DVR fees?!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmc-dsm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Excuse me for my ignorance but a 6$ DVR fee is for what? In Canada, no providers will charge a DVR fee. What's that crap?.....

Welcome to Dish.....where fees are a plenty

Dish has been charging that for years. It gives you the "privilege" of saving stuff to a DVR. If you had a 211k they dont have a hard dirve in them but for a one time $40 fee you can add a hard drive and make it a DVR and have no fees after that

DirecTV charges $7, so this is not exclusive to Dish. I also have free HD for life and no equipment fees, both of which I was paying to D*. Getting nickel and dimed is often, unfortunately, a fact of life sometimes.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortunately I have a 612.....but let's say someone one has a 612 and doesn't need DVR capabilities, does Dish activate the receiver with a code that will deactivate DVR fonctions?

DirecTV charges $7, so this is not exclusive to Dish. I also have free HD for life and no equipment fees, both of which I was paying to D*. Getting nickel and dimed is often, unfortunately, a fact of life sometimes.

Oh....equipment fees! God....what's that for?

mmc-dsm said:
Thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortunately I have a 612.....but let's say someone one has a 612 and doesn't need DVR capabilities, does Dish activate the receiver with a code that will deactivate DVR fonctions?

No, if you don't want DVR functions you'd have to downgrade to a reciever without DVR capabilities. The $6 fee is totally worth it though...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I also have free HD for life and no equipment fees, both of which I was paying to D*.

shouldnt have had to pay for HD. If you were a current D* sub and had auto pay it was free
Equipment fees? I assume you had more than 1 receiver with Directv and now dont with Dish?

Most cable companies, Verizon, and Direct all have dvr fees hear in the US. Also fees for each receiver after the first. They probably would put a useage fee on your toilet, if they could.

The fee phenom is common practice in the states, started a little over a decade ago. Most service companies do it as it allows them to obscure what your *total* bill will be. That way, they can market a lower price in advertising. In the airline industry, bag fees began as a way to make up for fuel cost. Of course, when oil dropped below $105 a barrel, the fees stayed. It's been such a big revenue stream that many other fees have been added and passed on to you so that when you go to Orbitz and the like, you only see part of the price to get on the plane. XM/Sirius radio has a "Royalty" fee. Makes about as much sense as paying an aluminum fee and plastic fee when you buy a spool of blank DVDs.

All it is, is a way for them to market a lower monthly price. All the cable/DBS companies do it now. They want to attract people with a seeming low price, but by the time you add on all the fees you are paying a lot more.

Welcome to Dish.....where fees are a plenty

Dish has been charging that for years. It gives you the "privilege" of saving stuff to a DVR. If you had a 211k they dont have a hard dirve in them but for a one time $40 fee you can add a hard drive and make it a DVR and have no fees after that

+1

Why a DVR fee?
Repeat after me:

Because they can.

And BTW the $6 doesn't account for the additional $3 DVR fee ($10 vs $7) per additional DVR receiver while they tout the "account level" DVR fee.

Many of you will not remember, but Ma Bell used to charge extra for every phone in your house. And, you had to get your phone from them. It didn't matter that you only had one phone line and could only hold one conversation at a time. Before that, you had a party line which only allowed you to use your phone when your neighbor was not using his.

Answer? Because they can.

It is simple, Dish wants to advertise that they have $19.99*** or $29.99*** packages (the other companies do the same with their price points).

***Ooops did we mention it is only available the first year, includes one TV in HD (29.99 package other is SD output 222). It costs $6/month more if you want a DVR (722k), $7/month more if you want the second TV in HD (211k), $40 one time fee if you want DVR on both TVs +7/month (single tuner only 211ks), $17 more if you want hopper for 2 TVs, etc.

It is not all the bad, if you only have one TV and do not count a $40 one time DVR fee you could get 1 TV in HD with a DVR (one sat tuner + OTA) at the base rate. Everything else is where they make their money.

Many of you will not remember, but Ma Bell used to charge extra for every phone in your house. And, you had to get your phone from them.
Yeh, that was common until the early '80s. Made by Western Electric here in Indy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)