DVR fee replaced by Hopper fee on new bill

Yes I can see DISH plotting and planning next year's price hike now. ON your bill you will see: "NEW DVR FEE" in addition to your regular priced Hopper FEE and so on and so on .... Any thing to get that average price per customer paid monthly up.

If Dish just sticks to price increases without inserting bogus fees, then they could end up being more honest than others. Other providers are actively playing new games by adding below the line "fees" for broadcast networks.

Obviously, you could interpret this is a move to insert some other bogus fee down the road by freeing up some room on the bill. We'll see what happens...

Well, now when they increase the Hopper fee, they won't have to increase the DVR fee as well.

I'm still only paying $7 in fees here (for now). :)

I think you are all reading into this way too much. It's just a name change and they do things like this all the time. They try things out and if they don't work they go back to what they had. Just recently they had a change to how new customers get billed when they sign up. They were going to charge the customer $10 upfront and then the rest of the bill a couple weeks later in order to avoid charging the full first month right away. This only lasted about a month because so many retailers complained about how much more confusing it was to the customer, it went back to the way is was before now.

I think you are all reading into this way too much. It's just a name change and they do things like this all the time. They try things out and if they don't work they go back to what they had. Just recently they had a change to how new customers get billed when they sign up. They were going to charge the customer $10 upfront and then the rest of the bill a couple weeks later in order to avoid charging the full first month right away. This only lasted about a month because so many retailers complained about how much more confusing it was to the customer, it went back to the way is was before now.

I don't know about that Sherman. After all I have seen DISH charge Tv2 $5.00 connection fees if you didn't have your phone connected. There was a time when you paid a DVR fee for each dvr receiver on your account , which made me dump all my 722s on my account a few years back . That was after you used to be able to avoid them if you had AEP . Lets remember the NO FEE 500 /501 dvrs that after years, suddenly had a Dvr fee attached to it in 2010. I had a couple of those I had to dump to avoid the fee. I've seen the additional receiver fees from 2010 that skyrocketed the price from only $6.00 to anywhere to &17.00 depending on what class of receiver you had. Last year they brought back the $10.00 HD fee after24 months for new subs after the" NO HD FEE for life "campaign that they ran for years. And lets not forget the latest change that took our 2nd hoppers from only $7.00 to $12.00 a month. By the way I saw that coming and said as much when they said that the 2nd hopper was only going to by $7.00. I said then that they were going to get all of us to take a 2nd hopper ,because is was so cheap, and then hike the price on us. THEY DID just that a few months later. It isn't that much of a stretch to see them re-institute the DVR fee, after a short absence and a change of the fee to just the "hopper fee". This is DISH after all and they seem to be run by the bean counters who put revenue from FEES over just about anything, even customer growth. After all most 18 years with DISH the one thing I have seen over and over is that there isn't a FEE that DISH doesn't like to add to the bill in order to get the average cost per customer up . That is how they keep the price of their advertised programming packs so low in comparison to the competition : THE FEES, that sprinkle all our bills in their numerous incarnations over the years.:thumbdown

I don't know about that Sherman. After all I have seen DISH charge Tv2 $5.00 connection fees if you didn't have your phone connected. There was a time when you paid a DVR fee for each dvr receiver on your account , which made me dump all my 722s on my account a few years back . That was after you used to be able to avoid them if you had AEP . Lets remember the NO FEE 500 /501 dvrs that after years, suddenly had a Dvr fee attached to it in 2010. I had a couple of those I had to dump to avoid the fee. I've seen the additional receiver fees from 2010 that skyrocketed the price from only $6.00 to anywhere to &17.00 depending on what class of receiver you had. Last year they brought back the $10.00 HD fee after24 months for new subs after the" NO HD FEE for life "campaign that they ran for years. And lets not forget the latest change that took our 2nd hoppers from only $7.00 to $12.00 a month. By the way I saw that coming and said as much when they said that the 2nd hopper was only going to by $7.00. I said then that they were going to get all of us to take a 2nd hopper ,because is was so cheap, and then hike the price on us. THEY DID just that a few months later. It isn't that much of a stretch to see them re-institute the DVR fee, after a short absence and a change of the fee to just the "hopper fee". This is DISH after all and they seem to be run by the bean counters who put revenue from FEES over just about anything, even customer growth. After all most 18 years with DISH the one thing I have seen over and over is that there isn't a FEE that DISH doesn't like to add to the bill in order to get the average cost per customer up . That is how they keep the price of their advertised programming packs so low in comparison to the competition : THE FEES, that sprinkle all our bills in their numerous incarnations over the years.:thumbdown

Once again I think you read way too much into fees. Every pay TV provider has extra fees, some more hidden than others. Have you ever looked at the list of fees certain cable companies have? I completely agree that extra fees suck, I pay almost $40 in them. What just happened to Hopper bills and what happened to the fees you mentioned are a little different. Those were actually changes in fees, and now they are just changing the name of the fee. They change the names of fees at least once a year to try and make them less confusing to customers.

As for the $5 phone line, I think you are interpreting that the wrong way. They treated dual tuners the same as two separate receivers and billed $5 for side 2, the same as a second receiver. The customer had the option to waive that fee by connecting a phone line. Since then Dish has waived that fee altogether, the only pay TV provider I know of that doesn't charge for a second TV. You comment about charging for HD doesn't hold much water yet until they actually start charging for HD. The customer still has the ability to get the HD free but it's for 24 months instead of for life. Don't be surprised that the promotion has changed by the time that 24 month period ends. It's not worth complaining about until Dish actually starts charging for it.

Once again I think you read way too much into fees. Every pay TV provider has extra fees, some more hidden than others. Have you ever looked at the list of fees certain cable companies have? I completely agree that extra fees suck, I pay almost $40 in them. What just happened to Hopper bills and what happened to the fees you mentioned are a little different. Those were actually changes in fees, and now they are just changing the name of the fee. They change the names of fees at least once a year to try and make them less confusing to customers.

As for the $5 phone line, I think you are interpreting that the wrong way. They treated dual tuners the same as two separate receivers and billed $5 for side 2, the same as a second receiver. The customer had the option to waive that fee by connecting a phone line. Since then Dish has waived that fee altogether, the only pay TV provider I know of that doesn't charge for a second TV. You comment about charging for HD doesn't hold much water yet until they actually start charging for HD. The customer still has the ability to get the HD free but it's for 24 months instead of for life. Don't be surprised that the promotion has changed by the time that 24 month period ends. It's not worth complaining about until Dish actually starts charging for it.

I disagree Sherman, but I have made my point and I do not wish to argue about it. Time will tell who is right, but if recent DISH history is any indicator , it will be me.:wink

Dish did not change the name of a fee for nothing. There must be a catch that will net them more fees$$$$$$$ in the future. Do not close your eyes, but bend over, it is coming and we are going to get it in the a**.
I think they will probably crow that they do not charge a "DVR fee". Also, this move gives them some head room to charge a DVR Fee in the future. The important thing for Dish is that this move has NO LOSS of $$$ on the bills. I would certainly bet on Dish bringing back the DVR Fee when they have higher programming costs. From the tone of your post it's sounds like you need to "cut the cord" to protect yourself from getting it where you said you will get it.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Having more and more fees does get old but such is life. As much as I love both of my Hoppers and the whole home DVR, I do not need these spoils. If it gets too expensive to have all the add on features then I will just have to get rid of them. It's just another everyday life decision we have to make and in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty minor issue to deal with.

If Dish wants to change names of fees then so be it. If they actually are doing it to hide a new fee then so be it. It's their business and they can charge whatever they want to make the money they need to keep providing a service. In return we have the right to say that we can not afford it and drop the service or downgrade. They are not "screwing us over." I hate when people say this. Saying this just means you don't want to pay it. I have to hear it almost every day when someone buys a part or has to pay for service, we are always screwing them over. We are not screwing anyone over, we need to charge what we do in order to pay our employees and keep the doors open.

Last edited:
Those are special compensations and awards, and from 2011. What their actual pay is, is from businessweek. I have a hard time taking Hollywood reporter as a serious news source for investments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts