Status
Please reply by conversation.

asousa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 8, 2004
Stoughton, MA
Any know if you can record HD content onto a DVD recorder?? I was checking out best buy and these things are reasonbly cheap these days. I wouldn't mide picking one up if I could record HD content from my H10 and have it look near HD on playback (I know not true HD, but progressive scan).

I burn down converted HD content all the time to my PC burner that only cost me $60 and it never makes "coasters" and plays in any DVD player and is also dual layer DVD9 format so it will hold a full 2hrs in the best resolution possible. It beats ANY home DVD recorder.

charper1 said:
I burn down converted HD content all the time to my PC burner that only cost me $60 and it never makes "coasters" and plays in any DVD player and is also dual layer DVD9 format so it will hold a full 2hrs in the best resolution possible. It beats ANY home DVD recorder.

not to sound stupid here, but for you to that you would need some kind of TV input card correct? I have a DVD burner in my PC to "backup" DVDs, never thought I could burn HD content from D* tho....

Man that would be an awesome HD-DVR from D*. Have a HD box with full DVR capabilities, then it also has a DVD burner built into the box to record your shows to DVD in 480P mode for HD material. To bad that would never happen.

Anyway, I see charper1 has Replay TV vs. Tivo, is this part of the reason you're able to do this charper1? What kind of card does the PC require for something like this? I'm very curious about building a HTPC in the near future.

asousa said:
not to sound stupid here, but for you to that you would need some kind of TV input card correct? I have a DVD burner in my PC to "backup" DVDs, never thought I could burn HD content from D* tho....

No because my DVRs have the ability to off load my recordings via ethernet with no loss, directly to the hard drive with no card needed. It is the same exact RAW MPEG file the the DVR stores. Use your favorite editing/burning software to remove commercials and stuff and then burn. Since there are no HD-DVD burners for us yet this is the #1 reason why I stuck with ReplayTV over any TiVo (even the HD model) until we see what the new DirecTV HMC will do; because there is no way to burn/archive that HD content. Can't justify more than $300 for any DVR I can't easily ethernet my shows to PC.

charper1 said:
No because my DVRs have the ability to off load my recordings via ethernet with no loss, directly to the hard drive with no card needed. It is the same exact RAW MPEG file the the DVR stores. Use your favorite editing/burning software to remove commercials and stuff and then burn. Since there are no HD-DVD burners for us yet this is the #1 reason why I stuck with ReplayTV over any TiVo (even the HD model) until we see what the new DirecTV HMC will do; because there is no way to burn/archive that HD content. Can't justify more than $300 for any DVR I can't easily ethernet my shows to PC.

ok, so i need replayTV to accomplish this....could I get a DVD recorder and hook it up to my H10, i don't have a replayTV. Would this act like a DVR?

YES, I do not know the H10 like the back of my hand, but you should almost certainly be able to use the video out jacks to the video in of the DVD recorder to accomplish this; I am not sure what the resolution loss rate would be.

You would have to read the true specs of the DVD recorder VERY CAREFULLY and seek some real world user experiences on models you are looking at. These devices can have habits of not being compatible with the most widely available media AND, even once you find a workable media, your burned DVD may or may not work in a vast majority of other players (if that is of any concern). This is the MAIN thing the DVR to PC eliminates, even if you went through a capture card first and then used a top quality PC DVD-DL (DVD9) burner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)