DVD Burning with Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hey all. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but since it involves my 811 I am going to give it a shot.

I just bought a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD burner. Will this work with dish? Any help will be appreciated!!

Yes it will work fine, but on the SD outputs of the 811 only, as in Composite Video or S-Video.

Jason

So exactly how does this work. On the recorder, there are channel numbers. Since I don't use cable, how does this work? Sorry for the elementary questions.

the 811's SD outputs are active simultaneously to the HD outputs, so there is no need to toggle between them. To record a show you have to select the line in (S-Vid or Composite) on the DMR-55K. Using the 55K's EPG with the 811 is not possible to my knowledge, so you have to set a timer recording or manually record the show in question.

It works very well too. I was concerned with the PQ. But it was exactly as it was shown on HBO. Once again.. Thank you! Very happy!!!!

I don't think so...But this one I would defer to someone who owns a 55K. Some of the DVD/HDD units can do channel selection thru an IR blaster, but I don't believe the 55K has an IR blaster, I could be wrong.

Jason

i just used my dish remote and it changed channels and everything. I then hit record on my dvd burner remote and it instantly started recording.

For unattended recording you can set an "Auto Tune" timer on the 811 and a seperate timer on your 55K...Kinda a pain to set both timers but to my knowledge this will be the way to make it work. Don't use the VCR timer function on the 811 cause it has some issues...To be fixed in Software rev. P282 being spooled now to beta.

Jason

I am actually quite suprised how well the recording is! Now time to tinker. lol
Now, one more question. This recorder will record on DVD-r and DVD-ram. Exactly what is DVD-Ram?? Can it be re-written??

Note that the 55K manual states that to record MTS/SAP or 16:9 aspect ratio they say you need to use DVD-RAM.

But either way with the fun it sounds like your having it's time to go stock up on disc's...I just got a 50 pack of DVD-R's from CompUSA for $19...I've seen them cheaper but I like the brandname stuff.

Enforcer said:
I am actually quite suprised how well the recording is! Now time to tinker. lol
Now, one more question. This recorder will record on DVD-r and DVD-ram. Exactly what is DVD-Ram?? Can it be re-written??
I have a Dmr E30, and used a 6000u to burn downrezzed from, I found that I had better PQ with the ram discs, and they seem to be very stable... your can use flex record to adjust the time to the disc. Wally world did have ram disc's but I have not seen them in awhile...

Quality degrades with record time.

Be warned that recording longer times uses more compression -- smaller image recorded. For me, anything over 2 hours 4 minutes required going from SP (2hr nominal) to LP (3hr +) and although the booklet didn't say so, this meant the image size recorded was with half the number of lines.

Going to SLP (4hr) or EP (6hr) really generates pixelization and you are down to a 320 x 240 image (EP). The best quality (1hr) was only sightly better than SP.

My Classic died two weeks or more ago with a locked door and later the power supply as I investigated. With my 921 I may not replace it. I did get about 200 DVD+RW recordings $1.20 each for the recorder, $.50 for the RW disk.

BTW, it had component out but not in. S-video, composite, and RF in and out. Some (Pioneer) record -R, some record +R, and some play one or both. I would even do PAL -- just gets in the way.

-Ken

I have a semi-related question: Are there any DVD recorders that would take the Toslink output from the 811 and preserve the Dolby Digital surround? Seems like a reasonable thing to do; therefore I must conclude that the MPAA would have a major cow if anyone created a digital copy of their soundtracks, so no one offers this feature.

I was considering getting the DMR-E55K to go with my 522 to permamnently archive shows i've recorded. What would be the best way to hook this up? I'm currently in single tuner mode, but the secondary outputs don't have S-Video, correct? So I was thinking to maybe just output the 522 through the recorder full time. But then would the satellite come through when the recorder was off? Or do I now need to power that on every time. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts