dvr 510 downloading

joewho

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
chicago
How do you download saved recordings from the dvr 510?

Right now I have s-video cord plugged into video card. I don't know if the s-video plug is for sending data to a tv or recieve from a tv. But for now, I'd like to know the standard procedure.

I don't see any interface to anything, how can I access that?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks. i know I need a capture card, so far the only thing I've found is a tv wonder pro to go with the radeon 8500.

Are there some widely accepted cards available.? Is there anyway to download from dvr HD and faster that 1:1?

webbydude said:
Not from any information on this forum. Pretty much venturing into sat-hack territory. A big no-no here; sorry.

Just to help clear something in my mind, is this really sat-hack territory? I always thought hacking satellite equipment involved modifying the hardware and/or software to perform differently that intended (i.e. removing a DVR's hard drive, unencrypting the data to make a digital copy of a recording, things like that). Here, it just sounds like joewho needs help getting started with an analog capture card, which wouldn't involve modifying the actual satellite hardware and/or software to perform differently that intended.

If I'm correct, then there are several options available for capturing the analog output from a DVR onto a computer that are all above board (as long as you use what you capture in a lawful manner).

Hey griz fan, I'm with you. I thought transfering (for home use) DVR-saved programs via the receiver's A/V out to a VCR, DVD recorder, or a PC A/V capture card can all be done without the FBI knocking at one's door.

My perhaps mistaken understanding is that crossing the line into a life of crime is when someone starts downloading the programs from the DVR hard drive at a ratio faster than 1:1 with some sort of hack.

joewho said:
Thanks. i know I need a capture card, so far the only thing I've found is a tv wonder pro to go with the radeon 8500.
Are there some widely accepted cards available.? Is there anyway to download from dvr HD and faster that 1:1?
webbydude said:
Not from any information on this forum. Pretty much venturing into sat-hack territory. A big no-no here; sorry.
I think webbydude was chastising the download-to-computer part. I think recording onto a VCR or DVD burner is not hacking. Recording 1:1 onto a computer is very similar to the same on a VCR or DVD burner, but on a computer, you can share over the internet. This comes close to or is hacking, but as long as you just use the computer to burn DVDs, I don't see a problem. Who's to know, anyway, what you'll be doing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts