DVR 2nd TV output to multiple TV's - HELP PLZ!

hermio

Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Missouri
I have 2 DVR's and therefore can only connect up to 4 TV's. (Bedroom, Office, 2nd Office, and Media Room)
I would like to have one more TV operational in a Family Room. I have tried a splitter but the signal is so degraded on the TV's I try to connect it to.
Example - Bedroom has a DVR and 2nd tuner is going to the Office. If I put a splitter inline and reconnect the Office and then the Family Room, both are severely degraded.

How can I setup the Office TV that is backfed through COAX to multiple TV's? (Office and Family Room asin the example above)

Thanks to the Guru's

It would probably pay dividends to NOT backfeed the TV2 signals and instead run dedicated cabling.

You can also bridge the systems together but at that point, you'll probably need to think about a distribution amp.

It is also imperative that you not use crappy cable and fittings and you probably shouldn't try to include an CATV signals in the distribution system. Problems are additive in such a system.

All cables/hookups are in my basement. Currently if I want a decent picture on any other TV I have to swap the connections at the (Diplexer/Splitter/Combiner) Whatever Dish network uses to split the satellite coax and the TV2 signals.

I would like something to prevent me from having to swap the connections and feed (the TV2 signal) to more than one TV.

Ultimate solution would allow me to connect both DVR's TV2 signal (combine channel 30 with channel 60 for example) then be able to send both channels to multiple TV's without degredation. (or at least no snow shadows)

Not an elegant solution, but if you have an old vcr sitting around, Connect the composite outs from TV@ to the vcr and then run coax from the vcr to the 3rd tv. I did that set up and I have the coax from the vcr split to 3 tv's.

kinda trying not t have to run additonal wiring etc. Just simply want to connect additonal TV's to the same signal that the receiver puts out to the 2nd tv without losing signal quality.
I just don't understand why I can't figure it out.
I looked at distribution amplifier but I want RF in and RF out not composite etc.

Ideal setup would be 2 RF's in (1 from each DVR as I have 2, outputting to different channels) and multiple RF outputs. If I can't do that or it is too expensive then 1RF in and multiple outputs.

anyone have recommended pieces of equipment that would work in either scenario?

Have other questions first: Is the dvr in your bedroom HD? Do you have Extenders in the house (xbox 360)? Does your office have a desktop computer with Vista or Win 7? Is the TV in your office HD capable? If so I would suggest relocating the DVR to your office, run splitter from tv2 out to backfeed upstairs tv and a tv tuner on your desktop computer. Set up an extender at living room tv and broacast from desktop media server to extender. Now you have tv everywhere and if you download and install Orb on your desktop, can watch tv on your laptop in the kitchen too. Here is the kicker, where is your internet gateway located? Is it in the office and on an independent feed? Wrote this post on the quick so feel free to ask questions.

Almost forgot. I am using RG-6 cabling with Heavy Duty Crimp connectors. Not Wal-Mart junk... :amen:

Compression fittings would be better, and high quality ones rated for higher frequencies. However, I don't think that's your problem.

Have other questions first: Is the dvr in your bedroom HD? Do you have Extenders in the house (xbox 360)? Does your office have a desktop computer with Vista or Win 7? Is the TV in your office HD capable? If so I would suggest relocating the DVR to your office, run splitter from tv2 out to backfeed upstairs tv and a tv tuner on your desktop computer. Set up an extender at living room tv and broacast from desktop media server to extender. Now you have tv everywhere and if you download and install Orb on your desktop, can watch tv on your laptop in the kitchen too. Here is the kicker, where is your internet gateway located? Is it in the office and on an independent feed? Wrote this post on the quick so feel free to ask questions.

DVR's are HD, - No Extenders in the home, Office has a Windows 7 computer but not connected to the coax, TV in the office is HD capable as well as Cable,

think I answered everything but the solution provided would require purchasing a TV Tuner card, An Extender.

my first guess is bad splitter, cable or fittings as 1 splitter should have very very minimal effect on the signals feeding the two tv2s either that or your cable run has multiple barrels in it further degarding the signal. two to 4 quality splitters should be able to be used before you start seeing problems.

