DVI Output and Componet outputs DVR921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I hooked up the DVI output on my DVR921 and wanted to compare the video to the HD component outputs. I foound out though that when yoou connect the DVI outpiut this disables the HD component outputs. I don't remember reading this in the manual. Not that it realy makes a difference but it would have been nice just to compare the 2.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

You have the opposite problem that I do. My 811 says it disables the the composite connectors when the DVI cable is connected; says it right in the book. But, I can flip back and forth between the DVI and composite; both work are working.

Note that the 921 has a "safe mode" where HD will be in 480p and SD in 480i, both active.

It is NOT recommend for use other than testing.

SimpleSimon, I would like to follow up on your last.
I have a 921 that works great on Component and was unable to get the DVI-HDMI connection to work. After troubleshooting the connections, I was able to get the connection to work-but only in the 480P setting. I called Dish support and their reply was that they do not support DVI-HDMI. They said that I should contact TV or cable company. Seems like passing the buck. Can anyone provide
any recommendations?

bigtimber said:
SimpleSimon, I would like to follow up on your last.
I have a 921 that works great on Component and was unable to get the DVI-HDMI connection to work. After troubleshooting the connections, I was able to get the connection to work-but only in the 480P setting. I called Dish support and their reply was that they do not support DVI-HDMI. They said that I should contact TV or cable company. Seems like passing the buck. Can anyone provide
any recommendations?

First, did you disconnect the component cables from the 921 and TV? The DVI output is disabled on the 921 when component cables are connected.

Second, how are you converting the DVI to HDMI? Ensure you are using a DVI-D connector. If you are using a DVI-Analog you aren't getting the digital signal out of the 921's DVI-I connector.

If what Dish is telling you were true, every one here would be having troubles with the 921 and DVI. HDMI is nothing special. It is just a digital video and audio combined interconnect. You can get DVI-D out of HDMI, and you can get HDMI without the audio component from DVI-D.

gpflepsen said:
The DVI output is disabled on the 921 when component cables are connected.

I think it is the otherway: plugging in a DVI disables component. There would be no easy way to detect anything on the component cable, just wire. I guess this will ensure that DVI copy-protected signals do not get to the components lines. But why worry when it's the digital signal that is the "problem"? The chip may not do both at the same time for lack of drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)