DVD sales no longer covering rising studio costs

Interesting they are saying they have to pay actors/producers/directors too much to make a profit. The producer's and director's contracts come up next year, and they could strike. The writers guild is on strike now...

Sounds like it is written to show the studios do not have any more money to give in the contract negotiations.

They are making millions!!!! They just don't want to give up a bigger slice of the pie to those who make the movies. Maybe they should go back to the days when actors belonged to the studios on contract. Then they could control the world!!!!

Their problem is paying the actors too much.I vote for cutting their pay.

Yeah, as a result those poor studio executives have to drive an 8 cylinder sedan luxury German sedan to work rather than a 12 cylinder one. :rolleyes:

There's so much crap rolled into producing movies. Actor's, producer's and executive salaries are only part of the problem.

#1) They put out crap films/movies.

#2) They put out too many. Last time this happened, they scaled back on product. Voila!

#3) Consumers have other choices. This (not piracy) is what bit the music industry in the ass. Failure to recognize that people can watch TV, see a play, surf the net, go to the park and do other things. Not everyone wants to veg in front of the TV and watch a $20 DVD once.

One thing possibly contributing to declining DVD sales which they don't consider is people like me who haven't bought an SD DVD since fall 2006 as I waited to see how the HD format war would play out and for prices on players to come down (I finally got a PS3 40G last week).

Same as Zookster; we only rent SD DVD awaiting the HD war conclusion or known inevitability. We rarely find movies worth buying anyhow; past the classics and multi-watchable children's flicks & multi-watchable blockbuster series like Terminator or Pirates, we don't see owning as a worthwhile investment.

One thing possibly contributing to declining DVD sales which they don't consider is people like me who haven't bought an SD DVD since fall 2006 as I waited to see how the HD format war would play out and for prices on players to come down (I finally got a PS3 40G last week).

Do you guys honestly think the 1-5% of people that care about the next laserdisc are what's causing the DVD market to decline?

Do you guys honestly think the 1-5% of people that care about the next laserdisc are what's causing the DVD market to decline?

If I leave out your ignorant "next laserdisc" comment, I agree with you. There's no way people who are "sitting out" the war and waiting to buy anything are making that big of an impact.

Well eventually, 20 (or more) million dollar salaries for an actor for one movie, and other expenses will have to be looked at, as a possible reason why studios aren't making very much money.

For me, I've never downloaded illegal music, but I havent' bought a CD since 1999 or something and then it was a $10 special! Movies is the same way for me, I won't buy a $20 unless it is something really great and there just isn't that many. Anymore I rent to make sure it will be good, before I buy anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts