesterday and recorded The Rolling Stones to test out the recording (MPEG2) to Hard Drive feature. Very easy just click on RECORD and it starts, then playback is a breeze and you can FF. RW. and pause. A really NEAT feature is the "Time Shift" much like a Tivo you can pause live TV then start again whenever you are ready! Then again you can FF. etc. through the recording, this will be a sweet feature when we get into the summer Rock concert season, it will also be nice for any sports that I want to record and keep.

So far I have only seen one High Definition broadcast (The State of the Union) and that was mind blowing so I can only guess what it will be like watching FTA HD of something I am interested in, again music or sports. I have installed a BUTTLOAD of HD systems for DirecTV but there is nothing like having a monitor right up against your face in HD.

Its also great now to be able to decode 4:2:2 broadcasts / feeds and of course it plays AC3 audio :)

Most fun I have had since the 40" C-Band escapade!

This will be more of a Review in progress as and when I find time to use this amazing product, I can see my receivers getting a lot less work in the future :)
(Will also add some screen shots......)

Really the only time now I will be using a receiver is for the Blind Scan feature!

No Way Back!

You have to have a half decent PC to use this USB Receiver so its worth paying close attention to the specifications and PC requirements.

Protocol Supports
- Compatible with DVB Standard
- Supports MPEG2 Video/Audio/AC3 stream
- Supports USB2.0 interface
- Does not support USB1.1
DVB-S Box signal Switch Supports
- 22KHz tone device
- DiSEqC2.0 switch
- DiSEqC1.2 motor
- DiSEqC1.1 switch
- Tone Burst device

OS Supports
- Windows 2000 SP4, with DirectX 8.1 or above
- Windows XP SP2, with DirectX 8.1 or above

PC requirements
- 500MHz CPU or above
- 8M Bytes RAM or above
- 128M Bytes RAM or above
- USB2.0 support
- 50M Bytes hard disk free space

Hardware Features
- Interface
-- USB2.0 Interface
-- Power Adapter: DC 5V/2A
-- Signal connector without loop through
-- LNB Voltage: 13V/18V, 300mA max

Tuner
- Sharp 0194
-- Receiving frequency coverage: 950 ~ 2150MHz
-- Input level: -65dBm ~ -25dBm
-- Input structure: F type female
-- Nominal input impedance: 75 ohm
-- Channel selection system: PLL synthesizer (Clock 4.0MHz)
-- Step frequency: 500KHz
-- Symbol Rate: 2 ~ 45Msps
-- FEC
--- Inner decoder: Viterbi soft decoder, Constraint length M=7
--- Punctured codes 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8
--- Outer decoder: Reed-solomon decoder, for 16 parity bytes
--- Block lengths 204 bytes or 188 bytes

Software Functions Overview
- Digital TV or Radio playing
- Recording and Pre-Set recording schedule
- Recording file playback
- Time-Shifting
- Still Picture Capture
- Preview
- EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
- Teletext
- IP data broadcasting in LAN
- IP MPEG4 media playing
- IP MPEG4 media recording
- Drag Postion, Fast Forward, Rewind when in playback
- Multi language Switch
- Recall
- Favorite List Support
- TV mode and full screen support

Dimensions
- 79x68x24 mm

USB Satellite Receiver Key Features

- Quality digital satellite (DVB-S) channel reception
- Pure USB 2.0 High speed interface
- Compact and economic
- DVB data service
- Instant recording -- Record digitally as MPEG II format
- Schedule recording -- Set your own recording list and playback
- Time-shifting -- Pause live TV shows and never miss any marvelous moment!
- IP MEPG4 Reception and recording
- Support third party software: My theater and Progdvb
- Electronic program guide
- Support DiSEqC1.2 & USALS
- Multi-language output
- MPEG II software decoding

http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/USBManual.pdf

http://www.dmsiusa.com/usb_box.htm

PBS HD channel is on KU Band FTA

AMC-3 @ 87w

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

Attachments

• usb1.jpg
    usb1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,558
  • usb2.jpg
    usb2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,271
  • usb3.jpg
    usb3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,721
  • usb4.jpg
    usb4.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Pict0005.JPG
    Pict0005.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,834
  • Pict0004.JPG
    Pict0004.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,843
Last edited:
Just the softwware/drivers that comes with it right now, I have downloaded some other DVB software but not using it with the DVB World receiver yet.

I added the above link as I see there may be some updated software.

Does the AC3 audio have to be routed through a "home theater system" or does it play it directly?

Of the sponsors, who sells it?

Thanks

Chuck

starman
The box doesnt have a blind scan so you cant really do it that way. You have to manually put in everything

Yes, I understand its not blind scan. What I meant was how sensitive the tuner was. A side by side comparison scanning the same transponders with the usb box and a stb. The reason I ask is I would like to get a usb box but haven't heard good things about the tuners in the twinhan usbs. Just wondering if the dvbworld is any better?

Very sensitve, if the TP. has been entered it WILL find it! TP. and Satellite scan only.

Another cool feature, with no channel playing right click on the screen and choose preview. The screen splits into 9 with a snap shot of each channel on the TP.

Double click on one of the 9 screens and the channel plays.......

If there are fewer then 9 channels it just continually flicks through snap shots of each channel available!

Last edited:
Remote now available for the DVB World USB receiver :)

Attachments

• remote BIG.jpg
    remote BIG.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 442
even though it says that it doesn't support usb1 has anyone ever tested it? Reason I ask is the pc requirements seem like they are slow enough that it shouldn't matter if it's usb1 or usb2 since those are sort of low specs for a pc. I have some usb2 devices that work on usb1 ports, and am interested in this box... especially if it's backwards compatible with usb1, but don't wanna have to upgrade computer in order to do so. If I gotta do the upgrade, I'll hold off on looking in to buying it until I'm ready to upgrade computer in a few years.

Last edited:
Can it import bin files exported from a normal fta receiver?

I just bought a usb2 5 port pci card off of ebay... :)

Can it import bin files exported from a normal fta receiver?

I just bought a usb2 5 port pci card off of ebay... :)

Not with the included software. I'd be suprised if you couldn't do it with some of the other software out there though (DVBDream, RitzDVB etc)

i have been wanting to switch over from tv to pc, the thing is i have dishnetwork with all channels but showtime. i have thought about buying a tv to pc converter and going that way so i can still have the useage of the sat. channels i have now, and the useage of my vcr. so the thing i wonder is what kind of channels does this DVB World USB Satellite Receiver get? so if i do decide to go with a usb sat. reciever, where would i go to get the best deal on one?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)