DVR 942 is a piece of junk!!!!!!!!

junianby

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Uniontown, PA
My 942 has had audio sync problems since day one and i have Pixelating and smearing on the right side of the screen in 1080i and 720p. I have to set it in 480i to watch anything. I have called and talked to advance tech support 3 times and I get the same thing every time, " Wait till the next software update, it should fix it." Does anyone have any suggestions? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

StevenD said:
"Wait till the next software update, it should fix it."

I was going to say the same thing so I started laughing when I saw your post. But to the OP, there has been talk that they are pretty far along in fixing the issues that you are seeing. I wouldn't think you would have to wait much longer for the fix. Hang in there.

junianby said:
My 942 has had audio sync problems since day one and i have Pixelating and smearing on the right side of the screen in 1080i and 720p. I have to set it in 480i to watch anything. I have called and talked to advance tech support 3 times and I get the same thing every time, " Wait till the next software update, it should fix it." Does anyone have any suggestions? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
When was day one for you? What's odd is I have had my 942 for about a week now and haven't really seen any major problems with it yet. I have been totally pleased so far.

FunkyBoss said:
When was day one for you? What's odd is I have had my 942 for about a week now and haven't really seen any major problems with it yet. I have been totally pleased so far.

Same with me, I've had mine for about two weeks and it has been great so far. Only recent problem was yesterday - watching a DVR'd program, trying to FF 30 s and the video feed went out - I could see the program guide, info etc. but not the video, just audio. Rebooted the 942 and everything started working again.

I've had my 942 for about 3 months. I talked to tech support again today and they said the same thing. The next update should fix it!

942 not likely to be fixed soon

Last week I would have said that everything would be fixed in the next update but I recently got a very disturbing email from a 942 engineer. He told me that they were "unaware of any outstanding sync issues with the 942".

My jaw hit the floor as I read that. I've seen sync complaints since I started to read this board in October. Is Dish really that clueless?

His email later notes there most complaints are about Voom so it might be a provider issue. I replied to him that I've seen the sync problems on ALL channels and that sometimes I can rewind and have the sync change. To me that proves that it is a playback bug.

Frankly my patience is starting to wear thin. If the sync and audio dropout bugs with the 942 aren't fixed by the new year I'm going back to cable. :mad:

I have not had audio sync problems on mine but that doesn't mean they are not there. Considering I have to use closed captions I probably wouldn't notice it. The few times I have had sync problems jump the show back a few times then go back to real time and it usually fixes it.

I do see the pixelization on the right side of the screen. It can be very bad sometimes making a show almost unwatchable. My wife doesn't even notice it unless I say something about it. When I first got my 942 it did not do that. I am sure it will be fixed in an upcoming software upgrade

My audio sync problems are now widespread on most channels, variable in nature (way out of sync that moves to almost in sync and then out again), and the pixelation macro-blocking is just getting almost unwatchable. It's astounding, and to make matters worse, I'm getting no help at all from Dish. Four phone calls with notes taken, and three times they tell me that an engineer will call me back within 48-72 hours. No phone call at all, with three different phone numbers to reach me. The final call I made to them, and advanced rep said that "I don't know who told you that an engineer would call you back...they are not authorized to call out, and we cannot just transfer you to them". I too will wait and see what the new year brings, but whether it's a recording or live, the quality is awful. And here I have this new 55" plasma just screaming to get watchable content.

You must have a bad 942. I am not having any of the problems you described. I have 2 /942s on both of my Toshiba hd tvs. I had some audio synch problems on Voom but that was over 3 weeks ago and now they are fine. You need to get your receiver sent back and get an exchange . You shouldn't be having that many problems. The 942 is the best dvr receiver that Dish has ever made and I am really enjoying mine. Maybe you are having synch problems due to your audio receiver. Mine was not adjusted before on many different things and I worked to get the delay right, etc and now it is fine.

MikeD-C05 said:
You must have a bad 942. I am not having any of the problems you described. I have 2 /942s on both of my Toshiba hd tvs. I had some audio synch problems on Voom but that was over 3 weeks ago and now they are fine. You need to get your receiver sent back and get an exchange . You shouldn't be having that many problems. The 942 is the best dvr receiver that Dish has ever made and I am really enjoying mine. Maybe you are having synch problems due to your audio receiver. Mine was not adjusted before on many different things and I worked to get the delay right, etc and now it is fine.
All I know is that from late June to mid-September my 942 was awesome. Then with L282 it went nuts. I don't feel that I should have to buy a new HT receiver so that I can utilize the latest audio delay adjustments...my Yamaha has and does work great. Anyway, how would syncing with my receiver help when the audio out-of-sync problems with the 942 are variable, not static. I can't even get a Dish advanced tech to suggest, let alone start the process, of getting me a new 942. I'm so frustrated; all I want to know is when the hell is the fix coming down?????? I have had Dish since 1997, and I had to sign a 12 month commitment to lease the 942 (lucky guy, huh?), but I'm starting to think now that 2 1/2 out of the 5 1/2 months I've had this thing have been completely unsatisfactory. Who knows what I'll do, but I'm sure tired of being a beta tester without the ability to have my voice heard.

I also have been with Dish since 1/18/97 and I too have a Yamaha a/v receiver and I went through all the Yamaha set up instructions twice, to get everything just the way I thought it should sound , You know the room size , delays etc. I actually read the manual and followed it to the smallest detail .

Anyway after the last update the synch problems went away on the Voom channels. Now of course since Dish started screwing with the resolution, bitrates etc, they are once again not watchable -due to audio drop outs and pixelations. But that is another thread. Anyway when Dish isn't screwing with the above , the audio synch problems are not there. I am not having any problems on my other 942 and a Rca a/v receiver either.

I really think you have a bad receiver. Software updates can sometimes screw up a receiver. I had a 301 once that got a new software update and all it did was blink on and off. Had to be replaced with a new one. See if you can get advanced tech support to get a replacement 942 sent to you. You have the dish protection plan or the extended warrenty right? You can add it via the internet and still get a replacement if not. Then after it is fixed you can drop it again.

After I got L282 software updates , my two 942 s are actually operating better. No more dolby digital problems on the other tuner any longer , and that was my big gripe. So if it can fix problems on some 942s it makes sense that it can make problems on some 942s . So yes I think the software update screwed up your receiver and you need a replacement.

I really think you have a bad receiver. Software updates can sometimes screw up a receiver...See if you can get advanced tech support to get a replacement 942 sent to you. You have the dish protection plan or the extended warrenty right?...So yes I think the software update screwed up your receiver and you need a replacement.
Yes, I have the protection plan, and I think that that is the direction that I will go. Thank you for a sane, reasoned response. I'll advise how things develop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts