DVI vs HDMI

TRSmudge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Rhinelander, Wi
I have the 811 waiting for my 211 to arrive.

I have a very good DVI monster cable for the 811 to my HDTV.

I noticed a $29 monster HDMI to DVI adapter, but have heard rumors about the weight of the adapter plus the DVI end plugging into the small HDMI input on the 211. Anyone have any confirmation either way?

Thanks,
TRSmudge

1) Bought a very good DVI
2) Don't want to trash the $$$ spent on DVI
3) TV doesn't take HDMI

Thanks for the links though......
TRSmudge

TRSmudge - I was in the same boat as you last Saturday when I went out and bought my 211. Of course, I wanted to hook it up right away so I didn't want to wait on new cables being shipped. And I had an overpriced Monster DVI cable.

I bought the $29 adaptor you mentioned. It seems fine because the HDMI input on the back of the 211 is very low so the adaptor basically sits on the surface that the receiver is sitting on. So, the weight of the cable+adaptor does not cause the HDMI input to pull or bend. I was careful to put the receiver in place before plugging in the adaptor. Hope this helps...

I am likely going to order new cables for when my 622 comes in. I'll buy a 'real' HDMI to DVI cable and try to sell the one I have on eBay or something.

I don't usually get sucked into overpriced goods - but I do have a hard time passing on Monster products. They just seem to be better made. I guess their marketing department is doing a good job on me. ;-)

Monster products are not better made. They are fine cables, but they are WAY overpriced. If you are paying for Monster you are wasting your money - Just my opinion.

I got my HDMI cable from monoprice.com last Saturday and I see a better picture on my TV set than using the component cables. The sound on my TV is awesome compared to the regular composite cables. I didn't know my TV could output that type of sound. I have it set in "Surround Mode" and since the HDMI cable has the digital output, the sound is outstanding.

You can purchase a good dvi to hdmi-f adaptor for a DVI to DVI cable at TWEETERS. The price is around $24. If you paid close $60 to $100 for your DVI cable and do not want to toss it this might be a way to go.

I agree. Too me they are way-overpriced stuff the depends on marketing by the sales people and other advertising. I recently got a pair of DVI cables and found them at the same place others got them at, Monoprice.

I got annoyed when Chicken Shack started carring Mon$ter stuff. I went there the other day to get a simple cable that used to $2.99, but found out it was no longer available and it was replaced by a $39 Mon$ter version.

lakebum431 said:
Monster products are not better made. They are fine cables, but they are WAY overpriced. If you are paying for Monster you are wasting your money - Just my opinion.

What kills me is the sales people that take advantage of those that don't know any better and talk them into getting the Monster Crap.

Thanks for all the info. I too am one who needs to try the "off" brand stuff and give it a chance. I guess I have used Monster ever since it was really the only choice. Hard to change an old habit.

Thanks,
TRSmudge

My TV has DVI and Component in. I am getting a 622 in 3 weeks, and want the best possible pictuer. Couple of questions:

1) Am I better off with Component, or with HDMI to DVI coversion?

2) If I go with the HDMI to DVI, I should get a HDMI MALE to DVI Female, correct?

Thanks!

Monprice also sells the HDMI>DVI adapters, but they are around $1 cheaper than 6' cables when I looked. Might as well go with the new cable.

When going from a TV with DVI to a DVD/HDTV receiver with HDMI, you will need an adapter with a female DVI and male HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts