DVD recorder unable to record from 722k

ajm80031

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Denver
A few weeks back we switched from DirecTV to DISH and got a 722k DVR. We have an LG DVD recorder that I've used on occasion to archive a show we'd want to watch again in the future but didn't want taking up space on the DVR. Today I tried to use it for the first time with the 722k and it refuses to record, telling me the program is copy protected.

The DVD recorder is connected to the DVR via the 'TV2' analog (RCA) outputs. The recorder will display the program being played on TV2, but gives the 'copy protection' message when I hit the record button. What I'm trying to record to DVD isn't a PPV movie or anything, just a show off of SPEED TV. For the DVD recorder to refuse to record an analog source, I'm guessing it must think it's detecting a Macrovision copy protection signal. Do DISH DVRs output such a signal, or is my DVD recorder just horribly confused?

What's the brand and model number of your DVD Recorder? Digital Rights Management is something that ALL pay TV companies must comply with. I want to take a look at some of the specs from the DVD Recorder and see if I can figure out what's going on.

The manufacturer is "LG", and the model number is "DR787T". I used this same recorder with our old SD DirecTV DVR and it never refused to record programs off of that. So presumably the DISH DVR is doing something different.

I'm using component output from the DVD recorder to the TV (it's got HDMI out as well but all my HDMI ports are in use). If the way the recorder is connected to the TV matters, I believe the recorder also has RCA/analog outputs I could use instead.

FWIW, I have no issues with my 722k and Panasonic DVD recorder using the composite output from TV2 on Dish or from S-Video on DirecTV. From a few searches, it looks like LG can give false positives on CP from many sources. Sony is even worse.

If possible, please try it with the analog outputs. Something here is not HDCP compliant, which is normally what prevents the recordings. On another note, from what I can tell, HDCP is only kicked in with digital connections (which is normally HDMI when it comes to our receivers).

As an alternative, consider buying an external USB 2.0 self-powered hard drive and moving the content to it. In that way, you don't have to give up HD so you can archive it.

If Speed demands protection, carriers must honor it; even if it is by accident.

If possible, please try it with the analog outputs. Something here is not HDCP compliant, which is normally what prevents the recordings. On another note, from what I can tell, HDCP is only kicked in with digital connections (which is normally HDMI when it comes to our receivers).
What does experiencing Macrovision record blocking have to do with HDCP?

I disconnected the composite cables from the DVD recorder and connected analog (turns out it was S-video + audio) output instead. This is for the connection to the television. It doesn't appear to have made any difference -- I still get a 'copy protection' message when hitting the record button on the DVD recorder while its input is set to the DISH DVR's 'TV2' RCA/analog outputs.

mdavej says these recorders can 'false positive' on copy protection. I'd run into inconsistent results with it in the past trying to make copies of commercial VHS tapes that I own before they degrade beyond watchability -- it would happily record some of the commercial tapes but balk at others (differing even for tapes from within a boxed set which presumably were all recorded the same way). So this might just be a case of a flaky DVD recorder, although if that's the case I've currently got no way to archive anything from the DVR for the long term.

Have you tried connecting the 722 to the DVD recorder via the RF output? If that doesn't work, I'd suggest hooking the 722 up to an old VCR if you have one handy and then connecting that to your DVD recorder. You might be able to bypass macrovision that way.

What does experiencing Macrovision record blocking have to do with HDCP?

Note that I'm guessing that the DVD recorder thinks it's detecting a Macrovision copy protection signal. Since I'm hooked up to the DVR via RCA/analog jacks, and Macrovision is the only analog copy protection I'm aware of, I've made the assumption that's the culprit. I've got no proof, though, just the DVD recorder's stubborn refusal to record when the DVR is replaying the show.

Do you mind telling us what show you are trying to record? I have a pioneer 531 dvd recorder hooked up via the rca plugs.

I'm trying to record SPEED TV's broadcast of the Goodwood Revival.

Anyone know if there's a way to tell if the DISH box thinks a particular event is protected?

The dish 722 is not the problem, I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and can record anything from my 612,622 and 722K. It is a problem with the LG DVD, same thing with Sony.

OP is using RCA out to the DVD-Recorder; so no HDCP issues.

I've recorded to DVD from various channels onmy 722. Does this happen on all channels? (if so, might assume a DVD-Recorder problem.)

Note that I'm guessing that the DVD recorder thinks it's detecting a Macrovision copy protection signal. Since I'm hooked up to the DVR via RCA/analog jacks, and Macrovision is the only analog copy protection I'm aware of, I've made the assumption that's the culprit. I've got no proof, though, just the DVD recorder's stubborn refusal to record when the DVR is replaying the show.
My post was directed at MattG's theory that the problem was related to how the recorder was connected to the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)