DVI or Component?

riggscm said:
IMHO the difference you will see between Component and DVI/HDMI will be in the "trueness" and crispness of the picture.
With component the digital signal has to be converted to analog,then back to digital, thus degrading the signal and increasing the noise in the picture.
While component is the best analog connection it will still be lacking compared to DVI/HDMI. DVI and/or HDMI is digital all the way to the output image.

regarding your pictures, the color saturation looks good, the contrast looks a tad faded, and the sharpness a bit soft.

My suggestion...
try a DVI cable, you should notice a difference. if not, no biggie, take the thing back.

Yeah the camera was zoomed in and I was in the dark, I'd have to have a really high quality camera to capture what I'm really seeing on the screen. It does look blurry via the camera but if you were here to see the actual picture on screen it'd be a lot better than what you see in the pictures. The pictures tend to blur things when there in motion and I'm not the best at holding a camera. I was thinking of going to sams to try a DVI to see if theres a difference. I really have no complains, my contrast is at about 63, it's a plasma so I don't want to wear out the life by jacking it up to 100 plus the black levels would look pretty bad then :). I used avia to tweak my set.

I bought the dvi and the picture seems darker, I don't notice any difference in quality except in certain dark scenes I don't see as many pixels that's about it, I like component more as it seems to have more color to the screen.

I called dish to ask if anyone else had the issue she says that I have a bad DVI. Lets put this for example, I have 60 contrast on my component and it's pretty bright and colorful, on the dvi at 60 it's very dark it almost looks like it's at 30. Is this normal for DVI? Or is it just the 811 receiver it's self?

PILMAN said:
I called dish to ask if anyone else had the issue she says that I have a bad DVI. Lets put this for example, I have 60 contrast on my component and it's pretty bright and colorful, on the dvi at 60 it's very dark it almost looks like it's at 30. Is this normal for DVI? Or is it just the 811 receiver it's self?
Well, I don't have plasma, but component and DVI on my 65" Sony are identical. I don't have to change any picture settings at all.

mdonnelly said:
Well, I don't have plasma, but component and DVI on my 65" Sony are identical. I don't have to change any picture settings at all.

I've been watching through dvi for 2 hours now and I changed back to component, strange now component seems too bright. DVI seems to be a little bit clearer but with plants and stuff it doesn't seem to display the bright green colors on plants, there more a dull green compared to component which makes them tropical bright green.

Been doing some switching around, yeah for sure the component seems brighter, the DVI just seems too dull similar to dvd quality, it doesn't have the natural looking colors whereas component it looks very real. I'm kind of disapointed, is it possible I have a bad cable?

PILMAN,
Since you have an ED plasma, you're looking at a screen resolution of approximately 852h x 480v. High Definition is 1280h x 720v or 1920h x 1080v, so DVI is not going to make any difference in the "sharpness" or "crispness" of the image vs. the component connection unless your component cables are crap. I'd make the decision based on your observations and what sources you need to feed into your plasma.

As for the darker video level with DVI, that may be the actual video level you should be seeing. I noticed that the video level of my set was too high before I "calibrated" it using the Avia DVD. It depends on your viewing area, too.

Bottom Line: You like the component picture more, and like BFG said, there you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)