Dvd+r

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Is it true that the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 will not play DVD+R discs? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me. I would also assume it would be a deal breaker for many others since a lot of people have DVD+R discs in their collections. Since DVD+R is the more popular of the recordable DVD Discs I have to say I am somewhat shocked that these two Toshiba players are incabable of playing these discs. Does anyone know if the Blu-Ray Players will play DVD+R Discs? I also just found out from Robert at VE that the Component outputs on the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 will not be active at the same time as the HDMI output. Another deal breaker for me since I feed my projector via HDMI and feed the LCD in my Home Theater Bathroom via Component.

~Josh

Toshiba does not claim DVD+R compatibility. We will know for sure in a couple of days. ;)
And I believe Sony BDP-S1 does support DVD/DVD+/-R / +/-RW

If anyone gets their hands on....

a Toshiba, please try a DVD +R if you have one. This is of concern to me also as I have all my home movies on +R and this would be a deal breaker for me until someone comes out with a multi-format that does... Thanks, Gerry

Boy would that be ba foul up

ggw2000 said:
a Toshiba, please try a DVD +R if you have one. This is of concern to me also as I have all my home movies on +R and this would be a deal breaker for me until someone comes out with a multi-format that does... Thanks, Gerry

Not that I am interested in being an early adopter of HD DVD anyway, but if they will not play DVD+R...that would put a nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned!

Since I have a Pioneer Elite 59i DVD player now, I am not anxious to be a beta tester for anyone
Jeff

I tried a DVD+R with MP3 music on it - it was not recognized. I don't have any DVD+R videos handy, but I will try it when I get a chance.

I don't have any DVD+R's at home but I do have some DVD+RW's.
I just tried copying a home video from DVD-R to DVD+RW and it played just fine in HD-A1!
If that's the case, I think DVD+R's might play fine too. Good news!

DVD+R movies

I tried 3 different movies this morning (Sunday) but none of them worked. So no DVD+R,sorry to say. I played Gladiator in DTS ES using an optical cable to a Yamaha receiver and the Yahaha recognised it as being ES (Thank God). Also no DVD audio. I even pluged in the analog cables but it won't give you the option on the screen. It will play DVD-As and Dual Discs (Talking Heads) but it plays them as normal DVDs.

I am thinking if you change the booktype to dvd-rom on a dvd+r disc it will work.. but anything that you have already burned to booktype +r will probably be useless. I can't believe that Toshiba would leave out that kind of support. I can see tons of these boxes being returned. If everyone recalls, the major brand DVD players were slow in getting other formats incorporated into DVD players.. For years the cheaper brands would do VCD SVCD mp3's while the majors would only do DVD. After awhile most major brands started to add the other formats. Now here it is again Toshiba leaves out the biggest blank media format that is used today.. I do remember the early Toshiba DVD players also stunk when it came to other formats. I was wondering if this sort of issue would happen with the HD DVD player.. I knew it was in Toshiba's best interest not to do something stupid like that.. But I knew it probably would be the case.. Because Toshiba is a major name player... If apex had put this out you can bet it would be compatible with all legacy formats.

Toshiba

samatha6 said:
I am thinking if you change the booktype to dvd-rom on a dvd+r disc it will work.. but anything that you have already burned to booktype +r will probably be useless. I can't believe that Toshiba would leave out that kind of support. I can see tons of these boxes being returned. If everyone recalls, the major brand DVD players were slow in getting other formats incorporated into DVD players.. For years the cheaper brands would do VCD SVCD mp3's while the majors would only do DVD. After awhile most major brands started to add the other formats. Now here it is again Toshiba leaves out the biggest blank media format that is used today.. I do remember the early Toshiba DVD players also stunk when it came to other formats. I was wondering if this sort of issue would happen with the HD DVD player.. I knew it was in Toshiba's best interest not to do something stupid like that.. But I knew it probably would be the case.. Because Toshiba is a major name player... If apex had put this out you can bet it would be compatible with all legacy formats.

I must say that Toshiba has always been a BIG disappointment to me in this area. They are shortsighted in most electronics that they produce. In the end this will cost them sales and many returns because their player will not support +R.:mad: . So be it in that they lost a sale from me. Gerry

So does it or does it not play DVD +r ??

Has anyone played a +r disc?

All of my backups are + r (400 or so) So It really needs to do it for me to plunk down $500

As I understand, Toshiba does not guarantee that all DVD+R discs will play, but most do, from what I've heard.

Ilya said:
As I understand, Toshiba does not guarantee that all DVD+R discs will play, but most do, from what I've heard.

Well according to some people on this thread... it doesn't. And you said yourself that it won't do MP3 data discs... thats bad. I am not too worried about it, since you can bet that once the lesser known HD DVD players hit walmart they will play All the legacy formats.. for less money. As it is, I would have to have two DVD players hooked up to my set to keep all the formats.. Which is possible in my living room.. I already have two DVD players on my older Sony big screen. The problem is, that TV does not to HD. But I am glad I did not buy a big screen HD set yet with all the image constraint token crap. Which leads me to a question.. Has anyone noticed any of the new HD DVD titles with the ICT turned on? If so, that should be clearly marked on the packaging.. If I had my way, they would have to be in red bold letters :)

samatha6 said:
you said yourself that it won't do MP3 data discs... thats bad.
No, I didn't say that. Sorry for causing the confusion. All I can state is that the player refused to play a particular DVD+R disc with MP3 files on it. And that's all I tried. This does not necessarily mean that it won't play Video DVD+R's (in fact, some people suceeded with that) and it doesn't mean it won't play CD's with MP3 (the manual states it would - I haven't tried). I wouldn't make any general conclusions based on just one experiment. ;)

Has anyone noticed any of the new HD DVD titles with the ICT turned on?
No, I don't think any of the first released titles have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)