Please reply by conversation.

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
We are now offering the line of DVB-S2 receivers from DVBWorld:

usb2104C.jpg

• SDTV and HDTV (MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 and MPEG-2 Standard)
  • USB, PCI or PCIe for connecting to your PC, MAC, or laptop.

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Receivers/FTA_Free_to_Air_Receivers_Satellite.htm

We are now offering the line of DVB-S2 receivers from DVBWorld
Assuming this thread is in the correct forum section, wanted to ask, what are the exact reasons, most FTA dealers don't offer PCI(e) and USB Sat Receivers?

Do they usually complement, or rather can slow down sales of higher margin sat stbs? In what sales forecast numbers it becomes worthwhile to offer them for a larger dealer?

Do they usually result in more support requests from end users? More returns compare to STBs?

What tuner and demodulator chip models & revisions are used in DVB-Word USB and PCI-e receivers (very important for consumers question, never answered straight)?

Finally, why all larger sat PC Card makers are gone from NA market - an expert opinion?

Thanks! :up

Last edited:
Glad to see someone is finally carrying the line. I had to import five of these directly from China to fulfill my needs and thus may not be in the immediate market for more, but I have been very impressed with their performance. The DVB World drivers have been improving steadily and they now interface well to the Windows applications I tend to use. There is also pretty decent Linux driver support for them and I am in the very slow process of migrating all of my computer-based DVB receivers in that direction. I already use Linux exclusively for positioning and tweaking.

Any idea which chipset the new PCIe card uses? The USB boxes I have are CX24116-based. Not the latest and greatest, but they still work well.

We are now offering the line of DVB-S2 receivers from DVBWorld

This is wonderful news. I've been looking online for a while, and the PCIe 2005 looks like a pretty good card, and has good Linux support.

Pendragon, so far as I know, the PCIe card also has the 24116 chip.

It will be a couple of months or so before I get my order in, but I'm looking forward to it. I've had good results buying from Sadoun in the past.

Pendragon, so far as I know, the PCIe card also has the 24116 chip.

The board layout for the PCI and PCIe cards looks quite different. I thought I had read the PCIe version was using a later chip, but I may be mistaken.

Don't forget guys, the card PCB accommodates at least 3 different chips: tuner, demodulator and transport. Keep in mind, each chip has its model and revision number, which is very important. Please list all 3 chip models and revisions separately.

There are tons of stuff on the web posted about pros and cons of each sat receiver chip currently on the market. Given this, Card makers try to conceal chip models from buyers. Just one example: paying $2 for a known somewhat problematic chip instead of $20 for a very best chip can give extra $20M on 1 mln cards program run. Only that savings amount from a single chip is enough to pay off most program costs for a small CN manufacturer. Retail price is not that easier to set higher, no matter what chips are used, so the only real choice often is to make inferior product. Then end users start searching for a "better driver", because most never think hardware is the problem, and it can't be fixed at all.

Having said that, new DVB Word products may be the very best - who knows? Even a better reason to list the chips used openly, since buyers & competitors will see them anyway after opening the package. :)

Good to see Sat Cards offering from a reliable dealer!

Last edited:
Good to see Sat Cards offering from a reliable dealer!

Thanks Zamar23

To answer your question:

The four models below use Satellite Digital Satellite Tuner RF IC CX24118 (Tuner) and CX24116 (demodulator):

DVB-S2 USB
DVB-S2 USB with CA
DVB-S2 PCIe
DVB-S2 PCI

Thanks a lot.

I use your site periodically to buy stuff, and had only positive experience with your firm so far. Even more frequently I link my posts to it as an example of excellent FTA site with carefully collected and artfully presented often unique information material, and good selection source of FTA systems and components.

Thanks Zamar. Your feedback is very important to us.

BTW All,

The DVBWorld products are now in stock and shipping. We also have a few sets of replacement remote controls for these units. The Remotes will be listed on the website soon. If you need one right away, just call us.

I cant start a new thread. Does anyone know anything about the brand new competing product? It looks like it has better cdriver, standards, and 3rd party software support:

Prof Revolution DVB-S2 7500 USB

I cant start a new thread. Does anyone know anything about the brand new competing product? It looks like it has better cdriver, standards, and 3rd party software support:

Prof Revolution DVB-S2 7500 USB

Never heard of it either. If its specs are accurate, it uses a STB6100 front-end and a STV0903 demod. The latter is fairly current and well regarded, but the former is ancient. This is odd because with the improvements in integrated front-ends over the intervening years, I don't know why anyone would use something that old. It might be just a typo, but if they're right you probably want to avoid it.

The other caution is not all drivers are created equal. The mainline applications can normally support basic tuning operations for a lot of HW, but I've run into many headaches where significant portions of the tuner's functionality just aren't there. Unfortunately dovetailing drivers into a Windows API not intended for this domain seems to require hacking on both sides. Unless the app developer goes to the trouble and the driver developer makes their tweaked API available, you can be in for a ride. On the other hand in a simple setup, you might never notice any issues.

Thanks pendragon. It makes sense to stick with something that's proven to work. It would be nice to see DVBWorld DVB-S2 USB BOX2104C boxes in stock somewhere. Even after I told Sadoun that their Ebay store shows 6 in stock (while in reality they have none in stock), they just left it that way.

Even after I told Sadoun that their Ebay store shows 6 in stock (while in reality they have none in stock), they just left it that way.

Yes, as a gentle suggestion to one of our fine sponsors, it would be wonderful if the Sadoun online store actually reflected their true stock situation. While they have always been very quick to call me when an item I ordered was out-of-stock, it's a little frustrating to plan an order thinking everything was in-stock and to find out later otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts