DVI or Component?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
I just got HDTV from dish bought a 811 receiver on ebay pretty cheap and I am so far very amazed by the picture on my 42" plasma edtv. The picture seems to vibrant and colorful and lifelike. No pixelation at all from where I sit and even closeup the picture looks very good, the best picture I have ever seen in my life. I am using the component cables that came with and using 1080i and 16:9 ratio. I am wondering how DVI would be better than component and if it's worth it over component. Not sure how my picture could get better as it's amazing right now but what would dvi do to improve anything and should I get it?

PILMAN said:
I just got HDTV from dish bought a 811 receiver on ebay pretty cheap and I am so far very amazed by the picture on my 42" plasma edtv. The picture seems to vibrant and colorful and lifelike. No pixelation at all from where I sit and even closeup the picture looks very good, the best picture I have ever seen in my life. I am using the component cables that came with and using 1080i and 16:9 ratio. I am wondering how DVI would be better than component and if it's worth it over component. Not sure how my picture could get better as it's amazing right now but what would dvi do to improve anything and should I get it?
As I remember, some say that component is better for rear projection, and DVI is better for LCD/Plasma. I saw no difference on my RP between DVI and component.

No difference for me either.

I'm using DVI for my dvd player, so component for the 811 it is...

For CRT based displays it's generally a wash. However, in my experience the picture is dramatically better on fixed pixel displays via DVI than via component.

Cheers,

I tried the Monster HDMI as compared to the component. No difference on my Sony 55" LCD Rear Projection with the 811. I returned the cable and saved the $120!

PS8128 said:
I tried the Monster HDMI as compared to the component. No difference on my Sony 55" LCD Rear Projection with the 811. I returned the cable and saved the $120!
I almost hate to admit that I got mine from Sam's Club for $15.00. It was a Philips 6' cable. :smug

That's because the $15 one is just as good as the expesive ones. 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's there is no signal lost, it either gets there or it doesn't.

Biggest sham in the industry

Guess i'm going to sams club, is there any loss of color with a DVI? Everyones telling me that component and DVI are the best but component is analog and dvi is digital. I've heard some complaints of a dark picture and my plasma has a pretty dark picture with default settings, I have it on 80 contrast just to get somewhat bright but not in torch mode. Should I get DVI or should I stick with component?

stick with what you got, but if you want to try it go ahead. There really isn't a big deal (IMHO)

I have a direct view set & component vs. DVI is about the same. There is a difference in the brightness level between the 2, so you will have to adjust your picture settings to make them equal. I use the DVI because the brightness level is a closer match to my dvd player's. (component is darker).This way I do not have to change picture control settings between inputs. My suggestion is to get a DVI cable cheap ( I got mine off EBAY for 7$) & try it . Observations regarding which one is better are subjective anyways so I would let yourself be the judge. Worse case, you are out a few dollars.

IMHO the difference you will see between Component and DVI/HDMI will be in the "trueness" and crispness of the picture.
With component the digital signal has to be converted to analog,then back to digital, thus degrading the signal and increasing the noise in the picture.
While component is the best analog connection it will still be lacking compared to DVI/HDMI. DVI and/or HDMI is digital all the way to the output image.

regarding your pictures, the color saturation looks good, the contrast looks a tad faded, and the sharpness a bit soft.

My suggestion...
try a DVI cable, you should notice a difference. if not, no biggie, take the thing back.

HDMI-DVI Cable

I wanted to get an HDMI-DVI cable (921 DVI out/Sony HDMI in) but have found a big difference in price. Some say this is a sham and there is no difference in a low cost cable and high cost cable in performance.

Has anyone (other than cable sellers) compared high cost versus low cost cables on their own?

I'd like to find out more before I buy.
Thanks, Greg

Thanks. It was that post that really got me to question how much I should really spend on a new cable. It can range from $7.95 to $160.00 and that seems to be a very big difference. I'm going to look locally for high priced and low priced cables I can return and ask family and friends to see if there is a difference. Of course that doesn't look at long term durability but at $10 vs $100 I can buy more and still save money.

It's up to your eyes and your particular set. My 2 cents on 2 of my sets:

Sony LCD RPTV - component and DVI-HDMI look identical (stared at both for hours can't tell the difference - wife changes inputs and it's a 50/50 guess).

Samsung DynaFlat CRT - component and DVI look identical (same as above).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)