DVR 921 serious quality problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

McCormick1

Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
While I had read in many forums about the many problems people were having with the 921's, I was also taken in by all the hype and ads that talked about this great system and finally caved in a bought one. Needless to say I hoped that the few misfortunes that happened to other people were isolated incidence and I would be one of the lucky ones. Well, I regret to say that I was not. The technician came today to install the machine and it booted up fine. Picture looked great and everything went very smooth. The tech then proceeded with the "software upgrades" and half an hour later, the whole machine went dead and started rebooting itself endlessly. He proceeded to call Dish Network Tech Support and asked for "advanced Tech", they unfortunately were just as clueless and after half an hour of trying various unpluggins, resets and so forth, proceeded to tell us that our case would be transferred to the "921 Beta team" and they would call us back in.... "48 to to 72 hours"!!!! That is 2 to 4 days!! You got to be kidding me! That is the service we get for purchasing their top of the line DVR? Needless to say I am very disappointed in Dish Network for not having the proper support which results in us having to wait up to 4 days and secondly because I feel stupid not having listened to all the many complaints about this system. Obviously they have a very serious quality problem and Dish Network should be ashamed of themselves to even consider continuing selling these units. What is even more concerning is that once they get this unit fixed or replaced I will have the constant worry that I own this unit and when it dies in 1 to 2 years I will be out the $550. I felt the need to share this story as I feel that the more people talk about their disatisfaction that maybe these companies will start paying more attention to customer service and quality manufacturing. I will close with an even more disappointing discovery, these units proudly say "made in the USA". Shame on you! no wonder we are getting our butts kicked in the tech manufacturing field! I cannot recommend this unit, stay away from it!

Keep on top of them. I had to call 3 times over a week before I got my "24 hour" call back.

Post your problem over at DBSTalk and Mark will have someone call you.

Just so you know...

While the HW may be "made in the USA" the software is NOT.

Having had similar concerns, I returned my 921. BTW: My SA8300HDs (all three of them) have worked perfectly from day one. Not a single glitch.

DISH "Notwerk" has had this quality problem for years and gotten away with it. They have been releasing products that work just well enough to be usable but not to meet their advertising HYPE. It is a shame that the stock market can't get a true perspective of DISH Networks lack of customer service and quality. The corporations real value is it's stock mostly held by Charlie Ergin CEO.

Its simple as long as people keep buying their products and services that will keep putting out the crap they do.

Stop rewarding them with your money and then and ONLY THEN will they listen.

Paradox-SJ said:
Its simple as long as people keep buying their products and services that will keep putting out the crap they do.

Stop rewarding them with your money and then and ONLY THEN will they listen.

I totally agree. Today, Comcast is coming to my home to install service which will include an HD DVR. I don't have to buy the DVR, I get to rent it. It's $10 a month. That's 54.9 months for a break even. I also get all 4 networks and pBS in HD. Bye bye Charlie, you lose $110 a month.

McCormick1 said:
While I had read in many forums about the many problems people were having with the 921's, I was also taken in by all the hype and ads that talked about this great system and finally caved in a bought one. Needless to say I hoped that the few misfortunes that happened to other people were isolated incidence and I would be one of the lucky ones. Well, I regret to say that I was not. The technician came today to install the machine and it booted up fine. Picture looked great and everything went very smooth. The tech then proceeded with the "software upgrades" and half an hour later, the whole machine went dead and started rebooting itself endlessly. He proceeded to call Dish Network Tech Support and asked for "advanced Tech", they unfortunately were just as clueless and after half an hour of trying various unpluggins, resets and so forth, proceeded to tell us that our case would be transferred to the "921 Beta team" and they would call us back in.... "48 to to 72 hours"!!!! That is 2 to 4 days!! You got to be kidding me! That is the service we get for purchasing their top of the line DVR? Needless to say I am very disappointed in Dish Network for not having the proper support which results in us having to wait up to 4 days and secondly because I feel stupid not having listened to all the many complaints about this system. Obviously they have a very serious quality problem and Dish Network should be ashamed of themselves to even consider continuing selling these units. What is even more concerning is that once they get this unit fixed or replaced I will have the constant worry that I own this unit and when it dies in 1 to 2 years I will be out the $550. I felt the need to share this story as I feel that the more people talk about their disatisfaction that maybe these companies will start paying more attention to customer service and quality manufacturing. I will close with an even more disappointing discovery, these units proudly say "made in the USA". Shame on you! no wonder we are getting our butts kicked in the tech manufacturing field! I cannot recommend this unit, stay away from it!

Dude? You let them install a 921 that wasn't working, and let the guy leave? That's insane. Would you buy something in the store that was broken, and then complain about it? I would have told him to pack that $hit up and take it back with him, and then come back when he had something that was working. Sux 2 be you I guess. my 921 kicks MAJOR ass!

I just wish Dish or DirecTV would buy out TIVO. I want a TIVO box...not their generic piece of crap.

fenwah said:
I just wish Dish or DirecTV would buy out TIVO. I want a TIVO box...not their generic piece of crap.

I think you're in the wrong forums dude. I won't speak for the other guys here in the *E forums, but owning a 921, I could really care less what *D and TIVO are doing, LOO. Besides, *D already announced they are working on their own DVR technology and will probably kick TIVO to the curb shortly after that comes out. Besides, TIVO doesn't impress me all that much. Especially the standalone boxes that they charge $12.95/mo for.

He's in the right forum.

This is the Dish HDTV forum, right?

Also, there are TiVo features I'd LOVE to see get added into other DVRs. Remote scheduling? Way cool. Ethernet network capability? Awesome.

You'd rather pay $4.98 per receiver and get nothing?

ocaddict said:
I think you're in the wrong forums dude. I won't speak for the other guys here in the *E forums, but owning a 921, I could really care less what *D and TIVO are doing, LOO. Besides, *D already announced they are working on their own DVR technology and will probably kick TIVO to the curb shortly after that comes out. Besides, TIVO doesn't impress me all that much. Especially the standalone boxes that they charge $12.95/mo for.

wmhjr said:
This is the Dish HDTV forum, right?

Also, there are TiVo features I'd LOVE to see get added into other DVRs. Remote scheduling? Way cool. Ethernet network capability? Awesome.

You'd rather pay $4.98 per receiver and get nothing?

Yes. Don't get me wrong, those options are way cool. But not worth 100$ a year extra. Atleast not IMHO. My 921 is basically "networked" anyways, since it runs both my living room and bedroom tv's. :D

I realize not with D*, but

TiVo "basic" service (which includes everything that Dish does) is FREE. No charge. It's the upgraded service that's more money. At least with all the late model TiVo units. I also realize that the D* unit is not similar in that regard.

ocaddict said:
Yes. Don't get me wrong, those options are way cool. But not worth 100$ a year extra. Atleast not IMHO. My 921 is basically "networked" anyways, since it runs both my living room and bedroom tv's. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts