DVR 625 Caller ID Inop

jdfurn

Original poster
May 6, 2005
We recently had a 625 and a 322 installed. The caller ID hasn't worked yet. Dish says it must be the phone line (and they sent another 625 to confirm it), even though my phone works OK. It is enabled and the DVR says the connection is good. The installer says it must be the phone line also. The phone company said basically, (Sorry you're DVR doesn't work, but the phone does, so tough luck." I have DSL with filters installed on all phones and the DVR and 322. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to disconnect my house from the phone box outside and wire straight to the DVR from there and see if it works.

Both boxes?

I gather you mean it does not work on either box. I have DSL filters on all of my phones too, but it doesn't affect caller-ID on my 522 or the other boxes. Maybe try a new filter? Also, try rebooting. Sometimes the caller-ID on my 522 gets into a snit and quits working until I do a reboot.

Oh, one other thing, almost feel silly asking, but you DID go into the setup menu and enable it, right? Right?? :) It defaults to "disabled". I gather the installer did this if you didn't, but maybe you could check it.

Sounds familiar. I have DSL. My receivers (721 and 921) don't work on caller ID. They pass the phone line test. They can't call out. They won't authorize a PPV. What do I do?

I'd be really making a issue of it if they were wanting to charge me a "No Phoneline Fee" because of this.

Yeah, both

No problem with the question - both are enabled. And the DVR can call out. I have not messed with the 322 other than to ensure it's plugged into the filter and enabled (I currently very seldom watch with that receiver). As far as a new filter, not sure where to get them, but if I unplug the DSL and bypass the filter the DVR is on, that should accomplish the same thing, right?

The 625 has been rebooted many times.

Hmmmmmm....

Hmm, not sure if that does the same thing, but I think Radio Shack sells extra DSL filters. But, I'd try something you sort of suggested earlier, and that is to run a long extension outside and plug it into the interface box with no DSL connected. If it won't work connected straight to Ma Bell with the DSL out of the picture, it will never work, and maybe the box is defective. If it does work in that setup, and you then try it with a new DSL filter, you have what's called a mystery. :what

jdfurn,

Could you post what disk in your 625 and what hardware config; we have discussion with boba regarding common software for 522 and 625, but both doesn't have the 625 model. :)

625 Config

Well, I can't remember how big the HD is, but it holds 100 hours and diagnostics says it is 0x6022 (I think those in the know can tell the size from that?). Also, s/w is L237.

BTW, is this a Unix or Linux box?

Still no go

Well, I tried disconnecting the entire house from the phone company service entry and connected only the 625 directly, out the window and into the box - nope. Then, I disconnected that, traced the circuit to the 322 and hooked only it up. Of course, still no luck. Any ideas?

Wha??

:what ...Wow, so you can't get caller-ID even if the Dish box is the ONLY thing connected to Ma Bell... The only other test you could run is a cumbersome one, which is lugging and plugging at a friend's house that has caller-ID. It almost sounds like your boxes are defective and won't work the ID, but both boxes?!? Or your cords are no good, but if they can pull dial tone, then they're okay.

:confused: :what :confused: :shocked :what :eek:

Out of ideas

Yep, not sure what to do. Will the dvr work as a caller ID device if I just carry it across the street to my neighbors and plug into their phone line without the dish hooked up?

Maybe I'll try more calls or letters to my phone company (CenturyTel) and E*. Seems to me, if ALL of my caller ID devices don't work, the phone company should check it out. I could believe there's something "not quite right" about my phone signal. I just don't have the expertise to analyze it.

Well see. I'm rather annoyed, because one of the reasons I switched from DirecTivo was ID. So far I've found very little to recommend E* over DirecTivo. Oh well, it's not the first mistake I have made.

No filters

In essence I tried no filters when the house was disconnected and I hooked right in to the phone service.

Just curious, does DSL and phones work OK without the filters? Never tried it, just went along with the instructions.

Thanks for your input.

Dish says it's a bug

After more calls today, I was told there is a problem with the 625 and ID, but only on some of them, and it affects other receivers on the network. They think it's a s/w issue, and they hope to have it fixed within two weeks. Also, they have no way of knowing which ones work and which don't until they are tried. Sure wish they'd told me that sooner, I could have saved myself lots of time rewiring and troubleshooting.

The unit also has a quirk where if an episode is set on Dish Pass to record, and I check the Info, decide I've seen it, click Skip, a later showing then is put in the schedule. Then, I Skip that one. The last couple of nights when I did this, it decides to reboot after doing this a few times. Kind of annoying... This must be another s/w bug.