DVR-625 Hard Drive

tbanks204

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
I own my own DVR-625 Receiver and the hard drive failed, and I replaced it with one I have laying around, but I am still getting failed hard drive error, does this drive need formatting, or what do I need to do to get this drive to work? someone mentioned a list of hard drives that will work with this unit in case the one I have is not compatible. Thanks

The Yahoo group "dishmod" has the list of disks acceptable to your receiver. Your spare disk very likely is not on that list.

If you have the protection plan on the account, we do cover the equipment. If it is out of warranty, we can replace it for (last I checked) $75. If you'd like more details, please send me a PM

If I opt to buy a the VIP 722K HD receiver, with the 500GB hard Drive, is the hard drive replacement options better?

I've had both the 625 and the 722, and if you've got or plan to buy an HDTV I recommend moving up to the 722K. Only caveats that I remember from the switch is the 722 runs hotter, so make sure you put it in an unenclosed space, and the record buffer on the 722 is only 1 hour compared to the 2 hours on the 625. That was the biggest thing I remember I had to get used to.

If I opt to buy a the VIP 722K HD receiver, with the 500GB hard Drive, is the hard drive replacement options better?
Even with 722 you still need approved HD as replacements. You can use an external hard drive with the 722. Also follow up with Matt protection plan is best way to go.

I own my Receiver and it is out of warranty. I do not want to get involved with a dish network contract, that is why I buy my own receivers. Thanks

Replacing a receiver does not involve any commitment. If you add the protection plan, you do have to keep it for 120 before removing it, otherwise there is a $25 cancellation fee for it. This does not require an account level commitment.

I'll bite, how much is a protection Plan? I don't know that we really care about HD, but we might. Thanks I

Protection plan is $7/month, but as DIRT Matt said, you must keep it for 4 months or there is a $25 cancellation fee. So $28 protection plan + $75 which was quoted for a 625 replacement is $103. Not sure how that compares to buying a 722K outright.

Just curious, if I buy the protection plan, will that cover replacing the dead hard drive.

Just curious, if I buy the protection plan, will that cover replacing the dead hard drive.

Dish will not send someone to your home to replace the hard drive, they will send a replacement receiver in exchange for your current one. Dish will probably replace the hard drive and test it to make sure all is back to where the receiver should be, then use it as a replacement somewhere else.

Been lurking since my 625 started acting up more than a month ago. It would freeze for a few seconds and "squeak" may be a good description while playing back recordings or playing after clicking back from live. My 522 did the same thing after a couple years and it was the HD. This is my own 625 so wasn't too afraid to work on it after reading this and other forums.
What I did was open it up then ordered the exact same HD, all I did was put the new one in, it checked the HD then after a couple minutes asked me if I wanted to format the drive, it did and away we go. No clearing memory or formatting on the computer. Wouldn't mind having a spare HD if someone has had success with putting in a larger HD and can tell us the exact model and how it was done. Thanks for this forum and the earlier posts

just buy an old 501/508/510 and swap the drive out.

That's what I did for my parents - their 625's were dying and they didn't want to learn to operate something different, so i juiced them back up. I actually got the donor 510 receivers for free from someone here on satelliteguys.

If you subscribe to the Protection Plan and have the receiver replaced, there is NO charge to replace the receiver (the $75 is if you do not have the plan).

Then IMMEDIATELY cancel the plan when the replacement is working (charges will be pro-rated so a week will cost you about $1.63 [23 1/3 cents per day] plus the $25 cancellation fee is approximately $26.75).

So you get a refurbished receiver of the same model for less than $30, not >$100.

I believe that my interpretation is correct.

Last edited:
How will I know if the refurbished one will be any better? It's mine, I take responsibility for it rather than work the system (that's part of the trouble these days) and not have all the hassle boxing up, replying to emails & whatever else is involved and is was $47.45 w/shipping. I also have the old HD I can slap in and watch what is one it if I care to try. Thanks anyway.

It is becoming very difficult to find drives from the "approved" list, since they are no longer manufactured, Dish may be your only source to get a working receiver.