DVD Recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

okypinoky

Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Good Afternoon:

First - please be nice, I am trying to learn about something very new to me - DVD recording.

I am looking to purchase a DVD recorder, but I really do not know what type, king or brand to look for. I would like to be able to record HD TV stuff, which I would assume that I should look for a recorder that has BOTH input and output HD component (Green, Blue, Red connections). But those kinds of DVD recorders are hard to find - all you most find in component output lines.

I do not know anything about HDMI, except my HDTV does not have ths type of connection.

Also, I noted while shopping that some have hard drives (60-120GB) in them. Not sure why or if this is something that I should look for.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

There are many dvd recorders to choose from. All but a few new ones have analog tuners in them. Soon they will all have digital tuners where you will be able to record an hd signal. When you watch it, it will be in widescreen, but not hd. It will look very good, however. You may want to wait a little longer when there will be dvd recorders with hard drives in them. This will allow for much longer recording times.

LG markets a DVD recorder witha digital tuner---it costs about $100 more. Panasonic ha s said that they will move to digital tuners and their boxes clearly state that the DVR has an analog tuner.

But don't ttrust the salespeople particular at CC or BB. If it does not say it hasa digital tuner it very likely does not.

So, am I to understand that even if you connect your DVR to the component inputs of the DVD recorder, you will not recording in HD quality?

I guess I am looking for more simplier suggestions - does anyone have a good DVD recorder and are recording shows off their DVR with great success? If so, name and model number would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry - I am really confussed with all of this "digital" vs "analog" discussions.

Personally I have not seen a DVD recorder with component INPUTS. Most recorders upconvert to HD but do not actually record that way. there are some exceptions I know that toshiba has sucha model but they are rare and priced quite high.

The other problem would be which HD format would you record in (BR or HD-DVD).

As for the hard drive that would help you in terms of editing. It si without questioan a good feature.

i take that back--or part of it. a quick search shows some DVD recorders with component INPUT although when I look at the specs it is not clear to em taht they really have this.. I still doubt that it is in either HD format given the prices.

I have a philips with component INPUTS, it was a rare find when I got it. It has an TV tuner for catv also. It does not record HD, but it does record extremely well form the component inputs. It also outputs through HDMI as one of the output options.

As a matter of fact, I no long have a need for it cause I am just not recording enough anymore. If the OP or anyone is insterested PM me, I was just going to go place it in the classified section.

Thanks for the additional info. I was able to pick up a Phillips DVD recorder with Component inputs. I too am not sure as to why they are here except for perhaps picture quality.

I attempted to attach my Dish 622 HDDVR to it, however (after an exhausting trial and error through many Dish DVR settings) I ws not able to get any picture except a rolling one. Something to do with Progressive or another type of input/output. I do not remember what the two choices were. I returned the Recorder since I was unable to get it to work.

Simply put, I just could not get anything to work. If anyone has a setup like what I am trying to do, your settings and cable connections (component or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

I have a philips with component INPUTS, it was a rare find when I got it. It has an TV tuner for catv also. It does not record HD, but it does record extremely well form the component inputs. It also outputs through HDMI as one of the output options.

As a matter of fact, I no long have a need for it cause I am just not recording enough anymore. If the OP or anyone is insterested PM me, I was just going to go place it in the classified section.

Amy have component and HDMI outputs and upconvert. if you ahve one with component inoputs you are lucky. Does it look much better than composite or S-Video?

I have a Panasonic dvd recorder with a hard drive. It has an analog tuner regular video inputs so I record off of my LG 3200a. If the source is hd, then it records in widescreen 480i. It's not hd, but it still looks very good. I'm hoping there will be dvd recorders with ATSC tuners and hard drives coming out soon.

Amy have component and HDMI outputs and upconvert. if you ahve one with component inoputs you are lucky. Does it look much better than composite or S-Video?

When I was using it last, I had it hooked to my FTA box. Image quality was equal to what was put into it. I actually did some testing when it was on the FTA setup. I used PBS on AMC3 for my testing.
When I recorded stuff through component, it recorded in really good quality; much better than s-video.

