dvr 522

westusr1

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have dvr 522 for just a week. I notice that this box seems to be on or fan is running all the time. I checked with dish tech and he told me that it is normal. All the LED's are off but I hear significant noise all the time. I am wondering if this normal or some problem with the box

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US.

I am sure it is normal. I can't really hear mine with all my other equipment on. No receiver really turns off.

My 522 makes noise after a reboot. Specifically, you can hear the hard drive spinning up. If you are close to it, you should hear some clicks as the hard drive is used. If you are not up close to it, it should not be making any audible noise. I would say you have a hard drive problem since that is really the only item inside that would make "significant noise."

Or, his original thought is correct - in that it could be the fan running because the box is in a place where it's running too hot. He should check that. ;)

n0qcu said:
How could you miss that big fan on the bottom side?

I didn't remove it from the box or install it. Normally, I don't make it a point to randomly pick up objects and look at the bottom of them.

Really it's the fan that makes the most noise during boot. As with many embedded devices, you want the fans running full spead (or close to it) during startup because until your temperature sensing hw/fw/sw is all initialized and running, you don't know what kind of environment you're in.

I have two 510's one in the den and one in the bedroom. I can barely here either hard drive. I can't remember hearing the fans either. Both are well ventilated. Could be hard of hearing though. Getting old. I do here them at start up though.

I really wish it had a sleep timer. I enjoy having the bedroom TV on as I fall asleep. I know, a true victim of civilization. :)

But in my case, the concern isn't noise or overheating. It's so I can save some unneccesary 6-8 hours of wear on the ole' hard drive each night. If you know what I mean. Wait, what, where was I. Anyways, I'm not going to get one of those 'sleep timer enabling' universal remote controls that sends the 'power button' code at a certain time. That's just a cheap hack.

If the 522 is too loud, it's almost certainly the fan. When I first got mine, I had it in a cabinet and the fan ran almost constantly. I moved it to open-air, and now it's as quiet as can be.

I had mine in a shelf and the fan was running constantly and it was hot to the touch.

I placed my laptop cooling pad ($30 @ Best Buy) under it and plugged it into the USB port on the back of the 522 for power. Now the DVR fan never runs, it's cool to the touch, and the laptop cooling pad fan is a lot quieter and does the job great.

Awesome. ...but now I need another laptop cooling pad. =)

Wow!

So the USB port sends power....I thought it was still totally inactive.

Thanks for the tip!

Circuit City has the same pad for $23.99.

But isn't that pad only about half the size of the 522? How do you set the 522 on it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts