DVR 522 USB Port Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

B Bent

Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
My 522 was sold to me as having a USB port that you could use to tranfer recorded media to your PC and then do whatever you want to with it from there. I have tried hooking a USB port to my PC but nothing happens. There is hardly any documentation regarding the USB capabilities for the 522. Any of you guys and gals got any suggestions?

B Bent said:
My 522 was sold to me as having a USB port that you could use to tranfer recorded media to your PC and then do whatever you want to with it from there. I have tried hooking a USB port to my PC but nothing happens. There is hardly any documentation regarding the USB capabilities for the 522. Any of you guys and gals got any suggestions?

Sorry, you got lied to, the USB port is supposed to be eventually activated when the Archos PocketDish is released, but at this time it is just a hole in the reciever case.

I believe the USB port may have some diagnostic use to DISH, but not to consumers. This is my speculation based on what I was told by DISH a while back. They wanted to borrow my 522 to download some logging/error data. Before coming out to my house, they mentioned that they might take the thing and leave a replacement, or they might download what they needed to a USB drive. Hmmm ... caught my interest. I offered to download to my USB flashdrive and then email data or burn a CD with the info for them (to save a trip) but was then told you need a special USB drive.

Take that FWIW. It may be erroneous, I may have misunderstood,, or there may be something to it. It could be similar to the phone connection to the 522. You can dial the phone number your 522 is connected to all day and it won't answer. UNLESS the incoming call is coming from DISH. I believe they use caller id to determine this. They might be using some similar technique with a custom USB driver that only recognizes "friendly" USB devices.

All this is just speculation on my part, based on their brief mention of USB in our phone conversation.

They're claiming the PocketDish will be released this summer:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=42408&highlight=PocketDish

I think a great use for the USB would be to connect several DVR's together so they can share hard drives and content . For a family like mine (4 people) , I could have my 3 522's act as 1 DVR but with 6 receivers and triple the storage which could be accessed easily from any of the TV's my the house . Everyone could have their own list of recorded shows. It would be like having a Mega Media Center .

It would be GREAT if we could use the usb port to add external hard drives. If they would do this it would make the possible disk storage space unlimited !

Joe

Joe Searfoss said:
It would be GREAT if we could use the usb port to add external hard drives. If they would do this it would make the possible disk storage space unlimited !

Joe

But the bad news is I've heard they intend to run DOS on the receiver. :D

From the sound of the article above the PocketDish will use the same decoder as the 522 so it won't get us anything useful since the USB will just transfer the already encrypted files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)