The HDMI interface was nice, it would take my component vid input, and L/R audio (no DD inputs sorry) and pass it all out on the HDMI cable, so it made a nice clutter free setup for me.

Hi, like the original poster I'm new in my knowledge of DVD recorders. And to be honest, I'm still trying to learn about all the technology of today. A number of threads I read here just go over my head. But I was wondering if you guys could answer a couple of simple questions for me. I'm looking for a DVD recorder.

First, I only have an SD television. I don't have an HD television.
If I buy a DVD recorder with a digital tuner will it work on my SD
television?

And 2nd, if I buy a DVD recorder without a digital tuner does that
mean when Feb. 2009 comes (I believe that's the date that there will
be no more analog) will my DVD recorder that doesn't have a digital
tuner still work?

First, I only have an SD television. I don't have an HD television.
If I buy a DVD recorder with a digital tuner will it work on my SD
television?
Yes it will. I am pretty sure all DVD recorders have video outputs for standard TVs.

And 2nd, if I buy a DVD recorder without a digital tuner does that
mean when Feb. 2009 comes (I believe that's the date that there will
be no more analog) will my DVD recorder that doesn't have a digital
tuner still work?
Yes, it will work. The question is what are you recording from? If you are recording from a VCR, from a DVR, from a camcorder, from a cable box or from a satelite receiver, you do not need a tuner. All these devices normally have video outputs that you can use without a tuner. Most TV sets have video outputs too, so you should also be able to record on your DVD recorder directly from the TV set: whatever you are watching on it.

The only case when you do need a built-in tuner is when you are trying to connect OTA (over-the-air) antenna or cable (without a cable box) directly to your recorder.

Good Afternoon:

First - please be nice, I am trying to learn about something very new to me - DVD recording.

I am looking to purchase a DVD recorder, but I really do not know what type, king or brand to look for. I would like to be able to record HD TV stuff, which I would assume that I should look for a recorder that has BOTH input and output HD component (Green, Blue, Red connections). But those kinds of DVD recorders are hard to find - all you most find in component output lines.

I do not know anything about HDMI, except my HDTV does not have ths type of connection.

Also, I noted while shopping that some have hard drives (60-120GB) in them. Not sure why or if this is something that I should look for.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Right now there are no DVD recorders that will record in HD. Well, there are a very few that would cost you mega bucks if you can find them. Wait until the BluRay/HD war ends before you worry about a HD recorder. For the time being there are many low priced DVD recorders. I have a friend who has a Sony & it does a good job.

If you want to record & view movies & shows in HD get a HD rec./DVR that's HD. I have a Dish VIP-722 DVR that holds 300 hrs. of SD programming & 50 hrs. of HD prog. My DVD recorders are Sony & older units, but they make the same PQ as any new recorder. Regarding HDMI- It takes both the sound & video from a receiver or DVD player to your amplifier or HD TV. It's supposed to be the state of art hookup & I use it. I have a surround system & use an optical connector from my rec. to the amp as my amp has no HDMI inputs.

Most all DVD recorders will give you what you want for now. It's just a matter of what features you want & how much $$ you want to spend. I personally would buy a Sony as I have 2 Sony recorders currently. Good luck.:rolleyes:

The only case when you do need a built-in tuner is when you are trying to connect OTA (over-the-air) antenna or cable (without a cable box) directly to your recorder.

Okay this is what I need clarification on.

I have a TV in the other room that just has rabbit ears. If I buy a DVD recorder with a digital tuner and connect it to that TV will that DVD recorder be able make that TV broadcast my local stations in February 2009?

I have a TV in the other room that just has rabbit ears. If I buy a DVD recorder with a digital tuner and connect it to that TV will that DVD recorder be able make that TV broadcast my local stations in February 2009?
Yes, your old analog TV set will be able to show digital channels using the tuner in the DVD recorder.

Or you can just get a voucher toward a standalone ATSC tuner, which will be much cheaper than a DVD-recorder with a tuner. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)