DVI to SVGA Connection

TDI Kevin

Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Just got the Dish 811 HDTV reciever with a DVI output and don't know how to connect it to my old RCA MM36110 HD ready TV which has a 15 pin SVGA connector for it's 1080i HD input.
I'm totally lost, can anybody help?

The DVI connector on the 811 is DVI-D (Digital Only), it will not convert to the analog 15 pin SVGA connection that you have.

You'll have to use the Component ouputs of the 811.

FYI: the 921's DVI connector is DVI-I which does have the analog pins which allow it to be converted to a SVGA connector.

Sorry to break the bad news.

Thanks

Bummer.

Thanks for your response.

For All the Consumers Out There:
This RCA MM36110 TV was (is) marketed as a "HDTV Ready", 1080i compatible unit. RCA sells a companion HDTV receiver that supposedly provides a 1080i signal through an SVAG connector on the TV. When I purchased this unit about 2 years ago most people hadn't ever heard of a DVI connector.
If this signal is simple analog VGA, then it would seem RCA is perpetrating outright fraud in their marketing of this product.

I've been burned!

TDI Kevin said:
Just got the Dish 811 HDTV reciever with a DVI output and don't know how to connect it to my old RCA MM36110 HD ready TV which has a 15 pin SVGA connector for it's 1080i HD input.
I'm totally lost, can anybody help?
There are a lot of adapters available. Probably what you need is component-to-VGA (the 811 has component as well as DVI). Try this:
Ram Electronics

More on my adventure

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

On closer inspection of my 811, there are no analog pins on the unit's connector, it has a DVI-D connecter which I have learned means digital signals only. This rules out any low cost/simple adaptors. (S)VGA is normally analog only and the cheap adaptors simply route the analog pins available on DVI-A and DVI-I connectors to the appropriate pins on the (S)VGA connector.

There are some product on the market that can convert the pure digital from the DVI-D connector to an analog signal on a (S)VGA connector. These run around $300 or more. The problem is it is still an analog signal going into the supposedly HDTV.

I've learned that this TV was designed in 1999 and at that time there was no DVI connector technology available. The owner's manual shows the companion external HDTV converter connecting to the TV at this "special" (S)VGA connector. The question is can this "special" connector receive real, digital, HDTV signals?

A person at a local RCA service center said he would check in to it. If I don't hear from him in a couple of days I'll try to get a schematic from them and see if I can figure what is going on myself.

RCA claims this is a 1080i compatible unit, surely there are others that own this set who want answers like me.

Let me repeat myself:
mdonnelly said:
There are a lot of adapters available. Probably what you need is component-to-VGA (the 811 has component as well as DVI). Try this:
Ram Electronics
The 811 component outputs (YPrPb) are also high definition outputs. There are adapters that have component connectors on one side, and VGA on the other side. That should give you high definition into your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)