Not open for further replies.

yanks2402

Enjoying FiOS TV
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hello,

I have a older (yea real old, 3 years :rolleyes: ) Mitsu, and it does not have a DVI port on the back. I was looking into one of the Samsung DVD players that upresses the DVD signal to HD.

The only drawback is that feature only works when you choose to do DVI out. So I did a little searching and found the following device:

http://www.trianglecables.com/dvi-hdtv200.html

The product is made a connections btw a computer & TV, but will it work for my purposes?

Any ideas? I have seen a DVI-VGA adaptor as well, could that work just a well?

Thanks for your help!

I don't think this will work. This adapter is for DVI-I interface (a DVI flavor that has VGA analog signal as well). I am not positive, but I would think the players you are looking at have DVI-D interface, which is digital-only.

Ilya's right. I bet the DVD player's DVI output won't even allow the DVI-I to be plugged into it.

There are a couple of upconverting players that will do it via Component. Go to AVSForum's DVD Players forum and search. I would snatch one up while they are available, Hollywood will probably put an end to these soon.

From what I have heard-NOT SEEN, because I too do not have DVI inputs on my tv, you are not missing much with the upconverting DVD players. It seems that DVI works best with fixed pixel displays like DLP and Plamsa.
People report very little if any improvement using CRT based displays.

Save your money and wait till the HD DVD players eventually hit the market.

I am going to have to disagree with Kevinw. I have the Zenith HD up-converting player which up-converts (720p OR 1080i) on BOTH component and DVI. It is the best all-around-player with BOTH outputs up-converting. I have it connected to a Sony CRT 34" wideceen HDTV. I have tried both component and DVI, and DVI offers a somewhat better picture. (running original firmware) The picture on either input looks just about as good as an HD broadcast on cable or satellite. This player makes a BIG difference in PQ, and it offers great features and a low price. I did alot of research before buying and I'm really glad I got this player! The picture is 5x better then progressive scan.

Mini1,
I am not going to disagree with you but I do have a couple of questions. What was your DVD player previous to the Zenith? Have you tried the Zenith on any RP TV's?
I guess what I am asking is the Zenith just better than what you had, as it is a DVD player with Faroudja processing? Is the improvement noticable on screens larger than 34 inches?

Read this about issues:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=400480
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...yer&manufacturer=53&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

Of you have a 4:3 CRT RPTV set, that only offers a native widescreen mode on 1080i, the Zenith DVB-318 is the ticket. But only with March2004 builds and before. HDCP actually is implemented on sebsequent builds on this player.

Yanks2402,

While there are DVI to component or VGA convertors they are useless for HDTV applications because that version of DVI incorporates HDCP. There are a number of HD displays with DVI that will not work either because they do not have the HDCP interface.

As for upscaling DVD players the advantage is covered here...
http://www.hdlibrary.com/viewtopic.php?t=363

"I am not going to disagree with you but I do have a couple of questions. What was your DVD player previous to the Zenith?" I had an earlier version Sony progressive scan (I got it right after progressive scan entered the market, and paid way too much for it)
"Have you tried the Zenith on any RP TV's?"
I have not, because I don't have one to try it on. but others on the AVS forum have.
"I guess what I am asking is the Zenith just better than what you had, as it is a DVD player with Faroudja processing?" The processor is great, the player is better in almost ways-plus it gives me 1080i for my CRT.
"Is the improvement noticable on screens larger than 34 inches?" Yes, it should be.

The larger the screen the MORE notice-able the improvement is in my opinion.

While there is an improvement, great 480p performance is way way good in and of itself.

I was curious, In Mini1's case the Faroudja processing was a great improvement over the old Sony. I am wondering if I will see an improvement in PQ vs Panasonic RP62 with Faorudja processing because of the upconverting would it be noticable?
I can't imagine a better picture than what I have now. The DVD's often equal some HD programming and better than others. Of course much of this has to do with filmaker choices in regards to the HD production values.

it does depend on the film-some look much better then others on the Zenith- Men In Black 1 and 2 come to mind as two of the best films for the Zenith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)