DVR fee

I don't think I understand, Dish does not charge for use of an EHD on the VIP receivers. It does charge a one time $40 fee to add it to the 211, but that's it no ongoing fee. The poster I responded to is worried they might, some day, add a monthly fee so won't get one.
I understand that. They only charge the fee now for 211's. My point was, it would seem like a good idea not to charge a fee at all, to encourage people to acquire a large library of stuff they'd lose the second they left Dish.

And you are correct, if there is no fee now, I doubt they'd retroactively charge a fee later on. It could come back, but while it is free, people should ride that EHD Train.

I don't think I understand, Dish does not charge for use of an EHD on the VIP receivers. It does charge a one time $40 fee to add it to the 211, but that's it no ongoing fee. The poster I responded to is worried they might, some day, add a monthly fee so won't get one.

I wonder if that person drives a car. Using his rational, he shouldn't because he might get into an accident.

Since the 211 isnt a DVR to begin with how can Dish control that? That is opening a big can of worms because lets say I hook up a HDD to my 211. Dish charges me $6 monthly fee
I unhook the HDD from the 211 so now there is no DVR so Dish can't charge a fee

No way Dish can control that.

Just a clarification here

VIP DVR's do not have the activation fee for an EHD (the 211 and 211k are also VIP receivers)

The VIP 211/211k and 411 does still require the one time $40 fee to activate the EHD feature, and there is no monthly fee for this feature

Exactly! The DVR is merely just one of the biggest innovations in television viewing since color television came out and to charge $6 a month to be able to watch any programming on your schedule, and being able to save time and reduce frustration by skipping commercials, pause live television to meet your own needs, be able to rewind live television in order to catch something you may have missed is absolutely immoral. *rolling eyes*
It sure is if you bought and paid for your DVR. They also charge $3 more per month for DVR's added to the account vs non-DVR's THat double-dipping is also immoral.

Too each customer comes their own fee. If Dish fee increases were so bad, why is it nearly impossible to get the same sort of programming at Directv for the same price I get at Dish?
Actually, it's not nearly impossible, depending on the programming. It's quite possible, in fact.

That is flat out fiction. The 722k is remarkably solid.
No. It's still a little mushy in some spots.

Should that apply to cars and other electronics as well? Getting grandfathered for a year or two sounds like a pretty nice bonus.
If it's a subscription service for their car or electronics, as opposed to the HW itself, then yes.

TheWaterman said:
Hi,
I've been with dish network since 1998. Now I'm going to dump them for full video and movies off the internet. Why. Well for one thing I can view Netflix any where I want. Can't lug DVR and Dish around. I do this in my rig with my laptop with free WiFi at truck stop's. I've had basic down to 5.99 then up to 9.99 for just local. Then out of the blue they bump me $14.99. Called and was told tough luck. Well.. now here come's the DVR fee of $6.00 per month. I own, yes own all the equipment. 501 with dish. This extortion makes no sense at all. It would be like if the cable company or T.V. station would charge you for your own VHS, Computer or other method to record t.v.'s show's for one's own use. This fee is just another rip off of the customer. Way to go Dish Network. Your practice will drive more and more people to install HTPC's and get their entertainment off the web. Soon to be ex-customer. After 13yrs of being a loyal customer. I/we continue to get screwed by them. HD T.V. is another scam to get into your pockets and that's another story.

Lol let me know what gas station you switch to when prices go up!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Hi,
I've been with dish network since 1998. Now I'm going to dump them for full video and movies off the internet. Why. Well for one thing I can view Netflix any where I want. Can't lug DVR and Dish around. I do this in my rig with my laptop with free WiFi at truck stop's. I've had basic down to 5.99 then up to 9.99 for just local. Then out of the blue they bump me $14.99. Called and was told tough luck. Well.. now here come's the DVR fee of $6.00 per month. I own, yes own all the equipment. 501 with dish. This extortion makes no sense at all. It would be like if the cable company or T.V. station would charge you for your own VHS, Computer or other method to record t.v.'s show's for one's own use. This fee is just another rip off of the customer. Way to go Dish Network. Your practice will drive more and more people to install HTPC's and get their entertainment off the web. Soon to be ex-customer. After 13yrs of being a loyal customer. I/we continue to get screwed by them. HD T.V. is another scam to get into your pockets and that's another story.

There is so much wrong there it's hard to know where to start.
"Well.. now here come's the DVR fee of $6.00 per month. I own, yes own all the equipment. 501 with dish. This extortion makes no sense at all. It would be like if the cable company or T.V. station would charge you for your own VHS, Computer or other method to record t.v.'s show's for one's own use."
You rant like Dish is the only one to charge a DVR fee. Nice try. That cost is pretty much universal. Owning your own equipment has nothing, nada, zipidy do da - to with fees to use Dishnetwork, Direct TV, Comcast, or whoever's services. By the way, Dish does not charge you one red cent to record to your DVD or VHS recorder. Again, nice try.
They charge you for their services, which they have to pay for and for which you apparently want for free, that allows you to record a Dish receiver. They are providing a service, that you may own the equipment is irrelevant. Once you pay that fee, you can record to anything else you own, (VHS etc..) no charge.

TheWaterman remains at precisely 1 post back on P2. Seems as though he's not interested in our collective wisdom. :(

Since the 211 isnt a DVR to begin with how can Dish control that? That is opening a big can of worms because lets say I hook up a HDD to my 211. Dish charges me $6 monthly fee
I unhook the HDD from the 211 so now there is no DVR so Dish can't charge a fee

No way Dish can control that.

Nope. But it wouldn't stop Dish from simply raising the $7/monthly fee on the 211 to compensate for the lack of a DVR fee ...
Three bucks more per receiver would cost me more than the monthly $6 DVR fee.

Have actually contemplated suspending one of the receivers anyway to save a few bucks (it's hooked up to an old SD set anyway) and just backfeeding a ch. 3 signal to it, at least temporarily. I've just been too lazy to get under the house and pull rg-6 around to where I need it.

Besides, with my luck, as soon as I do that they will raise some BS fee by $7, so I won't save anything anyway.

:behindsofa:

Wouldn't be easier to go to another provider and just pay more every month then worry about Dish raising costs?

Wouldn't be easier to go to another provider and just pay more every month then worry about Dish raising costs?
I think some people think it is a Constitutional right to have a receiver for every television.

Not necessarily a Constitutional right, but it IS a requirement if you want to control each television individually.

And you get that with an antenna. When you 'subscribe' to a paid carrier, you have no rights whatsoever, other than to go back to the antenna....

I think we have bigger things to worry about than whether Dish will raise the fee on a 211.

I say they will not , because it would require them to start tracking whether each and every 211 was being used as a DVR or not, that would be aproblem, especially if a particular 211 iwas not connected via ethernet or phone line.

Reclassifying the 211 would be more trouble than it is worth in more ways than one.

A flick of the switch turned the DVR function on.
Another flick of the switch can turn the DVR function off.

Just sayin'.

Well they said there would NEVER be a dvr fee on the 501/508 pvrs and you see that changed. So it is possible they could do the same thing with the 211k dvr function OR decide to charge a monthly fee on it like the other dvrs.

Tampa8 said:

Maybe they meant with all the recordings on ehd it makes it more dificult to leave. Without the dish dvr those recordings are useless.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)