DVR 522 Recording Question

agracer

Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I searched through the board but did not see this question answered.

How do I set a "timed event" to record something and then watch something else when that event is recording?

One Friday night I set up a 'timed event' to record an F1 Race on a Saturday morning. After breakfast on Saturday, my kids wanted to watch something else at the same time, but the DVR would not let me change channels with out canceling the recording of the F1 race. It was ~30-minutes into the event.

I've read the 'single mode' pages posted at the top but they do not address this issue. The purpose of a 'timed event' is to set the system up to record something in case you're not home, or you know you won't be able to watch at that time and you don't want to forget. Using a different TV is not an option b/c there is only one (yes, last house in America with only one TV). :D

I've tried to do this in both single and dual mode but each time it tells me that I have to stop the 'timed event' in order to switch channels. However, I remember that on time I was watching a show when a 'timed event' started on another channel and I got some quick message that the receiver was in 'dual mode' each time I switched channels. But I've not been able to repeat this. The event recorded with no problems and I watched it later.

Also, doesn't the system reboot every time I turn it off? Or do I need to hold the power button for 6-seconds and reboot the system manually?

One last thing, does anyone else have strange problems with getting pops or pauses in DVR Events? I've had no problems but the last two shows I've recorded had a bunch of pops and pauses at the beginning. It only happened a few times right near the start and that was it. The rest of the show was fine.

Thanks

agracer said:
Also, doesn't the system reboot every time I turn it off? Or do I need to hold the power button for 6-seconds and reboot the system manually?
No. If you simply hit the power button on the remote, it just goes into a "sleep" type mode. It -should- reboot at night if you have the automatic updates still turned on, otherwise, you need to do the frontpanel reboot to get it to fully reboot itselt. It takes anywhere from 1minute to 5 minutes to complete its reboot cycle.

agracer said:
One last thing, does anyone else have strange problems with getting pops or pauses in DVR Events? I've had no problems but the last two shows I've recorded had a bunch of pops and pauses at the beginning. It only happened a few times right near the start and that was it. The rest of the show was fine.
Yes. This seems to be one of the problems with the 522. Now that I'm about to get my 5th, every single one of the previous 4 have had some variance of this problem. Some worse than others. I guess thats what you get with a mini computer running your TV shows.

Don't you post on TexAgs?

agracer said:
How do I set a "timed event" to record something and then watch something else when that event is recording?

I've read the 'single mode' pages posted at the top but they do not address this issue. The purpose of a 'timed event' is to set the system up to record something in case you're not home, or you know you won't be able to watch at that time and you don't want to forget. Using a different TV is not an option b/c there is only one (yes, last house in America with only one TV). :D

I've tried to do this in both single and dual mode ...
Since you're only on one TV, you really should just use single mode, and it will do exactly what you're asking, if you use the right button. (not trying to be insulting, sorry if it sounds like it--it's just the right button really is not intuitive). Once you have verified you're in single mode, you can use the SWAP button to swap tuners. It's a great function of the 522's single mode.

But this function of course has some bugs itself, at least on mine. Sometimes when swapping, the screen will just go black except for the channel banner showing what's on the "newly swapped to" tuner. BUT the sound stays on from the previous tuner. The ugly fix I've determined is to change channels once or twice on one or both tuners until the problem goes away.

Also, if both tuners are on the same channel, the swap button won't seem to do much. But it is, trust me. :) I believe even both tuners are always called "TV 1" (as seen in the channel banner). I hope I haven't confused (or insulted) you here. :)

ericag02 said:
Don't you post on TexAgs?

Yes, small world!

TuxCoder said:
you can use the SWAP button to swap tuners

So, when I turn on the system when it's recording a timed event I hit the "swap" button so I can switch tuners and change channels to something else, right? And no, you certainly didn't insult me. If I knew about that button I wouldn't have asked this question.

Thanks

Along with hitting 'swap' to change tuners, you can hit 'PIP' to see what's on the other tuner - it's 'picture-in-picture.' It's a really handy feature. 'Position' moves the PIP box around the screen when you have it on. All three buttons are next to each other... try it out!

Oh I've used the PIP. It just did not click with me that the 2nd tuner was doing the PIP and I could "swap" to change from a timed event recording to a different channel on the 2nd tuner. Now that I've got the info. it makes perfect sence.

Thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts