DVR 522 Hard Drive Crashed: Repair?

BadDVR522

Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
BadDVR522 here...

My 6 month old 522 has about 50 hours of recorded programs on it.
User Guide say it can go to 100.

In March, it suddendly experienced 'file corruption' problems on SOME recently recorded events, but NOT all events.

DISH customer service wanted to send me a new 522, but my 522 still recorded and played back, so I declined, hoping to find possible repairs.

Well, today, April 15th, it happened.

There is no signal, sounds like a fan is running, it won't shut off by remote or the power button and only the TV1 light is on.

DISH customer service wants to send me a new 522 and adjust my bill for the lost PPV events, but I just don't think thats good enough!

I really VALUED those 50 hours of programs! It was comforting to know they were there. Some were PPV and some were one time only events, probably never to be shown again!

Yes, I could have copied them to DVD or tape, but what is the point of having a 100 hour hard drive?

I am very distressed! Maybe class-action distressed! Maybe even punitive damages distressed!

ANYWAY, IS THERE A WAY TO REPAIR THE HARD DRIVE ON A 522?

Any HELPFUL comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick answer. Sorry - NO

But on the other hand -

There are drive recovery services what will reconstruct the hard drive data that start at $1000.00 and up. That would be your only option if you OWNED the DVR. If you are leasing it, face reality, your programs are gone.

You had a month before it completely died, you should have put all of your stuff on DVD or at least an old vcr. I'd ditch Dish and go with Directivo if I was you. My Dad's had Tivo for 5 years and has never lost anything, including timers.

kbohip said:
You had a month before it completely died, you should have put all of your stuff on DVD or at least an old vcr. I'd ditch Dish and go with Directivo if I was you. My Dad's had Tivo for 5 years and has never lost anything, including timers.
It doesn't matter whether it's a E* DVR, a TiVo, or a PC.

Hard drives fail. I agree - you had fair warning - more than fair.

I'm no E* lover (just read my posts), but in this case, it's not their fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts