Dvr Fee ?

Dish decided to collect money for some and amazingly enough, they didnt start charging for the older ones :)

Why do they?? Because they can...

hmmmm
ok.I thought maybe their was a tivo type service with some but not the others.

The 501/508/510's do not have this fee correct ???

the 501 & 508...no
The 510...yes

the 721, 501, 508, 7100, 7200 have no fee
I think the 921 does...the 522 does...the 510 does

The only difference between my 508 and a 510 is the hard drive space (80 vs. 100) and the fee :)

Because Dish has no idea what they are doing.

they know if the started charging non dvr fee customer they would thrugh a fit. but they wanted to also make a couple of extra buxks on the side. So go figure.

The 7100 and 7200 have it as well. However may customers hada free period extended or have the fee waived.

GaryPen said:
The most amazing part of it is that the 501, 508, and 510 have exactly the same functionality, only different sized hard drives. Yet, they charge the fee for the 510.

All discussion aside if it is reasonable that they charge this fee, I dont find it that amazing. Typically grandfather clause as I see it. I would have been more amazed and pissed had they started charging me for my current receivers that are in service.

I hope that they come to their senses and at a minimum make this a per account charge and not per receiver.

WeeJavaDude said:
All discussion aside if it is reasonable that they charge this fee, I dont find it that amazing. Typically grandfather clause as I see it. I would have been more amazed and pissed had they started charging me for my current receivers that are in service.

Wow. That is some mangled English.

telecaster said:
Why do some DISH recievers have a DVR fee with them while others dont?

THanks
Because us "Early adopters" were Guinea pigs while Dish tried to join the "Tivo" revolution and now that they think they have a viable product, they are sticking it to people who buy the newer boxes.

In a word: GREED. ;)

Because when Dish came out with their own DVR receivers after the Microsoft 7X00 DishPlayer fiasco they decided to not charge any fees to be competitive with Tivo and the other companies. This would get more people to get the DVR service being competitive with DirecTv's Tivo receivers. They decided to start charging for it last year because they seen some profit potential but also decided to use the money to subsidize the promotions for the DVR's because they knew that customers with DVR's are happier customers and more likely to keep their service.

WeeJavaDude said:

I hope that they come to their senses and at a minimum make this a per account charge and not per receiver.

Remember all those posts from Bob Haller at that point in time where he was certain Dish would eventually go back and phase this in for all their DVRS?!?!

I was told from a dish CSR that the reason there is a fee on the 510 and not the 501 and 508 is because the 510 stores more of the EPG and would have quicker/better EPG functionality that the other boxes (that the 501 and 508 would get that "Please wait while the..." crap while those older boxes download the guide if you try to go far ahead in the guide). Is that not true??? they store and keep the same amount of guide info?? Is anybody sure, IE have both a 508 and a 510?? thanks JOn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts