DVD-Recorders

Darrel I have the dmrE30 (no hard drive) I recently got a new pc for my theater room (htpc) and it has a +r and +rw burner. The panny read those with ease too. I seem to get better Pq using Ram discs on mine, but recently I have been using my Replay to archive with for the flexability. Pq not quite as good...

DarrellP said:
I don't know what type of drive is in it, but here is what it will read:
DVD-Video (burns DVD-RAM & DVD-R), DVD-Audio, Video CD, CD-Audio, CD-R/CD-RW (MP3, CD-DA, Video CD Formatted).

Darrell,

That's what it says. Mine says that too.

But What I mean does it read, Maxell, Verbatim, Staples, Imation, generic, etc...

I buy DVD-Rs in bulk and usually the cheapest I can get. My progressive scan DVD player only reads certain brands. It can't read Maxells ($2 DVDs). It's a pansonic too.

My old panasonic reads most brands, but it's 480i.

So if you DVD player says it reads DVD-Video (burns DVD-RAM & DVD-R), DVD-Audio, Video CD, CD-Audio, CD-R/CD-RW (MP3, CD-DA, Video CD Formatted).

It's not necessarily true. Check out http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers for compatibility before you buy any DVD media. Especially DVD-RAMs, those suckers are expensive.

That's what I thought you meant by compatibility.

I got Liteon DVD recorder 5005, it records DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, Audio CD , VCD on CDR as well as CDRW, but not DVD-RAM. But are u guys able to record in 16:9 format, it records in SD format in SD TV it looks great but it's ok in HD TV. I also I was trying to play DVD+rw in my old mintek DVD player, after 30 minutes the video gets choppy and frequent freezes. I am not sure what the problem is. I am not sure whetehr it is the media or the DVD player or the recorder. I am right now in different state cant check with Liteon recorder till this weekend. But have u guys noted any problems?

I have a Panasonic E60 and I have recorded some dvd off of VOOM that look spectacular. To me they look nearly as good as the original picture. Last night on Discovery HD, just before 8 p.m., they had a maybe 5 minute synopsis of the LOTR movies before giving an ad for ROTK afterwards. It looked great and I wished I had recorded it to see how the picture turned out. The hd picture looked as good as any of my LOTR dvd's.

PBSHDinSD, I haven't purchased any media yet. I have some Maxell DVD-R's on backorder from Office Depot (buy one, get one free) and some Panasonic DVD-RAM's backordered from Best Buy so I haven't been able to try burning anything yet.

desidoc said:
I got Liteon DVD recorder 5005, it records DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, Audio CD , VCD on CDR as well as CDRW, but not DVD-RAM. But are u guys able to record in 16:9 format, it records in SD format in SD TV it looks great but it's ok in HD TV. I also I was trying to play DVD+rw in my old mintek DVD player, after 30 minutes the video gets choppy and frequent freezes. I am not sure what the problem is. I am not sure whetehr it is the media or the DVD player or the recorder. I am right now in different state cant check with Liteon recorder till this weekend. But have u guys noted any problems?

I have seen this happen with home videos I have sent to my family. It will read fine on my DVD player, but theirs will freeze up after a time.

I believe it goes back to the media.

dfergie said:
Wally world has Maxell dvd-r 10 pack with jewel case for 16$ and some change, 4x. They also have 3 packs of maxell dvd ram in jewel case for 12$ +.
I have not had a coaster yet using both the 4x and the older 2x.
Darrel my local Wal-mart had the dvd-ram discs for 9$ today for a 3 pack they must be clearing them out. (I had read on one of the forums about this a couple of weeks ago)I bought a 3 pack, I have a bunch with Survivor on them I need to convert and burn to either -r or +r :)

Thanks dfergie, that's a great price for DVD-RAM. The RAM discs I have on backorder are from Best Buy, it's a 10 pack for 33.99 with a $29.00 rebate. For that price, I guess I can wait awhile.

VOOM box - 16x9 & timer?

I'm scheduled for my VOOM install on 6/12. Currently, I have DirecTV w/a Sony HD300 receiver. It sends a proper 16x9 'squeezed' signal via s-video to my DVD recorder. It doesn't window-box. Does the VOOM receiver do likewise? Also, does it have a manual timer feature to make it go on/off at certain times?

My Liteon 5005 DVD recorder picks up only SD version via S-video. It is not in the 16:9 format.

So, are you saying if there's a 16x9 HD program playing, the s-video 480i output isn't 16x9 or 'squeezed'?

Found the answer! Looks like you can record 16x9 material as 16x9. The Panny DVD recorders improperly flag everything as 4x3 when you make a finalized DVD-R, but that's another matter. You can correct this using IFOEdit on a PC.

My new Panny E85 says it will flag 16x9, I'll have to check it out once I get some media to play around with.

Why did the VCR skate by, but DVDs can't? This assumption that HDDVD will ruin the industry is assinine. Whatever happened to fair use? Copying for private home use has always been legal. Or did that change?

My new Panny E85 says it will flag 16x9, I'll have to check it out once I get some media to play around with.
Only w/recordings on your hard-drive & DVD-RAM. Once you make a finalized DVD-R, everything gets flagged 4x3. At that point, you have two choices ... [1] Put the program on a RAM disc, import it to a PC & use IFOEdit or DVDPatcher to change the flag to 16x9, or [2] just play the 4x3 flagged DVD-R & your widescreen/16x9 display should still show it correctly. It just won't play properly for people who have 4x3 displays. So, your friends or family w/4x3 TVs will see a squeezed picture.

Thanks for the info, looks like I need a DVD-RAM recorder for my PC. Brajesh, is IFOEDIT the program that Panasonic supplies? I've heard in other forums that it is a very good editor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)