DVB Worldbox vs Starbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I have read some of the old posts regarding this and I want to know what you guys think now. I have 1.6 ghz dual core laptop and want a usb box.

based on some of the earlier posts, I like the ease of use for the dvbworld but it seemed some didn't like it and returned it. Have the issues reagarding the software and power cord been resolved?

I just went through some issues with a DVB World box. It really depends on what software you're going to use. If you plan on using the software packaged with DVB World, then I think it will probably work great for you. The problems arise, to varying degrees when you start using third-party products like MyTheatre or TSReader. I wasn't able to get the DVB World box to control diseqc devices through any software other than that which shipped with it. I did a lot of research and couldn't find an answer, but did find a lot of other folks with the same problem.

For TSReader, you also have to use a different driver than with other software so if you want to use TSReader and any other softare package you'll also have to switch drivers all the time. The power cord issues are still around too. It ships with an odd power cord with a very poorly designed adapter. I think the power cord is designed for European power receptacles. The adapter for US power slides on and off with no locking mechanism. The cord could very easily be kicked out of the adapter, which I felt may be a safety issue if small children were around.

In my particular case, I also wound up with a defective unit. It only worked for a day or so, and then stopped all together. I know others have had them working well for a year or more so I don't know if there are quality control issues or if I was just unlucky.

In the end I just sent it back for a refund and got a Starbox. The Starbox doen't work with Tsreader, but it works great with MT and I'd suspect the other dvbcore based packages too.

Thanks for the respone. I have 2 questions.

1. What does Ts Reader or My Theater do that the dvb world software doesn't do? With all the people trying to use this software instead of the dvb world software, it would seem like there is some deficiency in it.

2. Is there a way to better secure the cord or adapter or would simply keeping the box stationary keep it connected?

Thanks for the respone. I have 2 questions.

1. What does Ts Reader or My Theater do that the dvb world software doesn't do? With all the people trying to use this software instead of the dvb world software, it would seem like there is some deficiency in it.

I didn't use the dvb world software enough to really give a comparison. In my case, I'm using the MT plugin for Sage TV so I can watch FTA programming through Sage. I've actually got a working guide for the G10R channels. :D A lot of folks like MT because the user interface is a little more polished than other apps, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case any more. TSReader provides a lot of really nice stream analyzing features. I also like to use it to record FTA HD from my C-band dish. TSReader allows me to save transport streams rather than program streams. Transport streams are much more compatible with the MyHD cards I use to watch HD than program streams.

2. Is there a way to better secure the cord or adapter or would simply keeping the box stationary keep it connected?

If you keep the box stationary, the cord shouldn't come loose. My big concern would be accidentally bumping it and pulling the plug out. My size 12's have been known to bump into the cables under the desk from time to time.

DVB Dream works fine with DVB World... BUT DON'T USE TS READER WITH DVB DREAM!

I found all sorts of problems once I started trying to fiddle with TS Reader. The Driver that TS Reader uses to interact with DVB Dream seemed to massively screw up everything... I finally got things sort of working again after going back to original driver, but getting original driver back took a lot of doing - registry editing, and some other stuff.... my timed recordings in DVB Dream now come out ok sort of sometimes if DVB Dream isn't minimized and isn't in renderless mode. It seems like if I use renderless mode now dvb dream will sometimes only record 0 kb mpeg files... nothings's actually recorded, a file is created and it's got nothing in it... Also now it seems that going minimized, especially when recording timed recordings, will cause there to be an issue as the icon at the bottom of the screen can be right clicked and the grey box will come up but the options to show, turn off recording, etc. won't be there... there's just a grey box and no words or options anywhere!

I used to use minimzed and renderless mode all the time since I only have a 1.5 ghz machine with 512 mb ram... going non-renderless with timed recordings maxes out cpu usage and sometimes crashes computer since it's using so much memory. I would advise anyone to STAY AWAY FROM TS READER ALTOGETHER IF YOU HAVE DVB WORLD USB BOX!

You don't have a program guide with DVB Dream, but if you use titantv it can act as your guide in timed recordings... just have dvb dream up and have your browser up in another window, and preferably have titan tv set up to look at 6 hours at a time and then set up timed recordings in dvb dream like you would a vcr more or less.

also..
I think the power cord is designed for European power receptacles. The adapter for US power slides on and off with no locking mechanism. The cord could very easily be kicked out of the adapter, which I felt may be a safety issue if small children were around.
I too think the power cord is a danger... I've seen sparks shooting out of the thing while plugging it in.... beware.

