DVR as X-mas gift for Dish user?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rrobe99999

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Destin, Fl
My dad has a Dish system, and has told me that he wished he had gotten the DVR with it. I assume that he got whatever free equipment is offered to new subscribers. I was thinking about getting him a new 510 DVR from Ebay for his X-mas gift, but am not sure if it would work out for him.

1.) Has anyone had experience with buying a 510 DVR from Ebay or another electronics seller and getting it activated?
2.) Is there a possibility that Dish would refuse to activate it?
3.) Even though dad would own the receiver, would there still be an extra mothly fee from Dish for "DVR service"?
4.) Does the 522 DVR require a special (dual LNB) dish to get 2 signals, or would that work with whatever dish dad has?

1 & 2 The problem could be if the receiver was not free and clear as far as Dish was concerned. That could be outstanding balances and not released. There will be a $5 DVR fee with the 510 not so with a 501 or 508. The 522 requires 2 feeds and you are not supposed to be able to buy them only lease them.

Remember there is no DVR fee if your dad subscribes to AEP. Also, some have stated that they had trouble activating a 522 that they purchased (as it's supposed to be for lease customers only). As far as buying off eBay, you should have no trouble with someone who's feedback is good. Just ask the seller if the receiver is free & clear of any balances, get the serial number and call E* to verify.

Before you spend your own money, you might have him check whether he's eligible for any of the Dishin' it Up promotions, such as leasing a 510 for $5 per month. When I checked, they told me that the $5 additional receiver fee is waived in those situations.

I did this for my dad last year. I told them it was a gift and what they let me do was put a credit on his acct for the price of the DVR. Then on Christmas Day (yes, Christmas Day) we called Dish back and scheduled an install. They were out at 8:00 the next morning for the install.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided that the easiest, foolproof gift will be what StevenD did. I'll just put some credit on dad's account, and then he can decide which DVR to get or just use it for his bill.

I bought one (501) for the wife and it was the best present I ever bought her in 18 years. Of course I also bought one for me :)

Now she has a 508, and I have her 501 :(

Bern

I am thinking about buying one for my girlfriend as a birthday gift for our bedroom. Currently we have a 301 receiver there - can I just buy a 508 from the dishstore and unhook the 301 and hook up the 508 and be finished? Or is there anything else involved - or any other costs that would show up on my bill?

Welcome shaneotool.

If you get a 501 or 508, there are no additional costs. All you do is swap it with the 301, call Dish to activate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)