DVR 522 installation problem with legacy equipment

agupta

Original poster
May 24, 2005
HI,
I had dish netwrok for last 4 years with PVR501, dish 500 and dish 300. One wire from dish 500 and one wire from dish 300 goes to SW21 and the output went to PVR501.

Now, I want to install DVR522. I installed another SW21 from the other two wires, each coming from dish 500 and dish 300 and the output of each SW21 going to the two satellite inputs of DVR522.
HOwever, when I run check switch, the DVR does not recognize all the satellite inputs. I know that both the switches and connections are fine because i have tried each of them on my old receiver and that one recognizes all three satellites (119, 100 and 148). BUt, DVR522 switch check only recognizes 119.
If I connect the DIsh 500 output directly to satellite in of DVR 522, it successfully recognizes 119 and 110.

Are legacy dish and switches not compatible with DVR522? Please help.

Thanks.

The 522 will work fine with legacy lnbs and switches. Do either of your switch matrices come out correctly? Have you downloaded the receiver yet? You might consider downloading the reciever without the 21 switch integrated. Once the box has new software you can hook the switch back up and see if your switch test comes out right.

HI,
Thanks for the help. After downloading the software, check switch successfully identified all three sateliites.

Before I get the receiver activated, I have another question. In the "Point Dish" window, when I check the signal strengths, it is not identifying all the signals properly. I think it identies only 119, but not the other two. Does it matter?

Sounds like you have a bad receiver to me, or you have a hook-up problem. You say you can take either lead comming out of the SW21's and your old receiver will read all three sats.

it should be fine, the switch problem was just that you were trying to do it before the download..
i would go ahead and activate it... i know on a lot of the dual tuner boxes, the signal screen acts funny, it wont lock sometimes, if you switch between satellites too quickly, it gets confused, ect...
i install several of them a day that always act like that, but i haven't had but maybe one or two bad receivers yet

As long as the Check Switch is coming out ok, you should be fine. Factory Software on the dual tuners can do some really screwy stuff, especailly with switches and seperators.

agupta said:
HI,
I had dish netwrok for last 4 years with PVR501, dish 500 and dish 300. One wire from dish 500 and one wire from dish 300 goes to SW21 and the output went to PVR501.

Now, I want to install DVR522. I installed another SW21 from the other two wires, each coming from dish 500 and dish 300 and the output of each SW21 going to the two satellite inputs of DVR522.
HOwever, when I run check switch, the DVR does not recognize all the satellite inputs. I know that both the switches and connections are fine because i have tried each of them on my old receiver and that one recognizes all three satellites (119, 100 and 148). BUt, DVR522 switch check only recognizes 119.
If I connect the DIsh 500 output directly to satellite in of DVR 522, it successfully recognizes 119 and 110.

Are legacy dish and switches not compatible with DVR522? Please help.

Thanks.

Are you using a second SW21 to double the outputs from the the SAME cable you already are using? If so then it will NEVER EVER EVER WORK. Legacy LNBF's and Switches will not function this way. All satellite Tuners connected to Legacy LNBF's and or switches require a seperate UNIQUE Feed to function.

If you want to connect the second tuner you need to run another cable from the Dish500's other output (assuming it has one) to the second SW21 with a second cable from the other output of the LNBF on the DISH 300 (Assuming you have one available). You will then have 2 seperate cables to connect to each of TWO Tuner inputs on the back of the 522.

If you want to use a single cable installation to the 522 from your Dish's then you will have to replace the LNBFs on the Dish 500 and Dish 300 to Dish PRO LNBF's as well as the SW21's with a Dish Pro PLUS 44 switch. This is going to be expensive. The Switch alone is $190 bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts