DVI/HDMI or component? plus picture issue

cbgamer13

Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Hello, I'm new to Dish Network (installed 1 week ago) and have the HD receiver 622. My TV is a 57 inch Hitachi Ultravision rear projection with component and DMI inputs. I recently switched from Comcast HD services. I had a few questions/issues I hoped my experienced people could help me with. Thanks for any help.

1) Should I connect using component cables or get an DVI/HDMI converter or cables? The picture looks good in HD, but does seem slightly softer or more blurry than the Comcast HD picture. I didnot know if this is because I use component and would be better to use my DVI unputs through an HDMI converter or something.

2) I have noticed on 2 nights out of my first week that the picture sometimes gets pixelated for a second or two, or even jumps forward by 1-2 seconds (no always but 5-6 times in an hour). On these days, there has been some cloud cover or light rain, but nothing I would consider major. Do I need to adjust my dish for better signal strength or is this normal? It was not all channels but I really noticed it on HD ESPN and HD Showtime.

Thanks again.

I also have a Hitachi 57in RPTV. I actually have two 622's connected to it (1 with HDMI/DVI and 1 with component. I cannot tell the difference. As far as your other question, that happens sometimes. One thing that you need to check is the signal levels since this is a new install. Go to Menu 6 1 1 and check the signal levels on several different transponders on each of the satellites you receive. Let us know what they say.

When signal strength momentarily drops below decryption level it will cause such pauses and pixellations. Call the installer back to re-peak the dish, especially on satellite 129.

My 129 was so irratic that I replaced it with a Dish 500 looking at 61.5

Well I also have a 57" RPTV that I have connected to a 622 using component for several months. I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable thinking it might improve my picture, but I thought my picture looked better using the component cable, so I switched back. It may be because my eyes were so used to watching the TV with the component cables.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have two 622's connected to one TV?

I have a 622, 942, and 721 hooked up to 1 TV.
Recording time and being able to record multiple shows at the same time is why. Hoping to switch the 721 to another 622 if I can win CSR roulette.

Last edited:
On my RCA television (look in my signature) DVI destroys Component picture quality, so noticeably that I would recommend that you go to www.monoprice.com and order the $8 HDMI to DVI cable and try it out. If it doesn't improve like you like it, at least you're only out 8 bucks and you have a new option to connect your television.

I found that my component connection was a little bit fuzzier and out of focus. The digital signal is much more crisp and I like it that way (but I am EXTREMELY picky sometimes).

It truly depends on your setup as to how much difference it will make, but it is worth the try!

Just out of curiosity, why do you have two 622's connected to one TV?

It doubles my recording time. I then have both 622's outputs sent to all the rest of the TVs in the house which allows for up to 4 different channels to be viewed on separate tvs and all DVR recordings from both boxes can be accessed via any TV in the house. The only thing that is kind of a pain is the wife yelling at me because she doesn't know which remote controls which channel. But we get over that.

I then have both 622's outputs sent to all the rest of the TVs in the house which allows for up to 4 different channels to be viewed on separate tvs

Do you use an RF Modulator to do this?

I use the built in modulator in the 622's. You can set channels for both outputs for each box (therfore having 4 different viewable channels on any TV connected to them).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)