Yes Hermio that is pretty much it for a wireless solution. For wired, trace both outlets back to LNBF that are feeding receivers. I am guessing that both sat feeds are coming into the basement and home ran where your additional outlets are running from. Behind both of your hd dvrs are triplexers. So in the basement all you have to do is run two dpd2 Holland satellite diplexors from the sat feed, dish side goes into satelite, dvr feed goes to in/out leg. Run a jumper (cable) from uhf/vhf leg to a splitter feeding your tv 2's. These aren't trade secrets, there aren't any satellite unions (that I am aware of) and most customers would prefer to pay a tech to come out. Think is cool if a guy is just trying to learn something and do it himself. Let me know if my suggestions helped. Also, a line toner will help you out big time.

* Things you will need for wireless: Wireless Extender, High Definition (H.264) HDMI PC/TV tuner adaptor, HDMI Splitter (only one HDMI out on 722), Dual Band Wireless N Router for high definition Streaming. Optional: Orb Direct Stream (Free) or Sling Adapter from Dish ($99). Orb is great if you just want to stream video directly on your LAN but recomend Sling if you want to watch your media from anywhere else in the world......reason is network security.*

Last edited:
Yes Hermio that is pretty much it for a wireless solution. For wired, trace both outlets back to LNBF that are feeding receivers. I am guessing that both sat feeds are coming into the basement and home ran where your additional outlets are running from. Behind both of your hd dvrs are triplexers. So in the basement all you have to do is run two dpd2 Holland satellite diplexors from the sat feed, dish side goes into satelite, dvr feed goes to in/out leg. Run a jumper (cable) from uhf/vhf leg to a splitter feeding your tv 2's. These aren't trade secrets, there aren't any satellite unions (that I am aware of) and most customers would prefer to pay a tech to come out. Think is cool if a guy is just trying to learn something and do it himself. Let me know if my suggestions helped. Also, a line toner will help you out big time.

* Things you will need for wireless: Wireless Extender, High Definition (H.264) HDMI PC/TV tuner adaptor, HDMI Splitter (only one HDMI out on 722), Dual Band Wireless N Router for high definition Streaming. Optional: Orb Direct Stream (Free) or Sling Adapter from Dish ($99). Orb is great if you just want to stream video directly on your LAN but recomend Sling if you want to watch your media from anywhere else in the world......reason is network security.*

Your initial paragraph is correct. In the basement I have what looks like splitters (diplexers and combiners I believe) the 2 SAT inputs from the LNB's then to what looks like a splitter that shows SAT on one side being the input from the previous combiner, the receiver on another and the third goes to TV 2.
Behind the receiver another set of combiner in reverse, (the single coax goes on one input then the SAT leg signal splits to another splitter SAT1 and SAT2) and the third leg on the combiner goes to the TV2 RF connection.

Hope this makes sense as I am pretty tired at the moment. going to get some shut eye.

Thx

Yes that makes sense, is a standard 2 dvr 4 room setup. Assuming that both DVR's are in the same locations since the original install, getting a tv 2 signal to your living room tv should be simple. You put a two way splitter on the UHF/TV2 side of a diplexer in basement to feed your living room tv. So now, your master bedroom DVR is feeding both the office and living room but now both tv's get a snowy pic?

Are you sure you split off the correct DVR and that both the office tv and living room tv are tuned to the correct channel?

Yes that makes sense, is a standard 2 dvr 4 room setup. Assuming that both DVR's are in the same locations since the original install, getting a tv 2 signal to your living room tv should be simple. You put a two way splitter on the UHF/TV2 side of a diplexer in basement to feed your living room tv. So now, your master bedroom DVR is feeding both the office and living room but now both tv's get a snowy pic?

Are you sure you split off the correct DVR and that both the office tv and living room tv are tuned to the correct channel?

both the office TV and the Living room are tuned to the same exact channel. and when I put the splitter in. both TV's get snowy. I have purchased 3 different splitters and all have the same result.

I had similar problem, it turn out being the cable and splitter. I replace the spliter with a digital spliter, I also replace the connector with digital, it work work one day then bad picture, it turn out to be cable from the unit to the spliter. Also try a differnent channel, example channel 21 will not work, but 22 is okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)