DVI or Component on 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
The 811 instruction manual states that the DVI connection gives the best picture quality. However, I've noticed that the colors are much more vivid when the 811 is connected to the tv via component. Since the p269 upgrade, the DVI connection looks washed out or too bright. I'm curious whether others have noticed this issue.

I think your right about the colors being more vivid with compoent cables, and brighter
with the DVI, but it dosesn't appear washed out to me, but that just may be my eyes.
I keep going back and forth with the two cables and can't decide which seem better

JAL said:
The 811 instruction manual states that the DVI connection gives the best picture quality. However, I've noticed that the colors are much more vivid when the 811 is connected to the tv via component. Since the p269 upgrade, the DVI connection looks washed out or too bright. I'm curious whether others have noticed this issue.

Strangely enough you jsut picked analog over digital. Its all a matter of settings and what type of TV you have as to which looks better. even then its a matter of preference.

Stick with what you like most. After all, you're the one who is going to be watching the TV. Generally DVI is considered more accurate but who knows if for 811 component is more real. They might have some issues with DVI right now. Its just like Zenith DVB318 DVD player. Although it has both DVI and component, people buy it for component since it has known issues with DVI.

I have a Sony GWII connected to a 811 using a DVI. It is much brighter since the 269 but do not feel it is washed out. I have had to make some color adjustments in the service menu to get everything dialed back in. Seems I have to do this every time they do a software update.

Since the update the 811 is much much better.

Kevin_Texas said:
I have a Sony GWII connected to a 811 using a DVI. It is much brighter since the 269 but do not feel it is washed out. I have had to make some color adjustments in the service menu to get everything dialed back in. Seems I have to do this every time they do a software update.

Since the update the 811 is much much better.

Hmmm. I would be very interested in what adjustment you made Kevin since I also have a GWII hooked to DVI. Could you Private Message me what you did.

WeeJavaDude said:
Hmmm. I would be very interested in what adjustment you made Kevin since I also have a GWII hooked to DVI. Could you Private Message me what you did.

I am also a member of http://www.avsforum.com/. There is a forum on nothing but GWII settings. There is a PDF
document called UMR Tweaks that are just great. You use the system menu which has so many settings. I will PM you also but wanted to post a message here so other GWII owners would know about it.

I don't think I can attach the PDF document here

if u have a direct view (tube) tv componet is better then dvi due to one less digital to analog conversion. on all other kind of tvs as general rule dvi is better.

If your TV is a direct-view CRT or a RP/CRT, then component will be equal to or better than DVI for PQ from your 811. Otherwise DVI has superior PQ (particularly sharper picture). Color from DVI since 269 has definitely deteriorated. I've adjusted my Sammy DLP, but E* over-did whatever adjustment they made with 269. I can't get the color saturation I used to have with all previous revisions of the Dish 811 software and I go back to last December with my 811. However, I still use DVI as the component gives too soft a picture for me.

I've heard about service menu adjustments, but I've never tried to do it. In essence, is a "service menu" a hidden menu that is supposed to be available for techs, and not the end users? Even then, how would one know what adjustments to make in such a menu?

the above post of mine that links to AVS forum tells you abt the changes you should make to ur TV to see more 'real' picture on Sony GWIII TVs. He has good experience and repuation of AVS...

a_pac says:
if u have a direct view (tube) tv componet is better then dvi due to one less digital to analog conversion. on all other kind of tvs as general rule dvi is better.

Followed by Carl B with:
If your TV is a direct-view CRT or a RP/CRT, then component will be equal to or better than DVI for PQ from your 811. Otherwise DVI has superior PQ (particularly sharper picture). Color from DVI since 269 has definitely deteriorated. I've adjusted my Sammy DLP, but E* over-did whatever adjustment they made with 269. I can't get the color saturation I used to have with all previous revisions of the Dish 811 software and I go back to last December with my 811. However, I still use DVI as the component gives too soft a picture for me.

There is no hard and fast rule guys. Also, the statement that there are less A/D conversions with Component Video is untrue.

For Component Video, the signal gets a D/A conversion for transfer via Component Video. The set will do an A/D conversion so that all of the processing can kick in. This includes things like brightness, contrast and color controls. After all of the digital processing occurs, a D/A conversion is done for display by the tubes.

Contrast this with a DVI signal going into the same set.
Signal is digital, and transferred digitally to the set. Set does processing on input (as above). After processing, the set does a D/A conversion for display by the set.

So, regardless of whether you are watching a direct view / Rear Project CRT or a fixed panel display DVI has the potential of the best picture in every case.

The fact that many sets have excellent A/D these days explains why some prefer the look of component into these sets. Plus the image could be slightly softer, again dependent on the particulars of the set. Then again without calibrating the set for both component and DVI in, you aren't comparing like pictures :)

There's nothing wrong with the preference by the way, this is all tech talk :D

Cheers,

Yesterday, I called Dish to talk about the color saturation problem on DVI. I spoke to once again to an "advanced tech." She claims to have never heard of the problem, and that my TV or DVI cord must be the problem. I explained that others on this forum have mentioned the problem, and she should read about it. She told me there was nothing that could be done. Has anyone here spoken to Dish or know someone we can contact there about this issue?

Well, when I got home last night, I turned off the 811 so it would receive the P280 update. My impression is that the update somewhat adjusted the color saturation on the DVI connection, so it is better (but not quite there yet). Has anyone else noticed this?

I just got P280 last night. The picture quality is much better on DVI output. The color saturation seems very good.

O.k. I might sound really stupid asking this, but beleive it or not I am really stupid when it comes to all this audio video stuff! Anyway I looked at the link to those tweaks and I am confused, I bought my Sony KF-50XBR-800 last year and enjoy it very much but my ? is do those tweaks apply to my t.v. also? And also how come I can't find my t.v. on sony's website is it already outdated? and is the sony GWIII the new one to replace mine. So thanks to all who reply it's very helpful. :D
By the way since I have found this site I have learned alot thanks!!!!

skidog...I am not sure abt the answer..come over to avsforum and ask the same q to umr. he would know that...if u cannot then let me know and I shall ask him for u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)