DVI-I to HDMI Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I decided to join the "fun" and just bought a 921 and a Panasonic CT-34WX54 HDTV.

The TV has the new HDMI-HDCP input and the 921 has a DVI-I output.

Panasonic makes a DVI/HDMI cable but I cannot find out what kind of DVI connector it is (DVI-I, DVI-D, DVI-A). Panasonic can't even tell me. Panny part # TY-SCH03DH.

I did an internet search and found DVI cables and HDMI adaptors. Is there not a DVI-HDMI cable?

Don't even worry about getting the Panasonic version either. Without trying to start a cable debate, I submit the following company as a reasonable place to purchase good cables for low prices. Pacific Cable.com. Here is a link to their webpage that has HDMI-DVI cables. I use one to connect my 921 to my Panny. Good luck.

Neutron said:
Why would the 921 need a DVI-I connector when everything about it is digital??
It is? What about the component, S-Video, RCA, and RF outputs?

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it basically:
DVI-A plus DVI-D = DVI-I ? In other words, DVI-I or DVI-A is just a repackaging of the component outputs?

I know the other ports are analog I was talking about the sat signal.

Why would you need analog for a digital signal?

Yes DVI-I (integrated?) = DVI-D (digital) + DVI-A (analog)

If you were to plug a DVI to VGA adapter into a DVI-A or DVI-I port you should be able to connect it to a display that is equipped with a VGA input or (with the use of a VGA to RGB breakout cable) a set of RGB inputs. These inputs are fairly common on older front projection units that are capable of HD resolutions but were built before HD-component video ports became common.

Good question.

My top two guesses (and that is all they are) would be

1. DVI-I might not be supported by the chip set used on the 811.

2. The projectors that could benefit from the RGB signal are mostly high-end devices. E* has positioned the 811 as it's entry level HD receiver and the 921 as a high-end receiver. You could argue that the owner of a high-end projector would purchase the high-end receiver and thus include the feature on the 921 but not the 811.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Neutron said:
I know the other ports are analog I was talking about the sat signal.

Why would you need analog for a digital signal?
The two items have no relationship whatsoever.

Slap me upside the head if I'm wrong, but DVI is still a 3-color signal so-to-speak. It's NOT a MPEG data stream, and generally speaking, has nothing to do with the signal source - satellite or otherwise.

Oh - and just for reference, the satellite input is not strictly speaking a digital signal. It's digital data coming in on something like a 12GHz analog carrier wave which is downconverted by the LNBF to a 950 or 1550MHz carrier for transport to the receiver. It's the tuner there that demodulates the signal to extract the digital data.

Neutron said:
You need a DVI-D cable, not DVI-I

So you need a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

Where does one find a dvi-i cable? I asked bettercables for a dvi-i to hdmi and was told none exisited. I should use the dvd-d to hdmi.
What is the real consequence of using dvi - d versus dvi-?i

On a satellite receiver none. DVI-I combines DVI-D and DVI-A (analog). You can get by with a DVI-D.

I was mistaken thinking the 921 was DVI-D, it indeed is DVI-I.

Most HDTVs with the DVI port is DVI-D.

You will use a DVI-D to HDMI for the 921.

There are no consequences, since the 921 doesn't pass any analog info through the DVI port.

That's what I use and it looks great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)