I still need to buy some electrical tape to put over it to keep that from happening in the future.

there is something wrong with your setup. TSReader is an excellent piece of sofware for analyzing/recording DVB. If you read the TSReader readme, it clearly states that you need to switch back to the orginal driver if you want to use DVBWorld or other third-party application.
The TSR driver was written by Rod, the author, for TSR ONLY.
I am using DVBWorld with TSReader every days, 4 hrs a day at least to record.
Like other member, I prefer TSReader because it records the stream in TS, that's the format the MyHD likes.
I also have the Starbox, that works fine with ProgDVB and MyTheatre. Problem is both records the stream in PS, and myHD does not like PS. It can still play the PS but has problem with fast forward/backward.

DVB Dream works fine with DVB World... BUT DON'T USE TS READER WITH DVB DREAM!

I found all sorts of problems once I started trying to fiddle with TS Reader. The Driver that TS Reader uses to interact with DVB Dream seemed to massively screw up everything... I finally got things sort of working again after going back to original driver, but getting original driver back took a lot of doing - registry editing, and some other stuff.... my timed recordings in DVB Dream now come out ok sort of sometimes if DVB Dream isn't minimized and isn't in renderless mode. It seems like if I use renderless mode now dvb dream will sometimes only record 0 kb mpeg files... nothings's actually recorded, a file is created and it's got nothing in it... Also now it seems that going minimized, especially when recording timed recordings, will cause there to be an issue as the icon at the bottom of the screen can be right clicked and the grey box will come up but the options to show, turn off recording, etc. won't be there... there's just a grey box and no words or options anywhere!

I used to use minimzed and renderless mode all the time since I only have a 1.5 ghz machine with 512 mb ram... going non-renderless with timed recordings maxes out cpu usage and sometimes crashes computer since it's using so much memory. I would advise anyone to STAY AWAY FROM TS READER ALTOGETHER IF YOU HAVE DVB WORLD USB BOX!

You don't have a program guide with DVB Dream, but if you use titantv it can act as your guide in timed recordings... just have dvb dream up and have your browser up in another window, and preferably have titan tv set up to look at 6 hours at a time and then set up timed recordings in dvb dream like you would a vcr more or less.

I also have the Starbox, that works fine with ProgDVB and MyTheatre.
Problem is both records the stream in PS, and myHD does not like PS.
It can still play the PS but has problem with fast forward/backward.
Try an evaluation copy of VideoReDo.
Bring up their editor, but instead of loading your PS into it , from the pull-down menu, select QuickStream Fix.
Have it process your file, and write to disc.
Now, try that program stream and see how it works.

I use VideoReDo to edit out commercials, but it has a powerful feature to fix-up timing issues and other modest stream errors.
It may solve the problem you mention.

You'll have to request a trial key.
It's a simple operation, also on the pull-down menu, and automated.
That unlocks the program to run for a couple of weeks, without any restrictions.
If you don't, then it'll only output something like 15 minutes worth of video.

Anole,
thanks for the info. The program I record every night is in HD on C-band, high bitrate, 30-35Mbps, approximately 10Gb/hr.
Do you know how long does it take to "fix" a 10gb file?..
MyHD likes the TS recorded by TSReader. It has no problem playing the TS file while TSReader recording.
That's neat because one does not need to wait TSReader finishes recording the program in order to watch it.
I wish that ProgDVB, MyTheatre and other application had option to record the stream in TS.
BTW, does anyone know a program supports Starbox that can record program in TS?
Thanks

Bring up their editor, but instead of loading your PS into it , from the pull-down menu, select QuickStream Fix.

I use VideoReDo to edit out commercials, but it has a powerful feature to fix-up timing issues and other modest stream errors.

That unlocks the program to run for a couple of weeks, without any restrictions.

Speed? It's pretty fast.
Maybe 10 minutes for that size file??
I would recommend you read from one local hard drive and write to a second, on the one computer, for best throughput.
You can watch your CPU usage in Task Monitor, but it won't likely be very high.
Mostly, this is a disc I/O limited operation.

BTW, does anyone know a program supports Starbox that can record program in TS?
Thanks

DVBViewer Pro writes TS files and supports the Starbox. I use it for all my recording and then (usually) VLC for playback. Personally I find it to be the best DVB viewing/recording software out there at this point. Unfortunately it is not free although they do have a free stripped down version that works only with the Skystar line of cards (but not twinhan).

Thanks. I don't mind paying for it but one certain thing I am looking for is that MyHD like the recorded file, meaning to be able to fast forward/backward and play the recorded file while the it is being recorded by the program.
I will check it out.
Thanks

DVBViewer Pro writes TS files and supports the Starbox. I use it for all my recording and then (usually) VLC for playback. Personally I find it to be the best DVB viewing/recording software out there at this point. Unfortunately it is not free although they do have a free stripped down version that works only with the Skystar line of cards (but not twinhan).

Anole,
VideoReDo does not fix the fast forward/backward program when using myHD for playing back the recorded file...:(
Thanks for the help though

Has anyone had any success recording HD with dvb worldbox software?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts